Gear Selection August 03, 2011 01:53AM
What would be a good 3 gear selection along with direct to put in a 3 inch turbo open rpm profarm IH tractor. Don't want to get the wrong ones

Re: Gear Selection August 03, 2011 09:22PM
Depending on ring and pinion ratio, tire circum and engine cubes. I run a 466 with a gt42 open rpm at 8500 and 9500 lbs, 24.5x32 double cuts and a 13x 49 ring and pinion. (706, 806) I have no TA, sped the constant mesh gears up so stock 3rd is one under direct, made a spacer on the 1st and 2nd gear cluster and now only have 1 tooth over direct there. I usually run direct or 1 over in the 8500 and direct in the 9500. have maybe only used 1 under 3 times.( witch is good cause it is the weakest gear in the tranny). If your new to this, the 13x49 ring and pinion is approx. 5% faster than a stock 1066 ring and pinion. And each transmission gear tooth is 6%. Go to allied precisions website and print off the gear chart. It will give you all the different combinations for constant mesh gear count and speed transmission gear teeth count and their final outcomes. IMO I would try to set it up so you can run direct most of the time.( if possible with a slower or faster R & P) it is a straight shot through the transmission with little to no parisitic loss. If you run a TA there is all sorts of wild combinations that you can use. When I built mine I thought of going with a 12% reduction TA, 1 over and 2 over in the 1 and 2 slot, stock third (not used) and direct. The plan was not to use the TA for nothing but splitting gears. High side would have been: Direct, one over and two over. Low side would have been: 2 under, 1 under and mathmatically direct. Hope this didnt confuse ya to bad. Good Luck

Re: Gear Selection August 04, 2011 01:07AM
What reduction do the Ih's run in the final drives? Is it the same for a 966,1086,and 1466?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,673, Posts: 229,771, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,944.

Our newest member Jason