safety committee??[youtu.be]

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 22, 2012 10:26PM
no kill switch no blanket

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 22, 2012 10:47PM
didnt see tie bars

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 23, 2012 12:24AM
Tie bars and a blanket anyone?

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 23, 2012 12:43AM
definitely flywheel as friction plate can be seen departing the scene! am assuming organizers of said event were looking forward to a "good show" so decided to look the other way in regards to the obvious possible results! just hope no one was hit!

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 23, 2012 12:51AM
it folds up for easy storage and transport. brilliant!

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 23, 2012 12:53AM
Pump hung and revved sky high? No side shields. No tie bars. No blanket. Looks like flywheel exploded and cut tractor in half?

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 23, 2012 01:09AM
Look at the smaller chucks of cast to the right of the smoke cloud. WOW!!!

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 23, 2012 01:20AM
is it amazing or lucky know one was hurt or killed from peices?

Re: what's wrong with this picture? April 23, 2012 02:11PM
Probably a good thing that he pulled it so far out. Wouldn't have wanted to see what happened if he got stopped close to the camera operator and the spectators in the stands.

A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 01:48AM
Found this view of the carnage while poking around Youtube:

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 03:21AM
If that doesn't make you stop & think about safety while pulling, I dunno what will.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 04:53AM
Hardly ever see green ones having these kind of explosions is this due to better tractor brand or better wrenchers? I would guess both!! Should have safty equipment either way. Actually it seems like its always those red ones.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 05:09AM
sorry, but there was a series of pictures on this forum about a certain green one doing the same thing in the last year or so! this is not colour exclusive! can happen to any brand, it did look like he was attempting to kill it by engaging the clutch,but that only super heated the cast and you seen the result! we had a "local" pickup detonate a clutch at our local event 2 years ago- completely destroyed every thing under neath but did not penetrate the cab! owner was upset about the damage, couldn't seem to get it to register that he was very fortunate to still be walking and not be wheel chair bound or worse! also we found pieces imbedded at least 6-8" into the hard clay track! absolutely nothing to laugh at!

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 05:26AM
Your a complete idiot if you think this is something only red tractors do. Anything with enough power thrown at stock parts can & will cause trouble. Red, green, blue, orange, yellow, tractor, truck, mini, semi, 2wd or 4wd, safety is no joke at a backyard brush pull or a national event. Our sport can't afford injuries or deaths involved, so do your part before its too late.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 06:03AM
The cost of an SFI flywheel and clutch assembly would have been peanuts compared to a law suit this guy could be facing if anyone was hit with a piece of shrapnal. I remember the days of seeing the local farm pulls, and the 1066's with p pumps hanging on the side with no side shields or ANYTHING that remotely considered safety equipment barrelling down the track at 4000 plus rpm for a trophy! Those days are long gone around these parts!!!

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 06:49AM
It happens to green also just but not even close to as much as the IH ones. Maybe we should do a pole and see why this is. Green tractors stolk parts are just way better than the rest would be my guess.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 06:57AM
Really? Considering I can think of two cast John Deeres that are National or Regional National tractors that split. Now the Tiebars kept them as a single unit and the flywheel didn't fly apart but they split during competition. Now that I think of it both of them happened at Louisville. Green will split just a easy as Red don't be so naive.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 07:14AM
First, learn to spell. You come off as stupid in two ways, in both the content of your comments and how you poorly write them.

Second, this is a serious topic and there is really no room here to be making comments just to get a reaction.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 07:58AM
I guess you told me! I think chevy trucks are better than fords to. And I am sure some redneck reading this will respone to that also and I will continue to have fun untill Im not! And as for spelling you gotta misspell some words or you wont fit into the other 50 perceant that post on here. Its not the pullers falt he has no safty equipment. Most have x amount of moneys to spend and if it comes down to addind 500 horseys or putting in a safer clutch well you guessed it no clutch it is. This is 100 percent the clubs, organization putting on the pull, the tech people or who ever is setting and or checking the or no checking these time bomb. Every year for years of posting and reading on here its the same old song and dance. It get old reading about it so I push buttons instead so sue me. If you want to get serious about doing something about safty quit crying on here about it and when you go to a pull that is not checking or doing something about safty issues rally everyone together and load on the trailer and tell the people in charge your not pulling untill its fixed. This goes for checking safty and just plain rule breakers checks also or cheaters. No you wont get everyone to not pull because most pullers dont give a darn or dont want to hurt anyones feelings. The club I tried to pull in if only 3 tractors showed up and one was totaly outside the rules they would play dumb due to putting on a better show. Listen I dont care what you say on here but the only way you get this fixed is to stick togrther at the event and make them toss the unsafe or cheating pullers out. These guys will fix there safty issues before long they will get tired of driveing to the event and not getting to pull. Im all for safty and following the rules just tired of hearing about it all the time year after year. And by the way the worstestess tractors ever made is a oliver by far.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 09:34AM
That settles it then. Your superior intellect has convinced me to go out and buy a John Deere as soon as possible...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 04:24PM by Oliver1655.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 07:44AM
Sarcasm +1.

In all seriousness though, it doesn't matter what color of tractor it is. This kind of stuff happens to all of them. The key to preventing as always is not the color but the amount of money and time spent on safety equipment and practices. Trust me boy and girls, it is well worth it.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 02:48PM
I thinc eye am gunna tak yur advise and by a shevy and wun uf thum jon deers.

It can happen to Deeres just as easily April 23, 2012 07:34AM
Watch at the 5:40 mark and observe. The tie bars kept the tractor in one piece, but don't try to say Deeres are invincible to detonating a clutch. There might be more instances (so you say) of an IH doing this, but I think there are a lot more IH tractors at the local brush pull level than John Deeres, so there would naturally be more breakage. Just like buying 5 lottery tickets instead of one. The five chances (IH) provide better odds than the 1 (JD).

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 03:04PM
Apparently you have no clue as to what you are talking about! How many 4020, 3020, etc had clutch assembly failure in the field and knocked holes in the bell housing. Not that severe but under stock operating conditions. Color doesnt have damn thing to do with it! You better stick to keyboard pulling so you dont hurt yourself or someone else!

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 12:19PM
It's funny to hear people complain that they have to spend money on saftey equipment. Isn't it.
When you hear people saying they don't need it just have them checkout the video enough said.

Doesn't matter if you running 2700 or 3000 or 5000 Rpm's we are all making way more power and torque than the designers of these tractors ever thought they would. Period.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 10:50AM
No .............. happens to the green ones too dont kid yourself

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 12:13PM
With no disrespect to pullers in California, but with the exception of the handful of superfarms out there (that pull mainly in the midwest), there really aren't many hot stock/hot farm tractors out there. Don't know if they just started a new class, we don't know if the organization that put the pull on has a clue. I know, becuase I was in Cali for almost 7 years and other than farm stock or antique, what you saw in that video didn't exist. I couldn't find a tractor pull out there.

You could tell the pump didn't sound right from the start. Not sure why he didn't stop. I would have been concerned about tearing something up in the motor, he didn't....then we obviously saw what happened at the end.

I blame two parties....the puller and the organization.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 23, 2012 01:43PM
Heck our old Deere 8630 lost the end of the crank at 2100 working in the field. They all can fail even the green ones We still have that tractor. That way if we ever think of getting another green one.we will remember why we should not

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 04:24AM
Something to think about is that this could actually happen to a limited rpm tractor also although not as likely. What caused this was that the injection pump stuck a plunger so this locks up the rack in the pump and it is usually in the full fuel position when this happens. Normally the governor in the pump pulls the rack back to limit the rpm but when the rack is stuck the governor is useless. So a limited rpm tractor would do the exact same thing as this one if it stuck a plunger.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 05:16AM
So we should make all classes run full safty stuff even speed limit and tug pulling I would say!

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 10:53AM
If you can afford to go pullin, you can afford Safety equipment.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 12:38PM
I just spoke with a guy at Columbus Diesel about this today. His suggestion was to run a second linkage to the air shutoff to be controlled (pulled) by the driver. When the plunger sticks an air shutoff works the fastest and the driver will know this is happening long before the sled operator. After seeing this/reading about it...all BS aside I'm going back to the shop tonight to install a second linkage (driver controlled) to my air shutoff.

Thanks for the heads up JIm

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 01:24PM
how will you hook the second one up? i thot about but not sure how to hook it up that way?

