Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 02:06AM
There's an interesting topic under debate in NY. Should non-citizens be allowed to vote in local and national elections? Why or why not?

These are people that are in the US legally, have a SS number, have state and federal identification, pay taxes...etc but are not yet citizens.

I will start it off:

Yes-They pay taxes (in many cases more than the national average), contribute to society and of course the basis of voting rights, "No taxation without representation."

No-They are not citizens and therefore have not pledged their allegiance to the US or they don't know about enough about the US (although most US citizens can't pass the citizen test anyway)

Discuss.....

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 02:25AM
I really only have a problem with illegals and those individuals who are in prison.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 06:31AM
Well the only real question you should be asking here is what does the constitution state? Because truly my opinion, and your opinion are worthless unless backed up by something in the constitution

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 06:42AM
"The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

This is how the 26th amendment reads so it seems to me the answer is no because in order to earn the right to vote you must be a CITIZEN. Thanks for the easy question, case closed.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 08:45AM
BrandonA
"The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

This is how the 26th amendment reads so it seems to me the answer is no because in order to earn the right to vote you must be a CITIZEN. Thanks for the easy question, case closed.

Since the US was founded based on being taxed without representation than should those non-citizens be immune from taxes if they can't vote?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2022 08:48AM by TripleAlphaProcess.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 01:20PM
I don't agree with them voting in any local, state, or national elections until they are granted or earn citizenship. I not sure I agree with your premise about representation; Non-citizens still have representation... the elected officials still represent them... but because their aren't citizens they have no say in whom said representation is.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2022 01:21PM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 07:59AM
Then all those that are convicted felons should be able to vote, unlike the way it is in dozens of states where you can't if you're serving time or in some cases, even after you've served time. You should call them up and let them know.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 12:00PM
Go to any other country and see if they will let you vote in their elections, if they even have them, lol! The answer you get is the same our should be. Not a citizen, no voting. Period! Prisoners are paying a debt to society with loss of some rights and privileges, Voting being one. What positive influence could letting prisoners and illegal aliens possibly provide? For the best for the country? Or for certain politicians? Pretty clear answer here.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 12:06PM
The big problem is so many is coming in our values are slowly being changed to there values

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 02, 2022 01:00PM
Yes, they leave their home country then want to turn our country into the one they left, like the Mexicans waving their flags at their gatherings.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 03, 2022 03:29AM
InjPumpEd
Go to any other country and see if they will let you vote in their elections, if they even have them, lol! The answer you get is the same our should be. Not a citizen, no voting. Period! Prisoners are paying a debt to society with loss of some rights and privileges, Voting being one. What positive influence could letting prisoners and illegal aliens possibly provide? For the best for the country? Or for certain politicians? Pretty clear answer here.

There are several countries that allow non-citizens to vote....because those that are there contribute to society.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 03, 2022 04:06AM
Can you give some examples so we can assess how it's working for those countries. Just because they allow it doesn't mean it's been a good thing for them. For example... Jimmy's dad lets him stay up late, why can't I stay up late? Those types of arguments don't really matter much too me without more context. Is Jimmy doing good in school? Is he a pain in the arse in the morning? Does he nap in the afternoon? etc...We need more context on the other countries that allow it.

We have a Constitution that I personally believe is a much better founding document than any other country (sorry people outside the US). I believe the majority of countries would trade places with us in a minute and the Constitution is a huge reason for that. I think this is proven by the fact that more people want to immigrate here more than any other place on earth. We need to honor that document, or legally change/amend it (similar to the post on the Pulling Forum about NTPA rules... honor the rules or change them but don't dismiss them when it's convenient or when it hurts your feelings).

One last comment... those non-citizens who are here (whether legally or illegally) all chose to come here knowing full well that they would not get to vote for their representatives until they were citizens. They knew that and yet they still came here. They made that choice. Now they need to work within the rules to gain the privileges/ responsibilities of citizens.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 07, 2022 09:28AM
Jake Morgan
Can you give some examples so we can assess how it's working for those countries. Just because they allow it doesn't mean it's been a good thing for them. For example... Jimmy's dad lets him stay up late, why can't I stay up late? Those types of arguments don't really matter much too me without more context. Is Jimmy doing good in school? Is he a pain in the arse in the morning? Does he nap in the afternoon? etc...We need more context on the other countries that allow it.

We have a Constitution that I personally believe is a much better founding document than any other country (sorry people outside the US). I believe the majority of countries would trade places with us in a minute and the Constitution is a huge reason for that. I think this is proven by the fact that more people want to immigrate here more than any other place on earth. We need to honor that document, or legally change/amend it (similar to the post on the Pulling Forum about NTPA rules... honor the rules or change them but don't dismiss them when it's convenient or when it hurts your feelings).

One last comment... those non-citizens who are here (whether legally or illegally) all chose to come here knowing full well that they would not get to vote for their representatives until they were citizens. They knew that and yet they still came here. They made that choice. Now they need to work within the rules to gain the privileges/ responsibilities of citizens.

There are over 30 nations that allow this including the majority of European nations. Now people may not like Europe but there's no denying the overall quality of life in Europe is better than the US based on income, healthcare, education, QOL stats....etc. Not the end all be all but it works well for them. I've lived in 7 countries in my life and I love the US but Europe just has a different feel. They have their own set of problems but comparatively speaking they have more people satisfied about their life than in the US.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 03, 2022 07:00AM
I have zero problem with people from other countries that want to come here and make themselves better and also contribute in a positive manner to society. So many come here from crap holes and want to bring the crap hole lifestyle here with them. Well, that country already exists, go back to it if that is what you want. My statement about voting in other countries, lets look at where many of our illegals come from, mexico, now ask their government if you can sneak into their country illegally and vote in their elections. Allowing foreign interference rarely brings positive outcome! The only ones who actually benefit is the crooked politicians! They promise crap they never make good on anyway, they just keep everything for themselves lol!

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 03, 2022 12:39PM
I agree. I have zero problems with immigration either, it's what made us great. I don't care where they come from or what they look like I just want them to come here legally. The ones that are here legally... that's awesome, but until they become citizens they are just visitors. Sure some may be staying long-term but until they take the oath of citizenship they shouldn't get the responsibility/right to vote. My neighbor is Canadian, he's legally been here since college and he's ready for retirement now. His wife is American and he'll most likely breathe his last breath on US soil. He knows that he could renounce his Canadian citizenship and get the right to vote... he choses not to. That's his choice. He knew it when he came here and he made the decision that worked best for his situation knowing the repercussions of his choice.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 03, 2022 12:46PM
Any person that came into this country illegally, meaning they did not proceed with the legal process of immigration procedure, certainly is a non-citizen.
But since they already broke the US law to arrive here, then there is absolutely no reason to allow said people the right to vote in any of our elections.
Does not matter how many taxes they pay and/or contribute via other means to society.
And they should not be allowed financial social entitlements. Why should my hard earned tax $$ go to the illegal freeloaders?

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 03, 2022 02:05PM
Should non citizens be allowed to own a firearm? I work with a guy living here temporarily from overseas that has several.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 04, 2022 03:19AM
Cliff, did that "guy" come here legally? Does he have the U.S. green card? If so, then he is considered a "non-resident alien". If he does, then he is entitled to the same 'rights' as U.S. citizens, except voting privelege.
"Alien = a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living".

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 04, 2022 03:41AM
Is he a fine upstanding citizen, just not a legal citizen? Yes, then yes own away! Is he here hiding from the law of other countries and have a rap sheet a mile long here already, then heck no, should not own firearms. Same as our legal citizens. Criminal record, not allowed to be in possession of firearms. Clean record, own all you want!

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 04, 2022 05:03AM
In a word no, I think a lot of this no-citizen voting stuff comes from the fact that they want vote on stuff that affects their families like school boards and local governments. If thats the assimilate and become a legal citizen.

S'no Farmer

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 04, 2022 04:08AM
What benefit to the country would there be in letting non citizens vote?

As far as I can see....none. I realize there is a difference between a noncitizen and an illegal alien. Two totally different arguments. Plenty of non citizens living here legally. My point is just that there is no benefit to letting them vote. If they wanted to vote they'd become citizens. Why do they need to become citizens in order to vote? Because that's what the constitution says and its just logical.

I don't go on vacation to Cancun in hopes of voting in the next Mexican election

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 07, 2022 09:22AM
BrandonA

As far as I can see....none. I realize there is a difference between a noncitizen and an illegal alien. Two totally different arguments. Plenty of non citizens living here legally. My point is just that there is no benefit to letting them vote. If they wanted to vote they'd become citizens. Why do they need to become citizens in order to vote? Because that's what the constitution says and its just logical.

I don't go on vacation to Cancun in hopes of voting in the next Mexican election

It's a fair question but then someone might ask what's the benefit of the unemployed voting, or those on welfare, or those that dodge taxes, or break the law? I guess a response could be allowing a good upstanding non-citizen to vote is better than what the constitution allows to vote because those that are here legally, are gainfully employed, and pay taxes are much more likely to vote in ways that benefit others that do that (i.e. most of the people on this forum).

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 08, 2022 03:20AM
TripleAlphaProcess

It's a fair question but then someone might ask what's the benefit of the unemployed voting, or those on welfare, or those that dodge taxes, or break the law? I guess a response could be allowing a good upstanding non-citizen to vote is better than what the constitution allows to vote because those that are here legally, are gainfully employed, and pay taxes are much more likely to vote in ways that benefit others that do that (i.e. most of the people on this forum).

This is an extremely valid point. We have plenty of registered voters in this country already that are on wellfare, dodge taxes, break the law etc... but I believe you are correct many of these noncitizens are probably in better standing with our country than many people who are legally allowed to vote.This does bring a valid question.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 05, 2022 10:50AM
TripleAlphaProcess
There's an interesting topic under debate in NY. Should non-citizens be allowed to vote in local and national elections? Why or why not?

These are people that are in the US legally, have a SS number, have state and federal identification, pay taxes...etc but are not yet citizens.

I will start it off:

Yes-They pay taxes (in many cases more than the national average), contribute to society and of course the basis of voting rights, "No taxation without representation."

No-They are not citizens and therefore have not pledged their allegiance to the US or they don't know about enough about the US (although most US citizens can't pass the citizen test anyway)

Discuss.....

My vote would be Non US Citizens cannot vote.
Become a US Citizen, then you can vote.
We don't need non citizens changing our country.
There is too big of a global effort outside of the USA to make it weaker (very likely paying off US politicians to get this done)

Does Canada allow non citizens to vote?
Does Mexico allow non citizens to vote?
Does Venezuela allow non citizens to vote?
What voting system does Canada use? Paper or Electronic
What voting system does Mexico use? Paper or Electronic
What voting system does Venezuela use? Paper or Electronic

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 08, 2022 03:29AM
I agree with the statement you made Kevin. In general I see no justifiable reason to let noncitizens vote. I think we have a large enough problem in this country of people coming in from other countries and trying to force their countries beliefs, and ways of life upon us. We don't need outsiders voting here too. Although I do agree with several people in this thread who have made comments about noncitizens who have lived here for a long time and have no plans to leave, while also contributing in a positive manner to our country. But I still like the blanket statement that only citizens should vote.

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 10, 2022 05:18AM
Certain rights are an incentive to citizenship, i.e. voting being the main right afforded to citizens and it’s an encouragement/incentive for non-citizens to gain citizenship. If you allow all those rights to be transferred to non-citizens what would be the incentive to become a citizen?

Allowing non-citizens the right to vote deincentivises citizenship… how is that a good thing?

My next question is a simple one; where will it stop? Once you open this door it’s only a matter of time until illegal immigrants will enter the discussion about getting the right to vote… after all some of them have been here illegally for decades. They work here, they shop here, they worship here, etc… and you could make similar arguments that they contribute to American society. So why not them? Then the next issue is why not allow non-citizens to vote in State elections? Then it will become why not amend the Constitution to allow them to vote in National elections. Where does it end? We have a problem with moving the goal posts and this will be no different, the goal posts will move quickly.

