JD CRANK HELP February 10, 2009 08:43AM
What cranks can I put in a JD404 block for more stroke? Any info. is appreciated.

Re: JD CRANK HELP February 11, 2009 02:44AM
I don't think any other factory crank will fit. 404 & 466 are the same stroke & I don't think the new metric engine cranks will drop in. I don't know about the metric cranks for certain though.

Re: JD CRANK HELP February 12, 2009 01:23PM
THANK YOU !!! for the info. I wasn't aware of the 466 having the same stroke. How much bore can be ran and keep water in the block?

Re: JD CRANK HELP February 12, 2009 01:40PM
You can bore a 404 block so that it will accept 4 3/4 darton sleeves. I have done it. You might be able to go a little bigger but things are getting pretty thin at this point.

Re: JD CRANK HELP February 12, 2009 01:50PM
How did you have your block bored? Was the block just straight bored and a groove cut in the sleeve? I've heard of people doing it this way, then using permatex in the groove to keep it from leaking, isn't this a cheap fix for such an expensive objective?

Re: JD CRANK HELP February 12, 2009 01:58PM
I bore these blocks myself and I bore the bottom of the block straight about .001" smaller than the sleeve. When installing the sleeves, I put a little sealer around the bottom. The secret in my opinion is to have the press fit. If the sleeve is just a little loose in the bottom of the block, the slight movement during the running of the engine will cause the sealer to leak. I have never had one leak using this method.

Re: JD CRANK HELP February 13, 2009 04:43AM
Thanks a bunch!! That gives me an idea of the potential the 404 has for cubes, was looking for about 600 N/A on gas or alky;THANKS!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,737, Posts: 229,874, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,987.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM