Datalogger February 19, 2009 02:34AM
I know this has been asked on here before but I have never wrote down any of the answers. What is the best datalogger for the money . I would like it to read fuel pressure,rpm,ex temp,oil pressure,boost for sure maybe a few other add ons. I am looking for one that I can add on to later as well. What is the average cost and what has worked well for you?

Thanks

Winking

Re: Datalogger February 19, 2009 02:48AM
Call Dennis with datalog 608-643-0200, there system works really good and anytime we have had any trouble Dennis and Rodney have bent over backwards to help us out.

Re: Datalog February 19, 2009 06:43AM
I’ve setup a Computech and a few Autometer systems and I‘ve got a fair amount of time using both systems. Of the two I really preferred the Computech. It was easier to setup, easier to download, just easier in general.

However...if I was buying a system today I would probably take a very, very serious look at the Datalog Peak Performance system. I sat down with system designer Rodney Kern at Gordyville and got a quick tutorial. The system is extremely straight forward and easy to use and it’s packed with all the features you’d need. It was also very easy to customize the look and feel of the software as you become a more advanced user. Rodney has done a great job making the setup as easy as possible so if it’s you first system you can figure it out without too much hair pulling. Rodney’s done a great job keeping the user interface simple without oversimplifiy the system or excluding features.

Rodney and his wife Carla are also some of the nicest people you’ll meet, and although I’ve never called customer support with the other systems I’ve setup, knowing Rodney, if you ever needed any help with the system or setup, the customer support would be second to none. Best of all, he’s a fan of pulling and he built the system specifically for tractor pulling.

Sorry to sound like a commercial for Datalog, but if you get to know the Kern’s you’d definitely want to take a very serious look at dealing with them, they're just good people.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 06:44AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Datalogger February 19, 2009 09:30AM
Definitely go with the Datalog system, you'll never be sorry, and you can not beat their customer service!!!!

Re: Datalogger February 19, 2009 02:58AM
We use RPM Perfomance www.rpmperf.com talk to Randy if you call. I think it offers a lot for the money. We record 6 EGT's, 2 boost pressures, fuel pressure, water injection pressure, and RPM's. I know we can add one more pressure if we want to. Software is easy to use, they are very knowledgable and give great support. We can save 4 runs at a time, will manually engage or off of rpm trigger. I think for it all was under 2000.
We have had some software issues but all fixed and have never missed a recording.

I have downloaded and used Autometer and Datalog on other tractors, they are very good as well probably have more options and great support as well. They will be a little higher in price but worth it as they are great products too. These two products will probably be easier to upgrade further without changing boxes but not 100% sure on that.

Good luck and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 just depends what you want to spend.

Re: Datalogger February 19, 2009 09:46AM
... There is systems that start for less than 400 bucks and will give you 4 EGTs - and there is stuff like we run that costs 4000 + and will even tell you how much fuel you inject in every individual cylinder and combined with the right sensor, lays out the internal cylinder pressure in a cycle in a nice graph....

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Datalogger February 19, 2009 09:51AM
What is a inexpensive logger with a couple egt's that will hold memory?

Re: Datalogger - link fixed February 19, 2009 10:46AM
this one:

[www1.conrad.de]

Comes with two K-Type sensors (you need to buy two more - they are like 30 bucks), can do 4 channels.
It's like 260 US$ , has memory, will show the max EGT on display but also can be read out with a PC. It's not the fastest though - but great for the money, as it gives you an idea where you are at.
Not compareable to a professional system though.

I have yet to find it on sale in the USA though....

Top of the line to my knowledge (and what we are using on 4 engines now) is:
[www.micksperformance.com]
It not only records and puts out nice graphs - but uses that data to control the fuel of the engine.

Racepack tried to sell us their system. Gave them some screen shots of our records. They quickly gave up then ...

I have data logging graphs of that thing somewhere. Will check and post here

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 02:47PM by Sascha.

Re: Datalogger (broken picture fixed) February 19, 2009 11:10AM
[picasaweb.google.de]

This is a random screen shot from the second run we did with that EFI system...
You see the egts, orange line is fuel in lbs/h (divided by 1.3 gives HP) , red line is boost, purple is fuel pressure, blue is battery voltage (still running a 12V back then), ...
Well the colors on top equal the color of the graph lines. That is just one third of the read outs. By switching "Display select" I can see others...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 02:40PM by Sascha.

Re: Datalogger February 20, 2009 12:26PM
Brianfuhr,

This is what i use. it can record and hold 3 EGT's and you can't beat the price!

[www.omega.com]

Re: Datalogger February 20, 2009 02:36PM
looks like it comes from the same chinese assambly line as the one I've shown above. Just that it has less channels...

Just beware they don't take many records per second. They'll get you a pretty good idea of what you are doing EGT wise - but don't expect them to do (measure) wonders.
Still - they are money well spend if you don't plan on spending over a 1000 bucks.

4 channel version February 20, 2009 02:55PM
[www.conrad-international.com]

same as the one from elderly deere.. but 4 channels
Just figured the K- Type sensors that come with it won't work. You need a different temperature range. Anyhow.. those are not expensive and every better electronic store has them.
Also note you do NOT want the very flimpsy tips (break) and neither the really heavy tips (take too much time to heat up)

Re: 4 channel version February 20, 2009 03:44PM
Sascha,
Will those only give you min, max and average temps?

If you hook them to a computer can you data log with them? Software? If I could save the raw data.. temp/voltage and time, it could be droped in to excel, and graphed easily...
Bryan

Re: 4 channel version February 20, 2009 11:27PM
Hi!

If I remember correctly, you have to / can run the data through exel and get graphs that way.
guys here usually check for the max temperature on the screen when adjusting for a Pull Off and the like

Re: Datalogger February 21, 2009 08:27AM
Datalogger? do the Allisons need to kick it up a notch?

Re: Datalogger February 21, 2009 10:51AM
check your plugs... with hilborn injection set right you can better spend the money into the engine than in the datalogger. The first ones we had just told us reading plugs is accurate enough to make them things run. Now with the computer operating the amount of fuel it's a different ballgame though - and offers more possibilitis.
BTW.. have several ratehr new injections lying here for sale... 2000 US$ without fuel pump.

Re: Datalogger February 22, 2009 06:49AM
Thanks for all the responses. I am favoring the RPM Datalogger. I like what I heard after talking to them

.All of them look like good setups.

I just need to find some cash lying around.

What you have to do to beat these fords

Right Jim!!Winking

Re: Datalogger February 19, 2009 11:42AM
I have used a RPM for the past 3 years. 6 egt, 5 pressures, tach, for less than $1900 [3 years ago] works great and no problems . I'm sure the dataloggers listed by other pullers are good products to.

Re: Datalogger February 19, 2009 12:23PM
give racepak a look its heads above the rest we have used.kraig

Re: Datalogger February 20, 2009 10:25AM
Racepak,
Cheapest would be the G2X which has 12 channels, next one would be the IQ3 dashlogger with 32 channels.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520