Also, citizenship is also a public acknowledgment that you are putting the priorities of this country first. The USA doesn’t officially allow dual citizenship (some other countries allow you to become a citizen without renouncing your American citizenship but that’s not true if entering the USA). The USA only wants citizens who will pledge their allegiance to this country. It’s a public confession that you will put America first. (for Christians out there, it’s like baptism, a public confession that you belong to Christ). It may only be a small public acknowledgment to some, but it seems like a really, really, really big deal to the men and women who go through the naturalization process. The them the step of citizenship matters and to them they have earned the right to vote.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 10, 2022 05:34AM
I have one quick question. If the democrats thought the illegals were voting for republicans, do you actually think they would still push hard to allow them to vote for the republicans? Absolutely not! They like the fact that they generally vote democrat. The democrats know many legal citizens are sick of their crooked dealings constantly going on, that they have to look at outsiders for votes. Some will argue, but you'll never convince me this isn't true!

Re: Should Non-Citizens be Allowed to Vote? February 10, 2022 06:42AM
Jake Morgan
Certain rights are an incentive to citizenship, i.e. voting being the main right afforded to citizens and it’s an encouragement/incentive for non-citizens to gain citizenship. If you allow all those rights to be transferred to non-citizens what would be the incentive to become a citizen?

Allowing non-citizens the right to vote deincentivises citizenship… how is that a good thing?

My next question is a simple one; where will it stop? Once you open this door it’s only a matter of time until illegal immigrants will enter the discussion about getting the right to vote… after all some of them have been here illegally for decades. They work here, they shop here, they worship here, etc… and you could make similar arguments that they contribute to American society. So why not them? Then the next issue is why not allow non-citizens to vote in State elections? Then it will become why not amend the Constitution to allow them to vote in National elections. Where does it end? We have a problem with moving the goal posts and this will be no different, the goal posts will move quickly.

Also, citizenship is also a public acknowledgment that you are putting the priorities of this country first. The USA doesn’t officially allow dual citizenship (some other countries allow you to become a citizen without renouncing your American citizenship but that’s not true if entering the USA). The USA only wants citizens who will pledge their allegiance to this country. It’s a public confession that you will put America first. (for Christians out there, it’s like baptism, a public confession that you belong to Christ). It may only be a small public acknowledgment to some, but it seems like a really, really, really big deal to the men and women who go through the naturalization process. The them the step of citizenship matters and to them they have earned the right to vote.

Jake this is EXACTLY what I was referencing in my post about how we have to many people immigrating from other countries becoming citizens legally and then asking us Americans to change our country to reflect the values or ways of life of the country they just left. I'm all for immigration and people coming in, that's how our country was started. But do not ask me to change my ways to accommodate you and your beliefs.

And again I'm with you, there is no constitutional backing to allowing noncitizens to vote, and it's also a slippery slope that will lead to allowing illegal immigrants to vote.

Re: Should a US Citizen be Allowed to Vote? February 12, 2022 11:38AM
Switch this thread's topic 180 degrees.
A US citizen legally moves to another country, to live and work there for at least a few years or perhaps, most / all of the work career. But did not acquire that country's citizendship.
So should that person still be allowed to vote in US elections? I am not referring to US military or diplomats.

Re: Should a US Citizen be Allowed to Vote? February 15, 2022 02:01AM
legal
Switch this thread's topic 180 degrees.
A US citizen legally moves to another country, to live and work there for at least a few years or perhaps, most / all of the work career. But did not acquire that country's citizendship.
So should that person still be allowed to vote in US elections? I am not referring to US military or diplomats.

In a perfect world no. In the corrupt country and world we do live in its guaranteed to be allowed

Re: Should a US Citizen be Allowed to Vote? February 15, 2022 02:43AM
Yes, it is allowed. Meaning that US non-resident living and working in another country is still allowed to vote in US elections, pending said person has not renounced US citizenship. However, if a citizen of another country comes here to US legally to live & work, its native country does not allow that person to vote in its elections.

So the question becomes, why does the US allow its non-resident to continue to vote in US elections? Probably has to do with the fact the US non-resident is subject to a US high income tax rate. Yes, all foreign income is US taxable and at an abnormal high rate. And if that US non-resident is involved in financial management of a foreign company as an employee, the US IRS rides herd on that person, thinking that person is cheating the US out of their fair share of income. The IRS sure knows how to make it miserable!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,804, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 279, Posts: 2,500.

Our newest member CBeard