what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 17, 2011 05:55PM
Just wondering what some of your opinions are of why some long-time pullers have quit pulling or have tractors but don't bother to bring them out much anymore? Is it truly the economy? the sport being ran into the ground by pullers wanting an unrealistic amount of money for payback? the lengths that some will go to to win that plastic trophy? the crap that gets posted on this site in particular? It all adds up at some point-a few make it not fun and make themselves even less liked when they didnt have much going for them in the first place. What's everyones opinions?

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 17, 2011 08:21PM
I have lost it right now. I don't think it's one thing. The economy is uncertain and perhaps the play money isn't there. I feel the performance bar get's pushed so high all the time it is just crazy to continue right now. It is a neverending cycle and after a while you have to question is it worth it. Also I think it is to hard to go back. Who would like to go back to farm or hot farm after running a super farm. I run a SS and I would not like to drop down to a superfarm. So it easier to leave in the shed and run when you want.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 17, 2011 11:22PM
time! time!, we are the only species on this earth who are acutely aware of our own mortality! while pulling down the track is special to most, the time it takes to get to a venue usually takes away from other responsibilities. I said to myself a couple years ago,it's time to slow up the pace a bit because you are not 21 anymore! so if my main source of income becomes neglected,I soon won't have the resources to support the puller! besides watching the sun go down with a beer in hand, and your dog beside you is much less stressful then the hours on the highway traveling to and from pulls! just my .02 worth

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 12:22AM
Sometimes you just get sick of the D-bags, liars, and cheaters you deal with on a daily basis involved in pulling. Get sick of the time it takes. The effort you have to put into it, all the work you do on yours and other peoples stuff for nothing.

Buy a harley! You won't even care much about pulling anymore. I know I don't. And I could go pulling in 2 days with a brand new motor if I would just take the time to go pick it up. And that was 2 months ago!

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 12:41AM
In my case I got divorced. I still love pulling and I am heavily involved as a builder but my days of spending my money are done.
Most people cannot begin to understand the amount of time and money it takes to stay competitive. Everyone looks at the pulling vehicle but you also need to keep in mind how much we have tied up in haulers, tools and shops, etc. I can also backup the earlier post I cannot backup after driving a SSD and yes I too bought a Harley and love it, just got back from Sturgis awesome trip!

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 01:06AM
I believe that we all got into pulling to have FUN! When it stops being fun, it's time to do something else. And yes I ride my Harley alot more now.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 02:23AM
I am in agreement with every post previous to mine. I too have been thinking about retiring or semi-retiring the puller. After 40+ years of pursuing the sport passionately, the handwriting is on the wall. Yearly upgrades to stay competitive is becoming more and more cost prohibitive, and, as stated above, it's just not worth the expense. I have been competing in the USS class, which in my opinion, is the primo class to be a part of. With the introduction of component tractors, multi-charger $80K engines, quarter mill pulling rigs, sky high fuel prices, higher entry fees, higher insurance fees, higher membership fees, etc. etc. etc., there comes a time when you have to say UNCLE. Granted, there will always be someone to come along and take your place, and, chances are, your absence will probably only a small blip on the radar screen. There are many deep pockets out there, and, as the saying goes: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen, or, If you can't run with the big dogs, stay under the porch.

I doubt that I will be able to 100% NOT PULL. I will probably set a mileage limit, probably 100 miles or less, and do the "PICK AND CHOOSE" thing. We have won the points championship multiple times, so, as far as that goes, we have nothing else to prove. Also, as stated in a previous post, it takes an inordinate amount of time and dedication to keep up the regiment that it takes for a "POINTS CHASE/POINTS CHAMPIONSHIP". Things and projects at home suffer greatly.

The friendships, competition and comradery are probably MORE important than the prize money........although a little prize money does EASE THE PAIN, somewhat. I've seen many many changes in rules and equipment throughout my 40+ years, and, just about the time you think you've seen it all, and that things are going to level out and stay where they are for a while; WHAMO.......somebody figures something out and ups the anti. SO; the vicious cycle of "keep up" starts all over again. I, for one, am NOT complaining; as I have voted FOR almost every performance upgrade throughout the years. I knew, little by little, I was OBSOLETING my own tractor. It's just that the graffiti is on the wall, and I've been around long enough to know what the secret code is that is embedded in the scribblings. It MAY be MORE fun to show up now and then just to see how far in the toilet you REALLY are, or would have been had you stayed in the game.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 03:07AM
I decided when my daughter came along, it was time to build a bigger, newer home so I parked mine for a few years. I still went to several pulls but from looking at it from that view, it was not as much fun. And you start seeing life different. It cost a lot to build the house but I would not trade that for tractor parts upgrades. The house is paid for and I built it myself, with the wife's help. After that, it would cost so much to get back into pulling even at a lower level than I was running. I decided it was time for me to let the young kids and the millionaires entertain everyone at the pulls. Maybe some day as the urge still hits me often. If, or when I build another puller, I want to build something different from the normal.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 03:57AM
1 Money

2 relasionship with your other half or childern

3 tired of not getting were you think you should be.

4 work

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 24, 2011 03:01AM
Time and Money in the Puller, Hauler and Fuel, and the bit*hing amongst other competitors, But my biggest gripe this year is being treated absolutley terrible by the promoters. This year I have come in contact with more unfriendly people that dont care you are there and say if you dont like it dont come, and with that Fine I wont come back and you wont have a show to make money off of admission and food and beer. Also its tough when they charge you $20 just to get in plus a hook fee, plus have to pay $20 for a pit guy and then the payout isnt jack. Its tough and makes a person think how much longer they want to deal with this. Just my 2 cents.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 03:33AM
Divorce is a huge cause of it, the wife finds out how much $$$ you got in that toy of yours and the war begins. I want a new house, a new car, vacations here and there, next thing you know, everything is up for sale just to settle the divorce. The cost to build a competitive tractor on any level has escalated over the years dramatically and that has pushed alot of guys out and they have pursued other hobbies.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 10:27AM
The complaining and making everyone happy.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 05:00AM
I think puller X hit it best. You spend countless hours working on the thing, trying to eek out tiny bits of performance. You spend more hours hauling it down the road. You show up, and there's a big whiner session over something that's clearly stated in the rulebook, which they take a vote on about whether they're going to abide by the rulebook or not. Then you actually spend 30 seconds enjoying your machine, and then it's back to the hours hauling it down the road.

My garden tractors sit in the shop untouched. I work on someone else's big tractor now because at least it's different whiners, different roads, and it's a lot more interesting to work on it.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 11:30AM
I too have stepped away from pulling for a while.

After I quit pulling I definitly see things a lot clearer now. It's insanity! Every Monday morning I was on the phone with Hyper or Colombus Diesel. $80 to next day air something to Illinois, $500 to fix it, $80 next day air back to my house. Oh, a new turbo! $4300! No problem! Next day air it to me $150. Maybe I should try a different set of injectors. $2000 plus of course next day air. Maybe I should try new tires, $3000 plus miss a day of work to go pick them up. Oh, Scheid just came out with a new injection pump, Here's my $14,000 plus next day air. Sometimes my UPS wouldn't arrive at my shop till 10:00AM, so it would be better to be waiting at the UPS distribution place at 6:00am. TO stay competitive requires constant upgrading of your tractor. And I guarantee if you don't upgrade your competitors will. Something has to give. My house needed new siding, the shed needed painting. AT THE end of the season I had blew my savings and my credit cards were maxed out. You get the point.

I was very successful at pulling, but later I began to realize nobody really cared if I won or lost, except me. I doubt most fans or other pullers can remember what place you took 10 minutes after the pull.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 12:12PM
I got out of pulling about 3 years ago. The thing I dislike the most about pulling is everybody wants to win so bad, they don't mind starting a big fight between all the pullers even when they are wrong. The second thing is, you get to the pull, park next to somebody in the same class and try to bs with them and they won't give you the time od day. No body will bs with eachother or even give you a few pointers or tricks that they have learned. WHERE IS THE FUN!!!!! I started 4 wheeling mud bogs now people are lot nicer and will shake your hand after they lose and even buy you a beer. Its a lot nicer then pulling.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 21, 2011 10:25AM
cry babys
I got out of pulling about 3 years ago. The thing I dislike the most about pulling is everybody wants to win so bad, they don't mind starting a big fight between all the pullers even when they are wrong. The second thing is, you get to the pull, park next to somebody in the same class and try to bs with them and they won't give you the time od day. No body will bs with eachother or even give you a few pointers or tricks that they have learned. WHERE IS THE FUN!!!!! I started 4 wheeling mud bogs now people are lot nicer and will shake your hand after they lose and even buy you a beer. Its a lot nicer then pulling.

This is actually one thing I've seen already. Lately, I've been going to some pulls around here stag and when people don't reckognize you they don't talk. Asking them a simple question about some simple things and they look at you like "how dare you talk to me without knowing me?" and give you a prick-ass reply on top of it. I said to myself...."welcome to tractor pulling?".......

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 12:21PM
This is a pretty good post...I thought about it on and off throughout the day today. I'd say there are a few reasons why I've lost a little interest in pulling this year.

Here is my top 5 reasons as to why I've lost a little bit of interest in pulling this season.

-Money; I'm not a farmer, nor do I have a business or a sponsor or a really good paying job and trying to keep up with the competitors is hard to do! Uncle Sam just doesn't pay me enough! LOL!

-Time. My job keeps me away more now than previous years. Last year, I spent a lot of time rushing to wrench on the tractor the night before or the morning of a pull, thus causing more problems than good! Some people can work magic in short periods of time and I am not one of them.

-Organizations. Alot of these organizations play favorites to certain classes and others are treated like read headed step children because of it. The lack of teching tractors and not holding a puller to the standard. Vague rules also affect pullers as well. Organizations create rules and then leave them up for interpretation. Interpreting by the puller. That shouldn't be. The organization should dictate and lay the rules down in black and white. This leads to my next reason as to why I've lost some interest.

-Poor Sportsmanship. This year, more than I can remember in my short pulling career, there has been alot of negativity associated with the sport. You're a cheater, he's a cheater, this pulling team sucks, this driver sucks, this builder blows, this tractor gets an advantage, blah,blah,blah...It's like being back in High School, without the tator tots.

-Family/Friends; I have a little boy and the nights of getting home at 3 a.m. and getting back up at 5, while trying to spending quality time with him and my wife is almost impossible. To my knowledge, she still loves me...Too many more nights of coming in late, waking everyone up might change that. I recently lost a friend/pulling mentor. He's big reason why I love pulling so much, but it took losing him for it to finally hit me that family is more important than any tractor.

Pulling is still a great time, don't get me wrong, but I don't get as bent out of shape as I did the past few years if I couldn't make a hook. I'll catch the next pull...If not, I'll get to one eventually.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 12:46PM
There are a lot of good points on this thread. I think most guys have found one way or another that you have to find some moderation in pulling. Meaning you can't spend all your time and money on it. It takes a little while to figure that out depending on your personality but in the end we all do. Essentially for me I reached a point where my entertainment dollar to fun ration was so high I started not having fun. At that point I decided to slow down and spend more time playing with the tractor and doing more of my own modifications and upgrades than just buying the newest best thing available. I think if you get your kids or grand kids involved and make it more of a family affair like where it came from you will have more fun. Also take the time at pulls to stop and stick your hand out for a hand shake and just BS a little with other pullers. The sport needs to get back to it's roots and the pullers are the only ones who can make that happen.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 12:47PM
clayton those are all good reasons. i sold my tractor and miss it dearly, but dont miss all the drama and bs. still love pulling went to iowa state fair to watch yesterday. i have alot more fun going to the pulls with randy and those east coast guys its alot less stressful to go along and help and i still get the benifits of visiting everyone. everyone comes to the point when they dont enjoy going to pulls for many different reasons maybe money, time, work or family. i always said it cost to much not to enjoy it so when itcame to that it was sold. im sure i'll build another i enjoy it to much not to have my own just dont know when, but when i do, i wanna go fast!