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 01:32PM
Run a second cable to a second disconnect point in the linkage that would have to be added. If either cable is pulled the air shutoff reacts the same.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 02:22PM
Wish I could show you all a picture of my bell housing after it sheared all the bolts that hold the pressure plate to flywheel at about 5500 RPMs starting the sled. Every thing was steel and had a safty blanket. Flywheel and pressure plate was ok but the cover and springs was distroyed. Every thing stayed in the safty blanket but the bell housing looked like a bomb went off in side of it.
A stock tractor pulling a stock class can do just what that IH did.
Thank goodnes for safty equipment. MACK

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 02:27PM
I ran a driver-controlled air shutoff, as well as the hookup to the sled, but the question is, could I react faster than the blowup in this video? I'm not sure I could have. My first reaction would probably have been to yank back on the throttle, thinking something happened to my deadman springs. By that time, the clutch would have blown already.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 03:20PM
Buy a high quality Guilotine made for pulling vehicles and it will have a place for two control cables...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 03:12PM by Larry B.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 25, 2012 04:31AM
I've seen two clutches come apart in the past year, both were contained with blankets and tie bars, both on starting line.

Neither was red or green.

I was sitting on the finish line when Up N Atom came apart in 94, the effectiveness of the blanket and tie bars prevented me from understanding how vital their purpose was--I was still wet behind the ears on such things.

Simply put, taking stock parts beyond stock limits, especially those in areas of extreme heat and pressure, spinning above factory RPMs, is risky business.

It seems to be a recurring issue, and thankfully we seem to hear less about it as we become more aware of safety.

I am all for the growth of pulling, be it in the antique side or on the out-of-field and up (smoker) side.

My thought is that there's no reason not to have fun, but when that next step is taken in the sport, up the ladder in competition, the first purchase needs to be the blanket and clutch assembly to handle the pressure that you'll apply to it.

Money spent on those goodies will keep a puller from potential injury of others and themselves, and keep you pulling for years to come.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 04:10PM
It's not hard to do. I've had one on my tractor for two seasons. I just run another cable up to the air shutoff, looped the other cable from the back of the tractor where both will pull the shutoff without interfearing with one another. Be careful to not tie them together because the one from the shed still needs to be able to pull completely out without the other one interfering. Mine works great if you need help or advise give me a shout. Heres my ph # 573 819 6479.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 04:13PM by farmall puller.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 24, 2012 04:54PM
Why would any of you waste your time installing an air shut off and not run a cable to the seat? That one just blows my mind.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 25, 2012 01:09AM
In the video there was less than 5 seconds between the time you could tell it was going to run away and let go...all though the missing a sputtering down should be a clue..but with a helment who knows if the driver could hear it...any pump can run away but it is a more common problem with inline pumps..In fact is it will happen eventually....happens with new pumps as well as used...I see run away pumps at least three or four times a season just in my area each year..It happend to us just this winter at a indoor event...It can and will happen to someone in your club...just becouse we got shut down without it exploding maybe not next time....

Re: A view of the aftermath April 25, 2012 01:04AM
Best looking binder I ever saw! Put er in the recyclin bin where it should have been in the first place!!!!!

Re: A view of the aftermath April 25, 2012 03:26AM
who is building pumps in your area!! Always go to the best COLUMBUS DIESEL SUPPLY!!!!! And your sticky pumps wont happen anymore. Unless you dont have the correct fuel pressure to supply the pump and no pump shop it at falt for a hammer mec a neck.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 25, 2012 08:42AM
That post is at least as ignorant as the one above that said red tractors are more susceptible to a hang than green ones. Fact is, it can happen for different reasons and it can happen to any color tractor with anyone's pump. This is why the importance of adequate and proper safety equipment can't be overstated.

Re: A view of the aftermath April 25, 2012 03:06PM
What color is this one??????? This happened at the 2004 National Farm Machiney Show...

Re: A view of the aftermath April 30, 2012 09:57AM
This is whats gonna happen to that southern indiana tractor that never seems to have his rpm sensor working. just a matter of time.

Re: A view of the aftermath May 01, 2012 02:20AM
you are 100 percent right barno!!! couldnt agree with you more!! maybe he will think twice when it comes apart and hurts or worse yet, kills someone.. then he mite lose the whole farm in a lawsuit.. but i still doubt he would learn his lesson.. got a coiuple blue tractors still running cast parts in indiana and they are pushing over 500 horse through a flywheel that was designed for 100 horse.. now that is a scary thought!!!

Re: A view of the aftermath May 01, 2012 11:38AM
I know of a county fair pull that mite happen at if it has been ran like it has in past years. Worst part is its a great track, well attended and well organized. Guess you can pull the same tractor ten times and put on a show.

Re: A view of the aftermath May 10, 2012 02:06PM
i cannot think of any blue tractors that run that good, who would be afraid of, i hear there is a deere that is really going to run good this season,hear it is a 4240/4455 or what ever

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,669, Posts: 229,758, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,075, Posts: 225,934.

Our newest member JD_8520