Fair and Reasonable Superstock Rules (originally posted on November 19, 2002)

Published October 28, 2008 05:42AM, by Jake MorganViewed: 2661 times

(originally posted on November 19, 2002)

Ten years ago a Superstock was a Superstock and pullers could go everywhere they wanted, fans could also hope for a “surprise” national puller showing up at their local events. Now the class is a fiasco. Pullers have lost the ability to test and tune, support their local events, or promote the national circuit. Fans have lost the “surprise” factor on their local circuits. Many of the current Superstock haven’t evolved in over 2 decades, it’s time for some major changes.

Proposed rules:

1. ENGINE
    1. Alcohol Engine size to be no larger than 504 CID
    2. Diesel Engine Size to be no larger than 540 CID
    3. OEM block that will operate with the stock crankshaft for that make. Factory recommended replacements are also acceptable (no crossing brand lines)
    4. OEM block must be offered in a rigid frame 2wd tractor only
    5. OEM block cannot be altered in any way externally, except for normal repair or for mounting fuel injection pumps
    6. Engine Placement
      1. No farther forward than 60" from the center line of the rear axle to the rear of the engine block.
      2. Crankshaft can be no lower than 4" of the center of the rear axle
    7. Maximum 4 valves per cylinder
    8. No overhead cams on V-8 engines
  2. TURBOS
    1. Alcohol tractors are allow three (3) turbo-chargers maximum: two (2) pressure stages
    2. Diesel tractors are allow four (4) turbo-chargers maximum: three (3) pressure stages
  3. FUEL SYSTEMS
    1. Only Acceptable fuels are methanol, diesel, LP, and Gasoline
    2. No oxygen carriers or combustion accelerators
    3. No nitrous oxide, nitro methane or propylene oxide
  4. WATER INJECTION
    1. No combustible agents or oxygen carriers allowed in water injection
  5. TIRES
    1. 30.5 x 32 maximum size tires
  6. WEIGHT
    1. Alcohol tractors shall run at 7,500 lbs*.
    2. Diesel tractors shall run at 8,500 lbs*.
    3. (*) Weights will be adjusted by the national organizations throughout the season.
      1. Weight shall be adjusted until either fuel wins 50 (±10%) of the hooks.
      2. Weight differential between fuel types shall not exceed 1000 lbs.
      3. Weight will be adjusted simultaneously, and equally.

4. i.e. if a diesel tractor dominants: the methanol tractors shall weigh 7,600 lbs., and the diesel tractors shall weigh 8,400 lbs.
  7. DRAWBAR
    1. Alcohol tractor shall run a 20” drawbar**.
    2. Diesel tractors shall run a 20” drawbar**.
    3. (**) Drawbar will be adjusted by the national organizations throughout the season ONLY after the 1,000 lbs. weight differential has been reached.
      1. Drawbar shall be adjusted until either fuel wins 50% (±10%) of the hooks.
      2. Drawbar will be adjusted simultaneously, and equally.

3. i.e. if a methanol powered vehicle dominants and the 1,000 lbs. weights differential has been reached: the diesel tractors shall weigh 8500 lbs. and have a 21” drawbar, and the methanol tractors shall weigh 7,500 lbs with a 19” drawbar.
  8. CHASSIS
    1. Component tractors are acceptable.
    2. Any rearend is acceptable
    3. If stock rearend is used, without stock transmission housing or O.E.M. replacement housing chassis must have full-length frame rails.
    4. Aftermarket clutch housing, transmission case, rear end housing and axle housing are acceptable.
    5. One piece main cap bearings allowed, one piece main cap, not considered a girdle.
    6. Tractors must have hood, grill, and fenders in place.
    7. Hood and engine combination must match manufacturer
    8. Wheelbase: maximum 114”
    9. Maximum length 13 feet from center of rear axle to forward most part.
  9. ROLL CAGES
    1. All Tractors must have 47.1 SFI Spec. roll over protection.
Reasoning for the Rules:

Splitting classes isn't an option at state and regional pulls because of the lack of vehicles. It will probably never be an option at numerous organizations. It works fine on the national level but it isn't entirely necessary. Numerous people have stated that it can't work but nobody really knows because no national organization has ever given it a concerted effort and really tried with the best tractors of their respective fuel types. Common sense and basic physics should tell you that both fuel types could pull together as long as some logical concessions are made.

The weight of the vehicles isn’t quite a straight forward as the engine blocks. Earlier this Fall on the Feedback page Richard Rockefeller stated “even playing field needs to be set for the top tractors” (of their respective fuels). At this point in pulling that would be getting Darrell Meese to be able to run consistently close with Stan and Steve Blagrave. In the future those competitors may change however those are currently the top vehicles for their respective fuel types at those limits. I’m not interested in how this would affect a specific state; I’m a firm believer in the trickle down theory. If you get the best of the best for each fuel to be competitive it will trickle down to every region and every state. Currently this means that some concessions must be made to get the diesels to be competitive.

Drawbar is similar to weight, not 100% straight forward but actually quite simple. Drawbar is a last option after the 1,000 lbs. weight differential has been exceeded. I’m not sure it would ever get to the point were the drawbar part of the rules was necessary but it doesn’t hurt to plan for the future.

I’ve also heard some rumble that the component chassis Superstocks aren’t real Superstocks anymore. Sure it no longer has tractor rearend but safety is much more important than a piece of cast iron. Component tractors are evolution; either get on board or get out of the way. With all that being said, there is one rule change in the component chassis department, any rearend: meaning if you choose to run a stock rearend housing you don’t need to run the stock transmission housing. This will save weight and get rid of some more old cast iron. There are 2 tractor that I know of that ran this setup in 2002, The Big Toy and Mining For Dollars. The NTPA has mandated that they either put the transmission housings back in or go complete component. Personally I think this is a mistake on the NTPA’s part, everyone can’t afford to make drastic changes and if they are allowed to make gradual changes, piecemeal style it will ease the transition of all Superstocks to component tractors.

Regarding the sheetmetal; I’m not a fan of an IH block under neither a John Deere hood. I believe they should match, however it gets a little trickier with the recent trends in agricultural motors, with the 505 cummins being offered in a number of different brands. There is a little more leeway, but the motor should still match the hood of any tractor that may have originally been purchased with.

Notes:
One set of clear consistent rules would give all state, regional, and national pullers a chance to build a tractor that could be taken to any event and know it’s legal. The current rule debacle is the reason this class has much smaller numbers than it should for one of pulling’s premiere classes.

The diesel pullers have a decisive advantage; they are legal 95% of the state organizations. A Grand National caliber diesel tractor can legally pull at almost any state event. The alcohol pullers are at a decided disadvantage certain states allow larger engines while other don’t. Every region has it's own set of rule to either include or exclude certain tractors. Mike Laribee made a very poignant statement "If you have a tractor in your area that is the best of the best and you don’t let it run at your show that would be a shame for the people paying to watch your show!"

I try not to endorse or condemn either the ATPA or NTPA as organizations, however I endorse or condemn their ideas, viewpoints, and direction. Some may have seen my 2wd Truck rules as endorsing the ATPA ideas, the opposite may be said for this set of rules. The NTPA has done an admirable job limiting their rule variations, however the ATPA has done nothing but add confusion to the class as well as their rulebook. The ATPA has numerous variations on the Superstock class. One variation is the Heavy Superstock class: 504 CID break for alcohol tractors on the East Coast series as well as in the Empire State pullers and New York Tractor pullers. To add to the confusion the East Coast series has different turbo limits than the rest of the organizations. The rest of the ATPA affiliates that pull the Heavy Superstock allow 650 CID on alcohol. To add even further to the confusion the ATPA has a Diesel Heavy Superstock class that has a different set of rules. The ATPA also has a Light Superstock class, which will be covered in a different set of proposed rules. It gets a little confusing for the fans, promoters, and sponsors: without the money they potentially generate pulling will not be able to achieve any growth. Which is why I’m a firm believer in clear and consistent rules across all organizations and all levels.

Eariler this Fall on the Feedback page Aaron Bobb, and Adam Vaske eloquently stating the idea behind local and regional circuits being the “Farm System” or “Minor Leagues”, and to develop major league talent the rules need to be the same or very similar at all the levels. That means starting at the top down; National Organizations need to take the responsibility to solve the problems. Unfortunately the National organizations have left it up to the states and have made multiple poorly throughout amendments to the rulebook.

There are probably numerous ways to level the playing field between the diesel and alcohol tractors and these are just a few proposed solutions. However, the national organizations also need to set limits which can be easily enforced. The idea of restrictor plates may have merit but it would just be one more thing for the already overworked tech officials to patrol. Weight of tractors and drawbar is already done at every event and would be easy to regulate and control.

There has also been discussion of having the big Alcohol tractors pull in with the Mods. From a fans point of view this would be a complete disaster. Fan confusion, especially; fans that aren’t everyday fans, or new fans would be extremely detrimental for the sport. Confusion leads to disinterest, which makes it pretty tough to grow a sport.

As always, I welcome all opinions or comments regarding my proposed rule changes. Please post any and all responses on the Feedback page, and please remember only rational and mature dialog will be tolerated. You don’t have to agree with my ideas but remember to keep your thoughts family friendly. I look forward to hearing your opinions, thanks.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Comments

Post A Comment

Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 59, Posts: 59.

Our newest member JD_8520