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 01:08PM
We were small time 3lm pullers, pulled every weekend with a good sized group and had a lots of fun, now one of the guys shows up with his tractor and a 3x3 charger and pulls against the 3lm tractors, thats sure fun, not. He got tired of not winning so he whipped out his big farm checkbook and sure showed us peons. He runs the show so anything goes. Just don't want to get into a checkbook fight I can't win, so it can sit.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 02:06AM
ih fan
talk about a bunch of softies,,my wife, my job, my money, my family, my,my,,my,my................if pullin is so bad, what the hell are you doin on this page? get a life , you bunch of babies... some people just make me want to throw up.....me me me me me me me me QUITERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You sound like yet another trust fund baby. Daddy will take the checkbook away from you one of these days, sonny, and you'll see things a lot differently.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 01:11PM
My father was a puller before me,I'm 54 grew up with pulling,I have met people from all over the country and some from across the pond,I loved it and lived for the next pull,9 different pulling tractor's,I have traveled the miles,worked the night's and days,burned the candle from both ends,won and lost gracefully,most of the time,their will be no more tractor's I just go to a few pulls now as a fan,I don't have to travel home with a blown engine,turbo or turbo's junk, or many of the other issues involved,their is a new generation of puller's,it is a builders and suppliers hay day now,their does not seem to be any economy issues in the pulling industry,the tractors are getting more spent on them than ever,their are more pullers than ever before,just build it and they will come.I know of people that have waited up to 4 years and counting for engines and componet's to be built,perhaps the usa can learn pulling dollars could erase the national debt,more machine shops need to get involved in this endless supply chain,it is a diease and an addiction but a good one.However I have learned as someone said earlier no one really remembers,and as soon as the dollars dry up,another will take your place,just take a look around the pit's it is an odd sighting to see a pickup and a goose neck trailer any more,even in the small club's,Nascar expense and poverty level payout,Happy pulling to all and hopefully one day sponser money will trickle down to the puller's.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 01:37PM
Simple REALITY is what made me lose interest, Wound up with a great Quad my wife and I ride 2500 trail miles a year. Hours and hours of rideing some of the best trails in the Western US. This opposed to a 15 second blast down the track on the puller.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 01:55PM
I doubt anyone one this thread hates pullin (as you so gracefully put it) some have just moved away from the competition end of it.

I guess for me the pulling is fun, it's just a%&%##%holes like you I get tired of.

Love, Captain Clumsy

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 11:59PM
Never said I "Hate pullin" I still pull when time permits, there are other interests in my life that are as important if not more. If you took time to read the original post you would understand that this is a legitimate question and this is the site to discuss it.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 01:57PM
I know this will stir the pot because I am female . We live in central Iowa. I love pulling my tractor. Hubby pulls also. It does get expensive with two. I work extra hours on a big Dairy farm to get extra money to go tractor pulling and we love to tractor pull. We have 2 small children that are to young to take to a pull. Thank God for Grandma's.
I agree with Clay Hill Binder .
Organizations!!!! in our area the organization has rules. But the President does not in force anything. The pulls are "Run What You Brung" . Nothing gets checked. We have upgraded both tractor for this year , but guess what it's not enough.
Poor Sportmanship is another issue. Everyone is out for blood and win, win , win no matter what. We don't pull smokers just classic tractors.
Postings on this page another issue. I have read things wrote in a polite way threats to people, people typing un true things about another puller in our area. The sad part is some really believe things wrote on here. I didn't post my real name because I feel just because I am female men out there don't like a women tractor puller.
What happened to the days when it was fun to pull against freinds and win and then shake hands and tell then good job buddy !
My 2 cents.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 04:15PM
I really don't care that you are a woman puller and really doubt that many others do. I hate when the announcer tries to make a big deal of it. Who cares wether the driver is a male or female, if you a decent driver, then just be a good driver? I know of people who can't build a decent tractor, so they stick a female on it, just for the attention, and she can't drive it at all (not even able to put it in gear). It shouldn't matter and by making a big deal that you are a woman puller, seems like you are wanting people to put you in a different category, but every driver is doing the same thing and women are just as capable as anyone, so they shouldn't be thought any less of. Just be good at what you do and be good enough at it that people don't have to say well she did good for a woman, they should just say she did good.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 18, 2011 11:36PM
Time and money.

Many pullers joke about how their tractor is their other woman. Well for enough guys its their only one, and for some guys its their only one because of the tractor. Some have a hard time finding a balance. If you can find the perfect girl who is out there in the shop helping you, it helps, i found one like that, but enough of them still want time away from pulling. Add into that the rest of your family and friends, and you start to realize it and cut back.

I think many people understand the money side of things, they know it costs a lot, but i dont think they know how much it costs, not just to build it, but the travel expenses and repairs.

Ive lost a little interest in it. It used to be fun, now its like a chore. When i pulled Diesel 4x4, it was fun, we all had decent power, but not breaking the bank, everybody did good, and everybody was great freinds. Now everybodys got $20,000-$40,000 stuck in engines (i know it doesnt sound like a lot to tractor guys) and they are all going to open driveline and it was basically time to either put up the cash, or get out. Sure you can have fun as the underdog, but after awhile it gets kind of boring. I like going fast down the track and when the sled is set for a 1200hp truck and you show up with 600hp its not as fun. Still a great group of guys though.

Now i turn wrenchs on a tractor running with local organizations. Just trying to make the pulls close to home takes a lot of time. The money side of things isnt my responsibility now which is nice. But the time commitment is even bigger. I dont think that people understand the time commitment it takes to campaign a tractor. I cut back on it when i realized my actual work wasnt getting done. All of the vehicles and equipment that needed repairs for the farm were piling up, it got to the point where i enjoy working on regular equipment just as much as the puller. Ive got the attitude now that it will get done when it gets done.

The whining is getting worse too. Like stated, there isnt as many friendly people as there used to be. I help put on a local pull and do a lot of the teching and such. People will come up to you and complain because they didnt win so somebody must be cheating. I tell them if $50 means that much to you, get out of pulling. You made the decision to drive 2 hours to a stock pull. Im sorry you got your ass beat by the other guy. They threaten to never come back to your pull and I say good, we dont want whiners. Is it the right call to make? Yes, they will be back anyways just to bitch about it again.

Pulling is fun for awhile, eventually it becomes a stress though. I dream of the day I am a millionaire who never has to go into work so I can sit at home and build pulling tractors. Then I think it would be less stressful.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 03:23AM
I am the original poster of this thread. Wow! I never thought it would bring this much response! I haven't quit, but scaled back so far, most people think I have. I will keep the "dirty laundry" to a minimum. It was fun years ago, but already stressfull. Son and I both pulled small tractors together-against each other. Was awesome watching him work on his own tractor wrenching on it at 12yrs old! he was so in to it! Then, one night we protested 2 tractors for having wrong parts-sh*t hit the fan! All the "love" letters I got in the mail! Then this site started and now they do the cowardly internet crap. Nobody cares people! My son and daughter went along with wife and I as a pulling group. Wife helped club with bookkeeping and registration. Kids and I all pulled. BS. got to be too much so wife and I pulled out of club-within 4 yrs club is now disolved. 3 yrs ago son was killed in a car accident. 9 mos. later daughter got killed. Its hard to come back to something you loved as a family so much when most of that is gone. Now I'm divorced, bought a tractor that son always dreamed of getting and just like to watch my best friend pull it down the track. I love motorcycling, camping, and time away with a new girlfriend. Life is good! I realize how short life can be and take a lot of time to spend with my Dad and brother. Some day that too will all come to an end, so think about all of this. I rode the wave and it was great fun. Now family is the new wave to ride and it's the best thing ever right now. Most of you know who I am so I don't need to sign my name. It's not important who I am today, but who I'll be in the weeks, months, years ahead, and that's happier. To those of you still pulling-enjoy it while it lasts!

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 10:05AM
ih fan, read the post above this one 10 times, you might get it threw your head. Life is short and there are more important things than pulling. And yes I am a puller. First hooked to a sled in 1965. A step on sled in fact. Quit when times got tough. Got back in, quit again when boys were little and in school sports. And now back in again. So don't be calling these fellow pullers Quitters.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 12:52PM
i have been pulling 25 years ihave watched pullers go and come ive seen classes go and come i have had 6 tractors sold 5 of them i have quit 5times won 2or3 points champion ships and still competitive what gets me is when a club starts a new class it starts out agood thing then gets ruint by a bunch of pullers who wil spend what ever it takes to win a 20 dollar trovie no club or member is smart enough to look into the future for instance llss was started to be economical class now whats it cost rule changes every year soon it will be gone clubs need to stick with there rules and not change for some has been or nobody who couldnt compet in a bigger class

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 02:00PM
This is really quite a sad thread, the passion that we all have or have had for this sport is almost great enough to cut. Some of us (ME especially) have found it difficult to keep spending money that is harder and harder to come by. The current economy has forced me to make a decision I didn't want to make. My interest in pulling is just as strong as it always has been but a brush with the grim reaper made me adjust my priorities. I will still be pulling locally but long hauls are out of the question.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 19, 2011 03:20PM
You said it ALL!!!!

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 20, 2011 04:57AM
money

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 20, 2011 05:49AM
I remember the days when Rusty Severe, Findley Boys, Stitt, Shorty Kirkpatrick, Slagel, guys like that all traveled together but pulled against each other. One would break down and the whole group would be there to help one another. They were there to have a good time and put on a great show. I have a feeling if all those guys where around today, they would also lose the interest and the passion they carried for the sport. What happend to the old school pulling? It used to be about how good a wrench turner you were, not how deep your pocket book is. We ran a tractor for 3 years, and loved doing it, but with all the money and back stabbing that seems to come with it, we gave it up.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 22, 2011 02:26PM
I remember some of those. I still pull with Stitt. On the right track he is still tough and a dedicated puller, he travels hours to run with much more advanced tractors. I root for him at every pull and would love to see him find the right track and kick my butt. I still go to support my group, however our numbers are declining. I too can not keep spending to keep up with the top tractors. I will do what I can and build as much as I can myself and try to get close. I have pulled for several years with my daughter, but now she is out of collage and looking to move elsewhere. I intend to keep the tractor if I can but will pull less as I will be working on it and going to pulls by myself.

Some have said that you can't back up but I do not feel that way. I have seen a resurgence of basically stock farm tractor pulling. I am going to a sale Sat. and see about buying a tractor to take to that level of pull. I wont have much in whatever I buy and can do other things with it. That is where I started in 1971 and I believe that was as enjoyable as the pulling I do now. My goal at a pull is to make friends and be as helpful as possible. While the 15 seconds on the track is a rush I find the real enjoyment is with the people I meet and watching other tractors pull.

I will always love pulling even with the whiners, cheaters, crybabies, ups, downs and other such distractions. You will always find those in any sport and on both sides of the track. For those who move on to other pastimes, more power to them as it is their life.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Larry

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 20, 2011 07:16AM
very good topic here. we pulled TWD for ten years back in the 90's and had a good time while we did it. when we started our entire class seemed to help each other out when ever there was breakage. be it the puller or hauler and we also seem to travel in a pack..like a circus and had as much fun traveling together as pulling. when i noticed things changing was when we started getting involved in the political end of it..the last year was hell for us..we were accused of cheating more that once and by the end of the year we couldnt put a for sale sign on it fast enough. now we both ride motorcycle's and really enjoy life. i still go a pull once in a while but thats not even the same anymore. i say hi to the pullers that are willing to talk but there are ones who would rather i didnt even stop in to say hello..thier loss.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 20, 2011 12:07PM
interesting thread, for me it was waking up one day and seeing my oldest child almost grown up and i didn't recall much of any of it beacause i was too deep into my pulling obsession, out of money , failing marrage and realizing i had another child that i could spend time with before he grows up, im still finacialy affected from 20 years of pulling trying to stay on top, won a couple of championships had fun but was it really worth it? I did include my family in the pulling but they got the short end of the deal when it came to any type of quality time . I hope young pullers can take note of this. u have plenty of time to go pulling later in life after your children are grown. and by then maybe your finances can handle it better 2.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 20, 2011 04:00PM
Geez, I think there is a need for a 3247 rpm 4.06 inlet class at 8928 lbs. with a 430 cubic in limit. components allowed.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 20, 2011 05:31PM
Don't laugh...I've seen it done. made a specific odd weight class and other weird rules so a guy could have his own class. seriously!

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 21, 2011 12:41AM
Not laughing here, IAMO does things like that all the time. Not sure why we even used to have rules meetings

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 21, 2011 01:14AM
Look out, someone will come on here and call you all kinds of names! lol

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 21, 2011 01:39AM
OK a little positive. 10 reasons to pull.
10. I can beat the hell out of her and she won't kick, bite or sass back.
9. Can play with her in public and won't get arrested.
8. Can play with her with lights on.
7. Will get arroused at touch of a button.
6. Can leave greasy fingerprints on her with no complaints.
5. Don't have to take a shower before playtime.
4. Her exaust smells better.
3. Her rear end and front end are still the same size and shape.
2. She loses weight instead of gaining.
AND NO. 1 The look in my grandson's eyes when she fires up.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 21, 2011 08:56AM
Stuff like this is ONE of the reasons that I still LOVE pulling. The good guys are great, the whiney guys are tough to deal with. Thanks for the laugh.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 21, 2011 06:11AM
I am not laughing at ALL!!!!!! That's what I mean by politics.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 21, 2011 10:05AM
One year I hooked to sled 12 times had 12 wins . Got tired of winning and no place to put trophies so
I quit. Quit while you are at the top of the game.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 22, 2011 01:39AM
Or, a person with that kind of expertise and winning record could aspire to higher accomplishments and move up a class.

Re: what makes pullers lose interest in pulling? August 22, 2011 10:48PM
pulling is fun, good and bad look at the writers u can take the persons off the pulling tractor but you can't take the pulling tractor out of the persons there all still on pulloff.com.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009