Fair and Reasonable Prostock Rules (originally posted October 16, 2002)

Published October 28, 2008 05:34AM, by Jake MorganViewed: 2278 times

(originally posted October 16, 2002)

The Prostock class does have its minor share of problems. It’s pretty much a Red vs. Green class. There are a few true Case and a few Massey, one Minnie Mo and One White but that’s not a ton of variety. The only reason for the lack of variety is the cubic inch limit. I’m not quite sure where the NTPA came up with 680, but it definitely seems like an extremely larger number that was just pulled out of a hat.

Proposed rules:

1. ENGINE
    1. Engine size to be no larger than 540 CID
    2. OEM block that will operate with the stock crankshaft for that make. Factory recommended replacements are also acceptable (no crossing brand lines)
    3. OEM block must be offered in a rigid frame 2wd tractor only
    4. OEM block cannot be altered in any way externally, except for normal repair or for mounting fuel injection pumps
    5. Internal webbing and water jacket to remain intact with provisions to re-bore motor block
  2. TURBO
    1. One turbo-charger is allowed: one (1) pressure stage or one (1) air compressing device
  3. FUEL SYSTEMS
    1. Only acceptable fuel is diesel
    2. No oxygen carriers or combustion accelerators
    3. No nitrous oxide, nitro methane or propylene oxide
  4. WATER INJECTION
    1. No combustible agents or oxygen carriers allowed in water injection
  5. TIRES
    1. 24.5 x 32 maximum size tires
  6. WEIGHT
    1. Class shall be run at 10,000 lbs.
  7. CHASSIS
    1. Stock transmission housing or O.E.M. replacement.
    2. Frame must remain stock from rear of the engine block to rear of tractor on all Pro Stock tractors.
    3. Clutch housing, transmission case, rear end housing and axle housing must be O.E.M. No aluminum replacements.
    4. One piece main cap bearings allowed, one piece main cap, not considered a girdle.
    5. Tractors must have hood and grill in place as intended by manufacturers.
    6. Wheelbase: maximum 114”
    7. Maximum length 13 feet from center of rear axle to forward most part.
  8. ROLL CAGES
    1. All Tractors must have 47.1 SFI Spec. roll over protection.
  9. PROTESTS
    1. Organizations reserve the right to spot check for infractions at any time. Refusal to do so will result in disqualification and barring from all events until the vehicle is checked out.
    2. In the event of a protest by a competitor:
      1. The protester will be allowed to select an independent representative from another class to witness the protest procedures in addition to the officials and the protested party.

Reasoning for the rules:
Before you email me and ask how I could justify lowering the Superfarm and Prostock limits, the simple answer is that it's dominated by 2 brands.
  1. Marketplace: If the Superfarm and Prostock limits were lowered, it would maintain a marketplace for builders and suppliers and allow for class jumping.
  2. Money: If both classes were decubed it would give other brands a chance to be competitive and open the door for sponsorship from ag manufacuters…
This class is basically an unlimited single charger diesel fuel class. Big money has already been spent but the clock needs to be turned back to make huge changes, with that being said: any head, any charger, any pump, any manifolds … are acceptable.

Diesel fuel only, no grandfathering of LPG, Gas, Distillate or any other fuel. A few tractors have already been Grandfathered in and it should be mandated they either switch to diesel or swith classes and move up to Superstock. I'm opposed to grandfathering because if one guy is allowed to run a gas tractor then anyone should be able to as long as it came from the factory that way, and that would take this class down a road that it should not go down.

I’ve heard talk of going to component chassis in this class and I’m somewhat against it. At 10,000 lbs. There is plenty of movable weight to use a heavy cast rearend. I would like to see this class should remain the top-level pure tractor class and that means using stock rearend and transmission housings, but I'm not against a component chassis if the tractors still appear stock. I’m not naive and I understand that the housings have been stripped of all their stock internal and are just shells that surround aftermarket axles and transmissions but the class should remain stock appearing no matter what rearend is used.

The ATPA is slowly getting on the same page as the NTPA with SFI roll cages but it has cost numerous pullers a fair amount of money to build 2 cages the past few years.

Notes:
The lack of differentiation between State, Regional, and National rules is one of the main reasons that this class has grown into the extremely popular and extremely close class that it is. Local pullers can sneak in and win a national event because they are all on a level playing field.

Another reason this class is one of the most exciting classes is that anyone can win any night. There are about 20 John Deere that are within a few inches of each other every week. This past summer the IH pullers have stepped up their games and given the Red loyalist something to cheer for again with red tractors taking numerous wins and a national title.

The last reason I like this class so much is Professionalism. A larger majority (99%) of the vehicles are the cleanest and classiest in all of pulling. The tractors are just as much a showpiece as a pulling vehicle. The drivers rarely, if ever, bicker or fight and are the first to lend a hand to a fellow competitor. This class is a game of inches and instead of accusing someone of cheating the pullers do their homework and step up their own programs instead of pointing the finger at someone else.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Comments

Post A Comment

Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,628, Posts: 229,690, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 59, Posts: 59.

Our newest member JD_8520