Fair and Reasonable Light Superstock Rules (originally posted on November 21, 2002)

Published October 28, 2008 05:47AM, by Jake MorganViewed: 3069 times

(originally posted on November 21, 2002)

The Light Superstock class has struggled this year on the National level. That doesn’t mean the class is dead, in fact it is extremely healthy in certain regions but it is definitely hurting as a whole. One reason the class is hurting is because there is a lager division between fans and pullers who want the class to be a smaller version of the Unlimited Superstock class, and the fans and pullers who want the class to be a limited 300 cubic inch starter class. Unfortunately there are a number of big motors (504 CID) already built but I’m still a huge fan of the small tractors like Allis Chalmers 180’s & 190’s, Farmall 460’s & 560’s, Oliver 1650’s etc… However there are ways to level the playing field other than engine size.

Proposed rules:

1. ENGINE
    1. Alcohol Engine size to be no larger than 504 CID
    2. Diesel Engine Size to be no larger than 540 CID
    3. OEM block that will operate with the stock crankshaft for that make. Factory recommended replacements are also acceptable (no crossing brand lines)
    4. OEM block must be offered in a rigid frame 2wd tractor only.
    5. OEM block cannot be altered in any way externally, except for normal repair or for mounting fuel injection pumps
    6. No overhead cams
    7. Engine Placement
      1. No farther forward than 60" from the centerline of the rear axle to the rear of the engine block.
      2. Crankshaft can be no lower than 4" of the center of the rear axle
    8. Maximum 2 valves per cylinder
  2. TURBOS
    1. Alcohol tractors are allow three (3) turbochargers maximum: two (2) pressure stages
    2. Diesel tractors are allow four (4) turbochargers maximum: three (3) pressure stages
  3. FUEL SYSTEMS
    1. Acceptable fuels are methanol and diesel
    2. No oxygen carriers or combustion accelerators
    3. No nitrous oxide, nitro methane or propylene oxide
  4. WATER INJECTION
    1. No combustible agents or oxygen carriers allowed in water injection
  5. TIRES
    1. 30.5 x 32 maximum size tires
  6. WEIGHT
    1. Alcohol tractors shall run at 5,500 lbs*.
    2. Diesel tractors shall run at 6,000 lbs*.
    3. (*) Weights will be adjusted by the national organizations throughout the season.
      1. Weight shall be adjusted until either fuel wins 50 (±10%) of the hooks.
      2. Weight differential between fuel types shall not exceed 500 lbs.
      3. Weight will be adjusted simultaneously, and equally.
      4. i.e. if a diesel tractor dominants: the methanol tractors shall weigh 5,600 lbs., and the diesel tractors shall weigh 5,900 lbs.
  7. DRAWBAR
    1. Alcohol tractor shall run a 20” drawbar**.
    2. Diesel tractors shall run a 20” drawbar**.
    3. (**) Drawbar will be adjusted by the national organizations throughout the season ONLY after the 500 lbs. weight differential has been reached.
      1. Drawbar shall be adjusted until either fuel wins 50% (±10%) of the hooks.
      2. Drawbar will be adjusted simultaneously, and equally.
      3. i.e. if a methanol powered vehicle dominants and the 500 lbs. weight differential has been reached: the diesel tractors shall weigh 6,000 lbs. and have a 21” drawbar, and the methanol tractors shall weigh 5,500 lbs with a 19” drawbar.
  8. CHASSIS
    1. Component tractors are acceptable.
    2. Any rearend is acceptable
    3. If stock rearend is used, without stock transmission housing or O.E.M. replacement housing chassis must have tie bars capable of supporting the weight of the tractor or full-length frame rails.
    4. Aftermarket clutch housing, transmission case, rear end housing and axle housing are acceptable.
    5. One piece main cap bearings allowed, one piece main cap, not considered a girdle.
    6. Tractors must have hood, grill, and fenders in place.
    7. Hood and engine combination must match manufacturer
    8. Wheelbase: maximum 114”
    9. Maximum length 13 feet from center of rear axle to forward most part.
  9. ROLL CAGES
    1. All Tractors must have 47.1 SFI Spec. roll over protection.
Reasoning for the Rules:

There are already too many 504 CID methanol tractors out there that are built specifically for this class. To ask those pullers who have spent a considerable amount of money recently wouldn’t be necessary, the 504 CID limit stays. The ATPA currently allows unlimited cubic inches for the diesel tractors although this may not be feasible because of the weight restrictions it is still a good idea to put limits in place before someone figures out how to get a huge diesel motor to make weight.

There should be a little leeway on the engine blocks, any factory recommended replacement should be allowed, i.e. if IH recommends replacing a 360 CID with a 436 CID then it should be allowed. If you want to run a 531 in a 4010 it should also be allowed.

Unfortunately the next big changes hurt the Squealer, no overhead cams. The Squealer is one of the most exciting tractors in the class but if you’ve read any of my other proposed rule you’d know that I’m not a big fan of gandfathering tractors. Rules should either be all or none, there should be exceptions for one or two vehicles. The Squealer will fit in just fine in the heavier Superstock class.

The weight breaks and the drawbar are similar to those in the Superstock class, with the only exception being 500 lbs. instead of 1,000 lbs. I also think the overall weight of the class should be lowered to 5,500 lbs. Lowering the weight would take some of the advantage away from the big motored tractors. The much lighter AC 190’s, Farmall 560’s, etc… can’t keep up with the horsepower but are much lighter and would have the advantage of movable weight. It may not completely level the playing field but it would be a good start to keep a large variety of tractors in the class.

The last big change would be the component chassis, it’s the wave of the future and they are much safer. Unfortunately running a 504 methanol New Holland with a Ford 4000 rearend doesn’t seems like a very safe option. The transition to the component chassis in the light class is coming eventually so it just seems logical to make the move now. The NTPA has already made the right decision, now it’s time for the ATPA to get on board. The ATPA’s “any engine with any rearend of the same manufacture” is basically a component tractor so why not just make that final step before someone puts a big alcohol motor in a Farmall H rearend, Safety first.

One other minor change is roll cages, make the light tractors use the same SFI 3-bar cage as their heavier counterparts. There is no need for a separate spec. for this class. It limits some of these tractors from stepping up to the Superstock class.

Notes:

Before I write this last statement I want to write one comment: This is one of the most exciting classes in pulling, there is great variety and these light little powerhouses are great to watch and they look like a handful to drive. With all that being said unfortunately this class should not have a national circuit, at least not a complete national schedule. Maybe if the turnout for the class gets a little better and all the organizations adopt the same rules, but right now they should only be run at select nation events. I definitely think these tractors are a great addition to any state or regional circuit. Maybe in the future they could run a full national circuit again but at this time there are not enough vehicles supporting the class. Class support is the only reason I would make such a comment. The NTPA and ATPA needs to find 4 or 5 national events each for the light tractors giving them a total of 8 –10 chances to showcase their class at the national level.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 12:43AM by Jake Morgan.

Comments

Post A Comment

Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 59, Posts: 59.

Our newest member JD_8520