A Road Map For Pulling (originally posted September 24, 2004)

Published February 07, 2009 07:07AM, by Jake MorganViewed: 3294 times

(originally posted September 24, 2004)

A ROAD MAP FOR PULLING
Forwards or Backwards: How Do We Know?

(September 24, 2004) - With the NTPA’s recent rule change in the Modified class, there are a number of people who believe that the class has taken a step backward.  At the same time there are many that believe that the class has taken a step forward.  So in what direction are we going and how do we know?  Do we need a road map to help us make rule changes and to know what direction we are going?

What road map do we need to follow?  Money?  Horsepower?  Technology? Competition?  What factor lets us know that the decisions the leaders make are correct?  Let’s take a look at some of the big factors the influence rule changes:

Money – In my opinion, cost is the poorest road map the sport can follow. Some people have money, some people have large sums of money, and some people run on a shoestring budget.  The diverse economic background of the competitors makes pulling a very interesting sport.  There will always be people that spend within their means and those that exceed their means. It will always be the classic battle of the have vs. have-nots.

Don’t get me wrong—I’m not saying that money shouldn’t be a consideration.  It is a very important factor and money should always be taken into account when implementing a rule change.  It should always be looked at from the pullers perspective: what will it cost short term and what will it cost long term.  This sport receives little outside sponsorship money/support and for pulling to remain economically viable; all attempts should be made to keep costs to a minimum when changing a rule.

Many of those attempts to keep cost down invariably fail because:

• People with money usually figure out a way around the rules: The Super Farm limit of 3”x3” turbos was designed to keep cost low, are the 3”x3” turbos getting any cheaper?
  • Poor rules and leadership make “beginner” classes that inevitably get more expensive when:
    • They become national “beginner” classes: how can an entry level class be cost effective when you have to drive all around the country to follow a national circuit for minimal winnings?
    • Have high limits that introduce additional costs: cubic inches, too many engines...
I think every attempt to keep ticket prices reasonable and the cost to compete reasonable but there are always people who will spend what it take to be on top.  For these reasons when making rule changes I think money is a very poor road map to follow to see if we are going forwards or backwards with the current rules and the sports as a whole.

Horsepower – There are many people who think that this is the one and only road map to follow when writing rules.  People believe that if the power increases, the sport is moving forward and, conversely, if the power is decreased or limited, then the sport has taken a giant step backwards.

If you subscribe to this theory then you must be against any limits.  If horsepower is the true road map to follow than it could be suggested nitro-methane should be allowed because it makes substantially more power.  It could also be suggested that all the cubic inch limits should be removed to move the sport forward.  Wouldn’t a 1,200 CID nitro powered Pro Stock make more power and move the sport forward?  Would removing all limits except safety-related ones move the sport forward? It would definitely increase horsepower but would the sport be going forward?

The converse can also be said: if power is limited too much, then the sport no longer has the action and excitement to draw fans and sponsors.  I have nothing against “stock” tractor pulling (I know that true “stock” pulling rarely exists anymore; just about everyone has made modifications in some respect) but “stock” pulling is nowhere near as exciting as the state, regional, and national circuits.  Yes there are entertaining “stock” pulls but it is no comparison to the high-speed, wheel-standing action that the organized sanctioned circuits provide.

I think it quickly becomes apparent that horsepower is not the road map to follow.  More is not always better.  Too much power and too-high limits will kill classes by making the sport so exclusive and so expensive that it is prohibitive for all but the wealthiest to compete in.  I’m pretty sure we all can agree that killing a class is not moving the sport forward.  Horsepower is great but it is not our road map.

Technology – Man has often been scared of new technology, and often been slow to embrace technology in society.  From the use of muzzleloaders in the Civil War when repeating firearms were readily available but still too “new,” to… fear of microwave ovens to… fuel injection to… electronics to…  the list is almost endless.  At one point many in the world believed that your heart would stop if your automobile exceeded 60 mph (your average resting pulse rate) simply because they were scared of the technology that automobiles brought.  Pulling, more than anything, is slow to embrace new technology.  There are “stock” motors with amazing and advanced technology and yet our “performance” motors are surprisingly basic and mechanical.

Technology would not necessarily be a bad road map for pulling to use when making rule changes but until pulling embraces some of the technology it won’t be a very accurate map.

Computers are only allowed to “watch” the vehicles many functions, computers are not allowed to “interact” with the vehicles in any way.  Computers aren’t allowed to do anything more than turn on a warning light.  When it comes to controlling timing, fuel flow, boost, injection… computers are shunned.  In some instances the computer control is not detectable and pullers are put on the honor system.  The honor system with no ability to police the activity will gradually cause this issue to come to a boil and pulling (as well as other motorsports) will eventually be forced to embrace technology. It will happen at some point but it will be very gradual, well behind the pace of stock truck/tractor development.  Technology that was once thought to be an advantage to a few will be commonplace among all pullers.  The technology will likely save on breakage as the systems are refined.

For those who fear the loss of the human element and the loss of tuning and driving skills, those people just fear the unknown, the driver and the tuner will still be just as important and the tuner will just have some new tools to refine and tune the vehicle.

Again, don’t misinterpret what I’m saying—technology is not all good and not all bad.  New advances have a detrimental effect on the cost of the sport and they will increase the obsolescence intervals with new better advances coming out almost daily.  I’m simply stating that technology is a very poor road map to follow since pulling currently shuns most advanced technology.

Competition – If pulling is anything it’s a competition.  Is competition the road map that rule makers need to go by?

Pullers compete in different classes with various makes and models.  Those various makes and models have a very loyal fan base.  Rural Americans, farmers, and truckers are very brand loyal.  People continuously argue over whether Ford, Chevy, or Dodge makes the best truck.  This loyalty can be seen on the track as well as in the stands.

If one make or model dominates in any way it makes for very poor competition and a very poor show for a majority of fans.  Their competitive nature is why pullers compete and the thrill of competition is why fans pay money.  Without close and fair competition, pulling will not grow and move forward.  Fans quickly become bored when one particular combination is dominant (unless you are a diehard fan of that particular combination—which is a much smaller fan base).  Pulling needs close competition and rules that favor close competition among various combinations to attract a wider fan base.

Increasing and leveling the competition is the only true road map that the sport can follow when writing rules.  If fans go to an event and they are on the edge of their seat until the last truck or tractor has pulled in their respective class then pulling has done its job of providing entertainment value.  If we the fans don’t know what color, powerplant, or brand will win a given event we may just go to find out.  Who knows we may keep going week after week to find out who will win.  People sure do in America's most popular motorsport, (I’m comparing the reasoning for NASCAR’s rule changes and NO other aspect of the sport).  Who will win Ford, Chevy or Dodge, it's usually different from week to week and that is what the rules are designed for and that is why so many fans keep coming.  NASCAR has developed a very, very simple and basic formula, Competition first and foremost.  It's no wonder why they have been so successful!

In reality all these factors are very important when making new rules and regulations for pullers to follow but above all rules that favor competition are the ones that will propel this motorsport forward.  Cost, horsepower, and technology will continue to be ever-present and will always be topics for debate, but when it comes to writing rules and rewriting rules, if the number one component of competition is addressed, the rest will fall into place.

I pay at an event to see who is going to win. If I know the outcome ahead of time, I’ll stay home and mow my lawn, work on my house, and/or work in my shop.  It’s the rivalry and wonder of the unknown that keeps me coming.

The new Modified rules just made the class interesting again.  I look for the Allison Mods and the Chevy Mods to be back in the thick of the mix against the Hemis.  Who knows, maybe the Turbine Mods will be the ones to watch.  The only thing I know for sure is I don’t have any idea who or what is going to win, and that hasn’t happened for about four years.  It’s actually refreshing to not have a clue who will wind up on top.  I’m already looking forward to reading all the hype this winter about who is building what and who will be back out after some time off.

I can’t wait for next summer to begin with all the great competition in the Mod class; it should be a great year on the NTPA circuit.  Now if only the ATPA can get on board with what they have left of their Mod class, the sport could move even further forward.  I just hope the ATPA does not turn this into a power struggle to gain favor with the 4-hemi pullers.

I do feel sorry for the pullers that get caught in the middle of a rule change such as this.  As always someone will take my opinion and the NTPA’s decision personal, but let me assure you some of the nicest people in this sport are negatively impacted by this rule and that is truly regrettable and unfortunate. It is extremely difficult to tell someone they need to change for the good of the class.  However for this sport to survive the good of the individual must always take a backseat to what is good for the sport as a whole.  If we all follow the road map of close and fair competition we will be headed in the right direction.

My theory has always been reasonable limits=more variety.  The past few seasons the variety in the Mods was who painted the fenders of their hemi powered tractor a different color, next summer is already shaping up to which Wedges are going to be shooting it out with which Allisons, Hemis, and Turbines it’s anyone class to win.  I guess we will see next summer in the Mods.  I applaud the NTPA for their attempt to make the competition closer, sure there are some grey areas to work out but it’s a great start.  If you still think the NTPA is moving backward, you need to take a second look at what you are using for a road map!

As always, this is my opinion.  Feel free to agree or disagree with anything I’ve written.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Comments

Post A Comment

Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,701, Posts: 229,801, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 59, Posts: 59.

Our newest member CBeard