Fair and Reasonable 2wd Truck Rules (originally posted on November 3, 2002)

Published October 28, 2008 05:38AM, by Jake MorganViewed: 2654 times

(originally posted on November 3, 2002)

Most of these rules are already in place in one organization or another, and some of these rules, one in particular is going to make some people irate. That one idea that has created controversy is: the body style rule. Back when the ATPA first initiated this rule I was against the rule as well as being against how the ATPA initiated the rule. Since those days my mind has changed and my eyes have been opened. But before I get into that read the rules, and then read my explanation.

Proposed rules:

1. ENGINES
    1. All Super Modified 2WD trucks shall have one eight-cylinder engine
    2. Engine must be an automotive type, accept stock crankshaft
    3. Maximum two (2) valves per cylinder
    4. Maximum of 575 cubic inch limit is allowed
    5. Maximum bore spacing of 5.00" is allowed
    6. Maximum of two (2) spark plugs per cylinder
    7. Maximum blower limit will be 14-71 hi-helix
    8. Maximum turbocharger limit is two (2) turbos single (1) pressure stage
    9. No screw type superchargers allowed
    10. Vehicle may run without radiator and engine moved forward
    11. Engine must remain behind grill.
    12. All engines with burst panels must face away from the driver
    13. No PlexiGlas firewalls permitted
      1. 1/4" Lexan firewall will be permitted
      2. 0.060" aluminum firewall will be permitted
      3. 3/16" steel firewall will be permitted
  2. BODY
    1. Only mass produced factory and production full bodied pick-ups manufactured after 1940
    2. Fiberglass bodies are accepted
    3. Flip-up bodies must have an escape hatch in roof or back
    4. Must have grill and fenders in place as intended by the manufacturer
    5. Truck must have presentable bed or flat
    6. A bed shall be covered and be a minimum of 5' in length and a maximum of 10'
    7. Bed modifications are allowed for centering purposes
    8. Doors they must be on and closed
    9. Must have clear or factory tinted windows. Clear plexi-glass is accepted
    10. Body cowlings are to be no farther than 4" from back of engine block. Hood line metal or fiberglass shall be in place.
  3. CHASSIS
    1. Maximum width of vehicle is 96"
    2. Maximum wheelbase of 165"
    3. Maximum length to be 15' from center or rear axles to furthest most forward point
    4. An exception of a 10" overall allowance for cosmetic fiberglass only
    5. This rule will be placed in effect to keep factory appearance possible
    6. No steel, lead or any other metal allowed past 15 feet
    7. Weights cannot extend more than 12" from hitching point
    8. Non-planetary rear ends must run axle covers
    9. No fuel tanks, fuel pumps, pressure gauges or fuel lines are permitted in driver's compartment
    10. All hydraulic lines within the cab must be shielded by metal .060" or thicker
    11. Vehicles must have vertical bumpers
    12. Bumper to extend minimum of 8' vertically
    13. Bottom of bumper to be a maximum of 24" from the ground
    14. Bumpers must be rigid in all directions.
  4. TIRES
    1. Rear
      1. Tire size maximum is 18.4x16.1
      2. Maximum circumference is 143" at 28 PSI on an 18" rim.
      3. Maximum tread width is 20".
    2. Front
      1. A minimum of 14" diameter front rims shall be used.
      2. Front wheels must be centered in wheel well.
      3. Front tires must remain entirely visible within the wheel wells.
  5. WEIGHT
    1. 6200 pounds.
Reasoning for the rules:

A cubic inch limit of 575 throughout all states and national organizations would be one of the simplest steps to insure that all vehicles are legal at all events.

Now for the big rule change, body style. The Grand American circuit has done the right thing, and it’s time for the rest of the states, and the NTPA to get on the same page. Before I get into why all trucks should be full bodied I like to take this time to dispel some myths that I’ve heard for numerous years regarding the ATPA’s decision to mandate full bodies on the Grand American circuit.
  • Myth 1: The ATPA changed the rules so Rich Santeford would win. This is one of the craziest rumors I’ve heard. This myth is continually suggested at some national events and it’s simply not true. It is true that Rich was a major sponsor of the ATPA and that Rich pulled a full bodied Twd Truck, but that’s it.
  • Myth 2: The C-cab/bucket/open bodied trucks have a weight advantage. I’ve seen bucket trucks with steel bodies and fiberglass bodies that are heavier than their one-piece fiberglass full-bodied counterparts. Sure there are extremely lightweight fiberglass bucket trucks but the advantage over the fiberglass full-bodied trucks is negligible.
  • Myth 3: Bucket trucks have a wheelbase advantage. I’ve seen either body style of truck with long wheelbases as well as short wheelbases win on the national level.
  • Myth 4: The ATPA made the rules to ban someone or to lure any specific pullers into their organization. Again both of these are unfounded rumors.
  • Myth 5: Bucket trucks are safer. This one is not entirely a myth, but it’s not completely true either.
    • Full-bodied trucks can get foggy windows, bucket trucks obviously don’t, however there are tons of antifogging sprays which work great. A light film of shampoo works well also.
    • If there’s a fire in a bucket truck you can just jump out. The same is true for a full-bodied truck, but you’re limited on you’re jumping options, either door or escape hatch. It’s probably a little trickier unless you have ever practiced.
The reality is that the ATPA changed the rules for one simple reason: marketing. It’s more difficult for an organization to market a class of bucket truck to potential sponsors compared to a class of full-bodied trucks. The reasoning for that is simple, bucket trucks don’t look like pickups for new/potential fans or sponsors who don’t really follow the sport.

Now before everyone jumps all over me for my opinion let me state a few facts and relay a few stories. I’ve been a pulling fan for over two decades and I witnessed the complete evolution of the Twd Truck class so the introduction of the bucket trucks makes sense to me. If fact some of the nicest looking trucks in the class are bucket trucks, the Buckeye Hauler is as sleek and classy looking vehicle as there is. Never Say Never Again, Ol Blue, Midnight Mistress, and Wild One to name a few are all great looking vehicles, unfortunately to new fans they my not look like trucks, at least not any trucks they see on the roads now.

To give you a quick example: Empire State Pullers Event, Summer 2002, Alexander, NY. I attended the pull with a friend from college and high school, Yale. Yale’s the type of fan that pulling sponsors love. He’s a motorsports fan, an impulse buyer, and he’s in a key demographic “Male 18-44.” He’s been to a few pulls before but he’s not a regular fan. When we watched the Superfarm class, I gave a quick description and he completely understood the class (luckily there was no Prostock class at the pull to confuse the issue). The next class up was the Twds, the first truck in the class was the beautiful Never Say Never Again bucket truck (those of you who have seen this truck know that it is a work of art). Yale turned to me and asked “is this the Mod class.” I explained to him this was the Twd truck class, he turned to me with a confused look on his face and said, “That doesn’t look anything like a truck.” He pointed to Destination 300; a beautiful F150 bodied truck, and said, “that looks like a truck”. He then pointed to an Econo-Mod and said, “that looks as much like a truck as the first one did.” After explaining the evolution of the class he understood but didn’t think they should be legal. Later that night on my drive home I realized that Yale’s observation was why the ATPA had more foresight than anyone gave them credit for.

The situation with Yale really isn’t all that different than the story that was relayed to me by ATPA Vice President Mike Chastain. Mike was showing a pulling tape to a potential sponsor and they couldn’t identify or relate to the bucket trucks. If new sponsors can’t relate to bucket trucks, how are new fans going to be able to relate to bucket trucks.

Notes:
If pulling is to grow they have to pick up new fans and sponsors in all the classes. This is especially true for the Twd Truck class; this class has the potential to appeal to an extremely broad range of people, and not just those in the rural or agricultural communities.

The ATPA was ahead of everybody on this one and it time for them to stop making exceptions on the Regional and State levels. The NTPA and Outlaws need to get on board. Shouldn’t a truck class look like trucks?

As always, this is my Opinion page and these are only my personal opinions. I’d be more than happy to entertain any logical, adult discussion on anything I’ve written. Direct any comments, suggestions or questions to the Feedback page.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Comments

Post A Comment

Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 59, Posts: 59.

Our newest member JD_8520