John Deere 4010 transmission May 16, 2012 07:11AM
I was courious if there is anything I could do to strenghten up a 4010 tranny? Does someone make a steel bearing pillow for the top shaft or is there anything else I could do besides going to a complete 3 speed. Thanks

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 16, 2012 07:35AM
What kind of HP are you running?

Engine ci & set-up?

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 16, 2012 07:38AM
Running 466, 2.75 turbo, 3000 rpm. No clue on hp

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 16, 2012 08:00AM
Depending on your track soil types and conditions, you may get away with a steel bearing support for the top shaft (getting rid of cast is good!). A set of straight cut gears would be an additional help. After that, syncros and top shaft are going to be weak links. Hard to say how far away you are from that, it's always a guessing game. Some people have been able to get away with more than others.

Unfortunately, you can see why the right solution is to go to a three speed right away, even though it is pricey. If you try to cheat it and continue to build HP, you will end up spending more than the original three speed price in the first place, been there, seen that (seen one ruin the trans case over this). Not trying to hit you with negativity, just laying out some facts to try and save you $$ in the long run (and ALOT of frustration).

..............if you choose to go with just a steel bearing support upgrade, any decent maching shop should be able to whip one up if they have the original to go by for dimensions.

If you are planning on keeping this tractor and moving up, start thinking three speed sooner than later.

I'm sure there are others on here who will give you their $.02, perhaps from past experience as well.

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 16, 2012 01:32PM
Thanks for the info, I am wanting to do what I can to the stock tranny to get us by this year then go to the three speed next. If it breaks then we know what's next. I am not real sure what ratio I even need yet. Does anyone have the Steel bearing support that you talk about? I would love to find one sitting on a self so I can get things put together. Thanks all for the help

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 17, 2012 09:57AM
I agree that a three speed is the way to go but If you want something cheep, I have a 2 speed that we just took out of a 4010.It only has 5th and 8th gear. It was being ran in an open rpm tractor with a 531 ci. motor and a 2.7 x 3" charger. 330 537 4203 jimpol@embarqmail.com

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 18, 2012 03:01AM
Not real sure 8 th will work, but what did you use for the top shaft bearing support? Did you have a steel one ? If you did would you be willing to sell that? Thanks

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 19, 2012 03:04PM
This 2 speed did not have the stock 8th and 5th gear. It has a 31 driving a 31 in 5th and a 32 driving a 30 in 8th. It has a steel top shaft bearing support. I have a guy that says he wants this 2 speed but if he doesn't take it, I can sell just the bearing support. I actually made 5 of the steel bearing supports today for the 5 new 3 speed tranmissions that I just made they are all spoken for. I could make you one but it won't be for another couple weeks before I can get to it.

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 23, 2012 06:08AM
I was curious if you got your two speed sold? If not do you have the bearing support for sale. Thanks

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 23, 2012 01:34PM
I have not sold it yet. I had a guy that wanted it but I havn't heard from him. I was supposed to send him some pictures but I have not had time to do so. I have been working crazy hours trying to finish up the 5 3 speeds that I made. Let me send him some pictures and then if he don't want it. I can sell it to you.

Re: John Deere 4010 transmission May 23, 2012 02:05PM
J&R.. Thanks for the call tonight... Can't wait to see the trans... No hurry... but will be excited to see it.. (1 of the 5)
Bryan

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,699, Posts: 229,799, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard