Using Verse Abusing (originally posted January 21, 2004)

Published January 26, 2009 01:41AM, by Jake MorganViewed: 1990 times

(originally posted January 21, 2004)

USING VERSES ABUSING

A Boring but Necessary Lecture on Internet Etiquette

We make every effort to remove negative posts that are put up anonymously as soon as we notice them.  Unfortunately we don’t have the ability to monitor the page 24 hrs. a day but with my fathers help we try and keep the trash to a minimum.  There are always a few posts that stay up an hour, a day, or even sometimes a weekend longer than we would like, regrettably that’s inevitable.  It’s unfortunate but there will always be people with negative feelings and jealousy that will try and take an advantage of any situation.  There are even some people who put the same negative message up hour after hour, and we will continue to delete it hour after hour.

I’m not saying that people don’t have a right to free speech, but negative free speech comes with a price, and the price for negativity on this page is the loss of anonymity.

Anonymous/wondering/joe/puller or any other name is fine if you want to post general information, news, praise, and/or accolades for a puller or builder.  But it’s not OK for negative feelings, experiences, and derisive comments.

Let me give a hypothetical example for those few last trouble makers still struggling with this:

If “puller” with no email address posts:  “Greg Boyd probably wouldn’t know a wrench if it hit him on the head” (sorry Greg just using you for an example).  I would delete this post.

If  “Trent Boyd” with a valid email trentb@bitenbinder.com (for example) posts: “Greg Boyd probably wouldn’t know a wrench if it hit him on the head” (sorry Trent and Greg, just using you for an example) I would leave this post because Trent who is no longer anonymous has a right to his opinion.  Greg can then decide if he wants to deal with the situation or ignore it.

The same can be said for a builder supplier.  If you have a desire to tell the world what a terrible experience you had at REI (for example) you should be specific as to what the problem was.  If you tried dealing with them through the proper channels you shouldn’t have any problem leaving your name and email address on your post.

The same goes for an organization or individual within an organization, if you feel the overwhelming urge to say Mike Chastain is a lair (for example) let the world know exactly what he lied to you about.  Post your name and the lie and give Mike a chance to defend himself.  If you going on hearsay and what some guy who talked to a guy that talked to Mike told you then don’t bother posting it.

If you put your name on it will I always leave it posted?  What would be considered over the line you may ask?  It’s a judgment call made by myself and/or my father.  I want this page to be family friendly and I don’t want to take away anyone’s freedom.  As always, lible or slanderous remarks will not be tolerated even if you have a valid email address.  Keep those guideline in mind and we should be OK.

I know 99% of you already use your good judgment and aren’t a problem, but I just wanted to let the problem 1% know that I will not tolerate it and I am going to buckle down and watch the page even closer than in the past.

I want pullers and promoters to be able to post on the page under their own names without the risk of being verbally beat up by some faceless nameless entity.  It may be an unrealistic goal but I’d like a page that allows pullers, fans, and promoters to interact with each other.  I don’t expect, or even want everyone to agree all the time, but I do want an open forum for discussion.  There are a tons of ideas and concerns in pulling that need to get discussed and this unaffiliated, unbiased forum is one of the places to do that.  Sometimes it may not solve anything, and we may just agree to disagree but that alright to.

One final note, if I delete a message you posted, drop me an email and I will be more than happy to discuss it.  I’m actually pretty flexible and understanding even if I do come across as a stubborn know it all sometimes.

Sorry about the long winded lecture.  I’d rather not give it but some people need a continuous reminder.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Comments

Post A Comment

Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,719, Posts: 229,837, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 59, Posts: 59.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro