My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 01:50AM
I’m starting to wonder if the Super Farm class has become the “Super Chemistry Class” of tractor pulling. I’m not completely sure why this is; it could be there are just so many more of them than any other classes in tractor pulling (a promoters dream). It could be with the rules are so tight, ever puller needs just that smallest edge to put them out front in this very large class. Or is it that with rules so restrictive the only area that the pullers have any flexibility is in their water and fuel. I think the truth lies some where in the middle.

While most pullers are ingenuous/inventors by nature, the 640 cubic inch motor and 3 inch turbo’s limits their abilities to be very creative. Hence the water and fuel are about the only areas the puller can differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack.

While I am always a big fan of uniform rules are the Super Farm rules to uniform, do the pullers in the class need to have the rules opened up a little to foster more creativity? I know it sounds crazy to be concerned with a class that draws 74 to Bowling Green and is the life blood of many state organizations. However it seems that the Super Farm class has more than it’s share of issues with tainted fuel and or water, (this article is NOT about one certain puller or team) rather about the culture of the class.

So what is the answer?

1; Open up the rules to foster more creativity

2; Have the sanctioning organizations provide both water and fuel to the pullers at each event.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 01:53AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 02:39AM
option 2 looks to be a resonable solution.at each event every tr would be allotted x number of gallons per run,in the event of a pulloff the same amount would be added.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 02:41AM
This class has tremendous numbers of competitors that want to be on the big stage, however with the small inlet rule they will never really fit in. Horsepower is the name of this game and they unfortunately don't have it. They put effort out and get impressive results with what they have to work, it's just not even close to what it needs to be to compete on the national level. This class is tainted with the cheating on the water and fuel, that can't be fixed. The saying "once a cheater always a cheater" has some merit. The only rule you could change to get this class the horsepower it needs would be the turbo rule. Then change the name to get away from the stigma that this class now has.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 03:00AM
The PPL Super Farms seem to put on a little better show by turning the tires at the end of the run. If the Super Farm class is going to hang around, at least open it up to allow intercoolers across the board (NTPA, PPL, Regional, etc.). But I think the fans would be better served if the Super Farm class would be eliminated and replaced with Limited Pro. The smaller cubes and bigger turbo makes more power than the 640 engine trying to breathe through a straw.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 03:46AM
The 640 engine parts are already the standard, small displacement will never generate the same hp as a 640 engine with a large foot turbine.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 09:33AM
I did mean Limited Pro Stock if they still have a 4.1 charger and 540 cube limit. A lot of the tractors are "bought not built" but everything costs money. With the smaller engine, you might not spend as much on the engine to get cubes, but who knows you might end up just spending that on the bigger turbo. It's beating the dead horse again, but Super Farms are the epitome of Red vs. Green and nobody else, save from a few Cases or maybe even a Ford or Massey. It seems to me either allow the intercoolers on the Super Farms in NTPA, or change it to a 4.1 class. It gets really boring watching 70 of them run down through there and 60 of them can't turn the tires. Lighten the weight, do something.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 15, 2011 06:48PM
Lighten the weight and make it more of a driver's class...

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 03:24AM
Just my opinion, at least part of the reason is that the SF engines are a lot more reliable because with the limited air they're not being pushed as far. This makes it a lot more tempting to try to squeeze out every little bit of available power, and the real limiting factor in this class is the oxygen intake. No other NTPA class is limited on oxygen so severely, so I believe that's why you don't see advanced chemistry in those classes. In any other class if you want more air, you change your turbo setup and voila.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 03:28AM
I agree that the class would benefit with some rule changes. If the pullers where allowed to run any manifolds, both intake and exhaust this would give them a chance to use their engine building skills.

When Oliver 1655 said Limited Pro Stock I believe he was referring to the NTPA Light Pro Stock class.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 04:51AM
With 75 of these super farms coming to an event it seems as if the guys pulling this class are happy with the rules in place so why do we outsiders think we need to bash there class? If the people in this class want rule changes I am sure they will go to the organization and ask for one, majority rules. I mean really I dont pull in the super farm class and its not my favorite class to watch at an event, but with that many poeple pulling that class if they didnt like the class there is a dozen other classes they could switch to. I see this topic on here all the time, but at any event you go to it is always the biggest class and the reason is its probably the cheapest class to build for.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 05:59AM
Go with a 3x3.5" turbo rule, allow intercoolers, and since the water and fuel drains are required for testing drin the pullers fuel and water and dump it in the next tractor. That way you have no idea whos water or fuel you will be running!! Its no added cost to the organizations that way.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 08:02AM
Allow the use of the little blue bottle. Bolt on HP. Reduce cheating by not having to hide it. Keep it safe where they can be seen and inspected.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 11, 2011 09:03AM
maybe dropping 1000 to 1500 lbs. would make them drive them instead of seeing who can get the last inch of lug out of them. Seems funny to me that the lowest HP class weighs the most.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 12, 2011 01:48PM
You might have your facts straight on the hp weight comment...prostocl usually weigh 10200 or 10300lbs (forget which). Super Farm are 9300lbs at most events.

dps

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 13, 2011 01:52AM
Rod Doctor
You might have your facts straight on the hp weight comment...prostocl usually weigh 10200 or 10300lbs (forget which). Super Farm are 9300lbs at most events.

dps

>Spinning

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 13, 2011 02:50AM
The Nebraska Bush Pullers used to run the super farm class @ 8200 and 9200lbs. and the 8200 was more fun for me when I used to be super farm, so maybe the weight reduction is something to look at, but I would not start to put on bigger turbos, and change other things cause there are other classes to fit the more powerful types of tractors, and also I don't think the super farm class should, or ever will die, a good class. Darin

Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 03:53AM
I for one would love to see PPL tweak the super farm rules just a bit to increase horsepower and it could be done relatively easily. Yes, the class works great and puts on a very good show. We do spin out at the end of a run and in most cases will gain rpm just before clutching the tractor. Here are my proposals: change the charger to a 3x4 (could still use precision or HX60 frames and put a larger exhaust wheel or use the common 3.15x4 that a lot of HX60 come equipped with). Also allow an exhaust header and keep all other rules the same. This will certainly increase the horsepower without effecting the life of the motor. The bigger charger classes certainly limit the # of runs someone can make in a season. Some will say that you would be straying too far from the rules of NTPA....so, most do not run both anyways! It is a good class, but as time goes on, rules can/will be changed with the advancements in technology to improve the product.

As for the chemistry class. The more rules you make the more you have to enforce! Everyone has access to the same "substances" that some are using in the fuel and water. If you open it up to everything except NOS....no one can complain. Personally, what do I care what someone else runs if I have the same opportunity to run it. Too often competitors worry about what another tractor is doing and not what they are doing to their own.

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 04:58AM
PPL
If you open it up to everything except NOS....no one can complain.

So are you saying they should even allow alcohol in the water? What percentage? What about straight alcohol and no water? What about nitro-methane? Where do you draw the line? Seems like it would be a huge can of worms.

I'm completely in favor of the organizations giving fuel and water at every event. You run their water and you aren't allow to change it or add ANYTHING to it. The one caveat, this should NOT be a money maker for the organizations, it should be for the good of the class. The clubs shouldn't make a dime off of the fuel and water, they should just break even. The goal should be to keep competition fair and keep their product reputable.

As for a bigger charger, they already have a Limited Pro 640 4.1 class that's growing (which is already too close to SF as it is). The 540 Light Pro is an up-and-coming class as well so there are plenty of other options out there for the pullers that don't want to pull SF anymore.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 06:18AM
Jake sometimes I bite my tongue when I read your comments because you always take something and twist the hell out of it and sometimes look so shorsighted. Not a personal attack by any means, but you are very oppinionated and rational doesn't come from a pullers perspective.

As for tweaking the current super farm class. This is something to be considered by the pullers in the class and these would be affordable options to go faster. Your comment about being too close to 4.1 lim pro and light pro holds zero water. Had the rules been updated years ago we wouldn't have the need to add a new class every 2years because someone wants to go faster. The 4.1 was added by a region and yes it took off. I personally know several ppl super farms that would have been in favor of changing to the 3x4 years ago and this would have been a seamless transition with added horsepower. Now those tractors are moving to the 4.1 lim pro and have to buy at the bear minimum cam, pump, injectors, head, change compression, etc... or entire new motor to be competitive. It is easy for you to say keep it as it is, but as it has been said before you aren't spending the money and also why do we want more classes when we can adjust and makes changes to what we already have. Everytime you do this you dilute the product and confuse spectators. I simply want to see this class, with a good framework of rules, continue to grow.

As for your comment of Nitro....come on Jake...you know better than that. If someone wants to repeatedly burn pistons with 100% alky then more power to them. A percentage is a joke....and again how do you police that. Rules to compound rules and make enemies of competitors.

Furthermore, I think it is funny that people think SF pullers are the only ones running the "accelerants" in their fuel and water. Talk about looking through "rose-colored" glasses!

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 07:33AM
as a puller in the super farm class i would like to see all fuel and water supplied to the pullers..the ntpa test for fuel now is a joke.. it reads diff c tane at diff temps. changes day to day not even close to rite...as far as the styform cup thats the dumbest thing i ever heard of...as 60 of the 72 tractors in bolling green didnt pass...as far as turbos yes would be nice to run a 3.5 or little bigger...but would be better if all ass.had any 3x3.no gt42 out of box..it is getting to be a lot of dollars spent to gain 10 to 50 extra horse,but that what it takes to be on top...would like to see ntpa have a supplier furnish fuel and water....that takes care of one problem...its really funny how there the only class that ever gets checked..i think in 10 years of pulling ive never seen ant samples pulled from any other classes...

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 12:30PM
The cup dont lie. Additiv eats bottom of cup no mater how much in diesel and diesel that passes wont try it yourself judt holdd it awy from yourself when u do it itll get al over yur boots
Cups not stupid its simpl u can git.the stuff at the beaut supply store get your wife to pick some up bet its cheepr there

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 11:32AM
PPl
Jake sometimes I bite my tongue when I read your comments because you always take something and twist the hell out of it and sometimes look so shorsighted.

No offense, but I simply asked for clarification about a simple comment you made. How is that twisting the hell out of something? What exactly did I twist the hell out of? So to be clear, you are against nitro-methane (thankfully, but just so you know, some people on this page believe that it should be allowed in some classes, so I don't think a clarification is out of line... you did say "everything except NOS" after all). On the other hand... you think it would be OK to run methanol, and you honestly believe that running it will burn pistons and it won't work. Sorry, but plenty of people have added methanol to their water, yes some have burned pistons, and some haven't. There are people who burn plenty of pistons on straight water and there are people who will figure out when and how much methanol to inject and it will add big power gains in the SF class. Good luck when that happens.

Side notes:
- I lobbied for a 3x4 on this page for years and years, it made sense and added a modest amount of power.
- I also argued that we don't need more classes when we can adjust and makes changes to what we already have, but the orgs never have the backbone to make changes.
- "Everytime you do this you dilute the product and confuse spectators" maybe your new to the page, but I've also argued this for years and years.

If I were to take the perspective of a HONEST puller I'd be fine with fuel and water being supplied by the organizations. I'd much rather know that I won or lost a fair fight.

Sure accelerates are used in other classes, but it sure seems to be a big issue in the SF class, and that is the class this thread is talking about. Just for the record, I'd be fine if they supplied fuel and water for all the classes (again, as long as the organizations don't try to use it as a money maker)

I'm still not sure what I twisted the hell out of, maybe you can clarify. Please also clarify how it makes me look shortsighted. Please also clarifiy how my opinion about fuel and water isn't a pullers perspective, because actually, I've had that discussion with a number of pullers in the SF class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 11:49AM
Not worth arguing about. I see that we are on the same page on some issues for the class and we will leave it at that. Thanks for your wesite, as it allows us to vent our thoughts. I guess I am passionate about the class and like its direction, but hope that it continues to grow and not flat-line.

I do understand people burn pistons with water only. My point is if everything if fair and equal on what you can put into, it would eliminate the bickering. It is already a dyno class so I am sure many would (and already do) on what they drop in their tanks. We spends thousands on mechanical parts to go fast, why is everyone against cheap liquid horsepower? I am not advocating it...I am simply asking the question. They outlaw alcohol in water injection and don't outlaw the $1200 wheel that everyone has to upgrade every year to make more power. Why? It is a performance class right? I guess 2 schools of thought to stop the bickering. Organizations supply the fuel/water or run what ya brung. Either one brings up issues. We run addatives in our daily driven cars/trucks to increase mileage/power.....why are we against it in our tractors/trucks on the track??

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 01:38PM
Why would I not buy both water and turbo? The reason most don't like additives. Is cause its illegal. Where would it end if it became ok to run them. You laugh at Nitro methane. What do you think RC engines run on? Yea you'll burn a piston or two. Until you get the timing backed off and compression lowered. Than the ugly cycle will keep repeating it self until you have more go go juice than diesel. Or fill the water tank with pure H2O2( just not for cuts and scrapes anymore.) Lets not forget about the good old crop oil. If any of you guys are running this stuff or others. Why are you hiding than if its legal. Hell why not promote the cause. If I was a beating man. I would say there has been more dyno water sold in the past year than ever. Maybe getting caught was a promotional stunt. This class is a restricted air class for a reason. If you want blow fire and make 3000 hp move up in classes. The class has flat lined or srunck. Some are sick of cheater running dyno fuel and water. Lots can't see spending 200,000 to be top dog in a air restricted class. As it shouldn't be.

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 11:43PM
Additives Hummmmm lets have a 2 ether can rule. Only 2 cans for start up and one pull. Pullers choice when they use it.

Re: Interesting Topic...with complete lack of forward thinking November 14, 2011 04:14AM
In regards to having a "spec" fuel and water supplier for Super Farm or any other class for that matter.

"The one caveat,this should NOT be a money maker for the organizations,it should be for the good of the class.

The clubs shouldn't make a dime off the fuel and water,they should just break even".

Do you know what you call a vendor with an exclusive agreement with a sanctioning body that is financially

beneficial to both parties ? A SPONSOR,that's what. Sponsors want a return on their advertising dollars.

Sanctioning bodies need the same return to continue to exist. So a possible win/win solution to to flagrant

rule violation is ignored because someone's moral compass doesn't point North ? I'm calling BS on this one.

Re: Interesting Topic...with complete lack of forward thinking November 14, 2011 11:14AM
The Official Fuel of NASCAR is Sunoco, and the only reason I know that is because it's mentioned repeatedly at every race. Every time there's a pit stop they get advertising return on their investment. Sunoco will make much more selling gas to you and I in one day than they will selling it to NASCAR for a season.

So what's in it for NASCAR? Well, everyone watching the race knows that the exact same fuel is in every car. The race can now be determined by the driver, the pit crew, and the engine builder (and a little bit of luck). The fans know that it's the fairest show possible, and that what keeps fans coming back and that what makes NASCAR money.

The NTPA/PPL/etc... would benefit from the same relationship with a fuel sponsor. The fans would benefit knowing that it's not just who can juice their fuel the most. The fuel sponsor would/should get banners, ads, and mentioned multiple times by the announcer. The organizations make enough money off the pullers, they don't need to make money off fuel and water (but they should not lose money by providing fuel and water either). It should be a simple break even for the organizations to gain integrity.

It's a win-win-win.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 11:49PM by J R.

Re: Interesting Topic...with complete lack of forward thinking November 14, 2011 12:06PM
Outlaws has been doing that for 3 years. The pullers by the same fuel and water from Stern Oil and in return Stern Oil gives the pullers and association $5000. No arguing anymore as everyone runs the same fuel, water, and turbo. Tech can check it with good results since they have a base to compare too. Outlaw tractors compete well when they step outside of Outlaws. Tomah, Louisville, etc.

Re: Interesting Topic...with complete lack of forward thinking November 14, 2011 01:36PM
You seem to be forgetting one thing about Sunoco being the official fuel of NASCAR. NASCAR gets a really big

check from Sunoco for the privilege of being a sponsor. The sanctioning body makes a profit, fairness has

nothing to do with it. Fuel can still be tampered with(Google Michael Waltrip Racing). Super Farm is showing

it's age. After a long time with no rule changes performance increases become increasingly expensive. The

same power improvement that takes thousands of dollars legally can be done on the cheap with "creative"

chemistry.

Re: Interesting Topic...with complete lack of forward thinking November 14, 2011 11:56PM
Yes, Sunoco sends a check to NASCAR, they are buying advertising to a very (very very) big audience. The pulling community is much much smaller and I doubt that anyone is going to invest like that in this sport (or else they already would have). So I don't expect a huge check for Sunoco or BP any time soon. However that doesn't mean it can't happen on a much smaller level, and that is exactly what I'm talking about. A mutually beneficial relationship that better suits the scale of pulling. Something that provides a level playing field and is also affordable.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Interesting Topic November 13, 2011 05:50AM
Superfarm class should be just that. I think this class was started to get some good running tractors without spending limited pro or pro stock money. It worked and worked good for a while. Than came the gear boxes( 5-10 grand),truck rears inside housings(upwards 0f 40 grand), titanium wheel chargers (10 grand plus), and a whole lot more of high dollar per inch items. These things came about so hard and fast because there are so many of them. A very good place to make money for builders. So now here you are competting in a some what budget minded class, with others that have no budget limit. Lets be honest. Everybody that runs a puller wants to win. I know we go to have a good time but, we could do that with a couple of Euclid tires on the farm. So now I got to find power wear my budget can let me. Fuel and water is alot cheaper than these other options. I'm not in favor of this at all. But how do I get to the front when I can't even spend half of what a few of the top guys are spending. Maybe The guys that can out spend you ten fold need to step up a class and actually run with the big dogs. Instead of basiclly cherry picking the Superfarm class with money. I am fully aware money makes power but is it cool when you can by a victory in your class.That 90% of your class can't touch. Maybe there should be different classes of superfarm after so many victorys you have to move up(same rules). Like A,B,C class. Just thinking outside the box alittle. Or how about claimers on tractor parts. Cheating ain't cool but either is cherry picking.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 13, 2011 09:51AM
amen to that! Aleast 8700, 8200 better yet

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 14, 2011 02:27AM
Opening up the rules to keep the cheaters from cheating and close the gap between the haves and have nots is the equivalent to tearing down your fences to keep your livestock from getting out. The better funded teams will always be more able to afford better equipment, and the effect of this multiples exponentially when the rules are relaxed and more is allowed. Those who can't afford to build to the present rules will be at an even greater disadvantage, and cheaters will cheat no matter what the rules are. The tractor count in SF speaks for itself. I say enforcement of existing rules, with particular attention paid to fuel and water, and harsher penalties for cheaters are what the class needs, if anything.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 14, 2011 05:34AM
I love the tight distances between the tractors in the SF class. But with PPL the hot farms are comin close to horsepower but the torque is lackin due to the fewer cubes, and no coolers. wat is needed is a class between hot farm and pro stock which in my own opinion is the 640 4.1 limited pros, all the super farms need to do to go to that class is a bigger charger, more fuel delivery, and external oil, and take off the cooler. no puller wants to decube there tractor, so why make em.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 14, 2011 12:56PM
my opinion is all of this talk is crazy 1st if any one gets cought cheatting in any way fuel weights turbo cubic inch or even filling there fuel tanks after being weighed should forfit all points be kicked out for one year 2nd time never allowed back in any class in that club cheeters never win is bull on the tracks pay backs come later

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 15, 2011 04:43PM
Get the cheaters out and make it fair. and for the one that snuff out at the end you just need to drop a gear or learn how to make power with what you are allowed. cause it sucks watching the tractors snuff at the end.

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 15, 2011 11:51PM
Oh, yes--will you please give the Prostock and the Light Prostock classes this suggestion also? I am so sick of seeing them choke out at the 250 foot mark. Maybe you could suggest a gear ratio rule to NTPA and PPL like NASCAR has!

Re: My opinion--Has the Super Farm Class become the Super Chemistry Class November 16, 2011 02:44AM
It's because with the current sleds you can go further in that high gear & snuffing it than lower gear & spinning out. The grousers hit so hard momentum is most important. Still takes HP to get that momentum though...

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009