Revised USDA report January 15, 2024 04:40AM
Corn yelds in our area were approximately 80-90% of normal on irrigated, and 60-70% of normal on dryland in 2023. I’m curious if those of you from other states were much above normal, or how can our USDA throw this bombshell increase in yield and acres at us in January.

Re: Revised USDA report January 15, 2024 11:17AM
They’ll still be revising it 2 years from now. It will change again.

Re: Revised USDA report January 15, 2024 01:42PM
We are required to certify all planted acres before July 1. Of the year they were planted, not two years later. Those certified numbers go into a computerized database. How is it that they can change? Another question is, what motive does the USDA have for Releasing bogus numbers?

Re: Revised USDA report January 16, 2024 10:13AM
The yields are often adjusted down the road, as are useage numbers. Didn’t say they were releasing bogus numbers, just that they often get revised.
And no big deal, but acreage reporting date is July 15.

Re: Revised USDA report January 17, 2024 12:36AM
Big Red Binder
Corn yelds in our area were approximately 80-90% of normal on irrigated, and 60-70% of normal on dryland in 2023. I’m curious if those of you from other states were much above normal, or how can our USDA throw this bombshell increase in yield and acres at us in January.

I don't understand how the USDA reports work but I can tell you that in Northwest Ohio the corn yields for harvest 2023 were between 220-260 an acre for most folks. For context this area generally averages around 160-180. I'm not making these numbers up I'm an accountant at The Andersons grain company.

Re: Revised USDA report January 17, 2024 11:49AM
Backyarditis gets all of us.

I had corn yield from 13-287 this year. In the same pass through the field. Lowest and highest yield in the same pass. Overall average about 20% under APH.

Re: Revised USDA report January 17, 2024 12:40PM
Wow Brandon! That is about 40% over normal, almost a crop and a half. That would explain a lot of the excess if it is a very big area. We had our second year in a row of an ugly drought.

Re: Revised USDA report January 25, 2024 01:34AM
Big Red Binder
Wow Brandon! That is about 40% over normal, almost a crop and a half. That would explain a lot of the excess if it is a very big area. We had our second year in a row of an ugly drought.

You're exactly right. The corn crop in Northwest Ohio was absolutely huge. The tough part is that due to grain prices being down, costs being up even with yields 40% above normal guys didn't make a whole lot of money this year. In fact I've heard from several local farmers that if yields would have been normal this year they would have lost their a$$.

Re: Revised USDA report February 17, 2024 10:24AM
I would agree with Big Red Binder, it seems hard to believe this size of crop when there are areas, mine also in my part of SE Nebraska were in general 40-50% of normal on drylands, irrigated from 70-100% of norm, but BrandonA and a ton of other areas with a great crop. Hard to have a smile with the most expensive crop produced and no yield and low prices, called a train wreck. Just like always try again and the good and bad with always be somewhere. Darin

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,630, Posts: 229,694, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 279, Posts: 2,500.

Our newest member JD_8520