JD wet clutch??? December 12, 2012 11:59AM
Have recieved different opinions that if I removed the hyd pump off the front of my JD 4430 that I would lose my clutch. Is this true or is the clutch run off the pump behind the tranny in the rear? I know I would need rack and pinion steering and have to put master cylinders on for brakes, but I would like to lose the hyd pump up front to shed some weight.

Thanks

Hopefully its understood what Im asking.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 12, 2012 12:26PM
You will not lose your clutch, does run off tranny pump. Put a small pump up front to run your brakes and steering.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 12, 2012 01:11PM
What kind of pump? A little 12v or what? Thanks for the info yanmar55

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 13, 2012 01:01AM
I have installed a 2940 mechanical brake valve and used a john deere 318 steering valve but make sure its a four port not five and than you do not need a auxilary pump to run the steering and brakes just plumb the lawn mower steering valve to the original feed off tranny housing to the frotn pump. It will steer hard in the pits becuase its low psi but it works great on the track.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 25, 2012 12:24AM
Hey barncat, i am just wondering why you use the 2940 valve and 318 valve. im trying to work on my steering and what if you still put a 12volt pump to help with the psi. just thinking. O and are you still using the orginal front end and steering motor Thanks

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 25, 2012 12:34AM
I want to put a single cylinder up front and trying to fine a cheap way

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 25, 2012 03:56PM
The 2940 brake valve becuase it is a manual valve so there is no pump required just keep the master cylinder full with its resivor, it is the same idea as the wilwood master cylinders you see but with a more oem look. Yes I used the original front end, my tractor is the early one with the 2 line design. The point of the 318 4 port steering valve is so you dont need any fancy priority or relief valves it will just allow oil to circulate when you not steering. It should not be a problem. We have a 6030 set up with a hyd cylinder and a 12 volt pump in the pits u kick the pump on when u need it tp build presure to steer and if your sitting just leave it off. just leave the pump on when pulling and it just circulates the oil through the steering valve when not steering becuase the 318 steering valve is a open center valve and I found it on ebay for like 120$.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 25, 2012 04:11PM
Sounds like you really know your stuff. Thanks for the info

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 26, 2012 05:47AM
One more ?. If I use the 318 steering valve and a hyd cylinder do I still need 2940 brake valve. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 26, 2012 03:20PM
I take that back. This will be the last ?. On your 6030 what 12volt pump did you use and what typ of cylinder. Thank you

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 28, 2012 05:42AM
I will have to look at the pump to be sure what it is. The reason for the 2940 brake valve was becuase it's a manual valve so it dose not require any oil from a pump where as the factory brake valve needs pressureized oil from the front hyd pump to operate properly. This made it so I only needed to supply oil for steering which is coming from the transmission pump at 270psi, same as clutch pressure. Also to manual brakes dont grab as quick and I think you have better feel for how much pressure you are appling it makes for more crontoled steering when the front tires are dancing. Just my opinion.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 28, 2012 07:59AM
Ok get what your saying now. But if i use 318 steering valve and a 12volt pump i should be good or not

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 30, 2012 02:19AM
How many clutch disks are you running? How much HP are you making? Ive heard alot of people running 180-200 psi for clutch pressure, 270 seems quite high. Whats the disadvantage to running that much pressure other than blowing the filter housing off? Are you running a quad range as well?

Re: JD wet clutch??? January 01, 2013 11:45PM
We played with pressure and adjustments. I have had a lot of trouble with the clutch slipping that is the only reason for the high pressure. I have broke bolts and even a filter cover. I ended up using a socket head bolt from fastenal becuase the tensile stength was greater on it then a grade eight bolt. My clutch is a five disck steel from rursch. I believe im at the end of its power limit. We have burned up the pto side a few times, it seems that the pto side grabs befor the traction side. we have tired a few different things with it, when it hold we endup hurting the stock transmision.

Re: JD wet clutch??? January 02, 2013 10:37AM
You must be making pretty good power. What are the rules where you are at and what class do you pull in? What have you done to your quad range to strengthen it?

Re: JD wet clutch??? January 02, 2013 02:10PM
I've got a 4440 quad in a 4430 but the quad is all stock other wise our rules are 3000rpm, 2.5 inlet on the turbo, p-pump and we are allowed one water nozzle in the crossover. The tractor pulls roadgear on clay never had any quad trouble, just clutch and tranny wont hold.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 28, 2012 09:52AM
I took the HP hydraulic pump off the front of my 1976-2640. Yeah it steers like a bear when you are sitting still but once you are moving it isn't that bad. I was running the stock JD pressure plate so it would turn the LP pump in the rear end for lubrication. Took the 2 LP lines that used ot go up to the front pump and looped one back into the other. Does make the job of splitting the tractor a lot easier/cleaner.

I have a custom made 11" steel flywheel and am running a crower double disc set-up with crower floater. I wanted to retain the stock pressure plate to keep the rear end from locking up due to lack of lubrication but the stock pressure plate just will not hold the horsepower my engine is making even though it's only a 4 cylinder. I have pretty much decided that my only option if I am ever going to get this thing to hook up is a Crower pedal pressure plate to go with the double disc set-up. The problem with the Crower set-up is I loose the drive hub for the LP pump in the rear end. I have been told that all I need to do is raise the oil level in the rear end up to where the ring gear catches it and let it "Splash" lube. I really don't want to find out the hard way that this doesn't work. Anyone out there ever try this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: JD wet clutch??? December 30, 2012 03:59PM
I am running a 5 disk wet clutch and making about 600 hp and no slipage problems and also have a quad range, my clutch pressure is about 190 psi and i dont see any reason to run anymore. I also use a brake valve off of a 2940 and it works great.

Re: JD wet clutch??? January 01, 2013 07:04AM
Do you run a pump to your brake valve and are you running a steel clutch,where did you get it.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,780, Posts: 229,958, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,041.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009