Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 01:40AM
The thread below is getting a little long...

Here’s my revised rules for a Lightweight Pro Stock class. I tried to incorporate most of the ideas that people suggested. I think this class would be a blast to watch, and I think it would be a very interesting class to build a tractor for. Again, this is not a cheap class (see Light Super Farm below for a limited alternative), but I think it would very quickly become a fan favorite.

Lightweight Pro Stock Division:
  • 510 CID (just make it 510 and get rid of the idiotic 505 with 1% over rule)
  • Any charger
  • Any pump
  • Any manifolds
  • Stock manufacturer blocks (no aftermarket or OEM replacements)
  • Billet cylinder heads limited to:
    • Two (2) valves per cylinder
    • Push rods only (no OHC)
  • Stock cylinder heads limited to:
    • Stock number of valves per cylinder (3, 4, 5 etc… valve heads legal)
    • Overhead cam heads legal
  • Inner coolers allowed
  • De-cubing of larger engines is allowed
  • Component chassis allowed
  • Stock Chassis
    • Removing transmission housing allowed only if equipped with full length frame rails that bolt directly to the rear-end housing.
    • If transmission housing is removed, rear of engine cannot exceed 60” from centerline of rear-end (even if manufactured further forward).
    • If stock transmission housing is used engine must remain in stock location.
    • If stock transmission housing is tie bars must be in-place and able to support the tractor.
  • 7000 lbs-8000 lbs.
  • 24.5 tires
I know this class would still be predominately Red and Green in the short term, but I think every brand would have a great shot at being able to be competitive. Old tractors and new tractors would easily be able to compete side by side on a level playing field. I think in ten years this would be the premier diesel tractor class. It would also be a very logical stepping stone to build a LSS tractor, or just jump in with the LSS and test the waters. With the exception of the cylinder heads, it's almost identical to the extremely popular European Pro Stock class.

Lightweight Super Farm Division:
Here’s are my proposed rules for those that want a little tamer class at a reasonable cubic inch limit. I call the class Light Super Farm, but there are some minor changes from the Super Farm class.
  • 510 CID (just make it 510 and get rid of the idiotic 505 with 1% over rule)
  • Turbocharger
    • Any charger (see below)
      • Intake must be equipped with a 12” long, 3.000” ID (max) smooth bore cylindrical restrictor tube with no air inlet after the tube.
      • Exhaust must be equipped with a 12” long 4.000” ID (max) smooth bore cylindrical restrictor tube with no air outlet before the tube.
      OR
    • 3”x4” smooth bore charger. Slugs must be welded in place. Wheel must protrude 1/8” into 3” and 4” openings.
  • P pump
  • Any manifolds
  • Stock manufacturer blocks (no aftermarket or OEM replacements)
  • Stock cylinder heads limited to two (2) valves per cylinder (three (3) and four (4) valve heads can be machined to accept two valves).
  • No OHC heads
  • No inner coolers
  • De-cubing of larger engines is allowed
  • Stock Chassis (no component chassis allowed)
    • Removing transmission housing allowed only if equipped with full length frame rails that bolt directly to the rear-end housing.
    • If transmission housing is removed, rear of engine cannot exceed 60” from centerline of rear-end (even if manufactured further forward).
    • If stock transmission housing is used engine must remain in stock location.
    • If stock transmission housing is tie bars must be in-place and able to support the tractor.
  • 7500 lbs-8000 lbs.
  • 24.5 tires
The first change from Super Farm is the turbo, I think there should be two options… honestly I really like the idea of the restrictor tubes that the NTPA proposed last year, it seems to be a solution that's both: logical and easy to police. With restrictor tubes it ends the argument about slots/MWE/Map groove vs. smooth bore vs. sealed turbos. It’s really a very simple and very easy solution. Simply police the tubes before and after the turbo and be done with it. If however, you have a small hood with space constraints, or since there are so many classes already running a 3” non-slotted covers, you can also run a smooth bore 3”x4” charger. With two options it will give pullers plenty of choices and both choices are limited by the same airflow constraints. A puller can try to run a 3x4 slotted or a 3.6 or even a 4.1 charger (all with restrictor tubes), but it’s still going to be limited by the same airflow constraints.

An additional change from the current Super Farm class is the manifolds. I think allowing pullers and builders some creativity will make for some interesting options. Sure you can run a marine manifold of a bulldozer manifold, but you can also build a manifold in whatever design you'd like.

Last but not least in the Light Super Farm is the chassis change. I think it’s important to find a way to keep new tractors coming into the class. I think allowing competitors to remove the transmission and clutch housings, while still running a stock rear-end would be a great compromise to help create a starter class that still keeps more of the tractor in the class, while also allowing new tractors a chance to make weight.

I really think these two classes would cater to just about every brand of tractor. Both classes would fill a much needed niche in the sport, and both classes would quickly be fan favorites. I'd love to see both these classes adopted at some point. I’m sure I missed something in my ideas, please feel free to add or make suggestions.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 03:24AM
jake, as a hot stock puller in the northeast these two classes excite me especcially the lsf. i feel i could build a competetive tractor and not break the bank doing it. if nytpa or empire picked up either class it would explode w/ tractors in the first year.thanks dave

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 04:17AM
Jake, here in the midwest, I think one would see a lot of the local Hot Farm tractors make a few alterations & jump up into the light SuperFarm class. That one I think would take off like wildfire!

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 03:56AM
Jake I d like both classes I just don't liek the over head cam on the Lt. PS class, which class do you think will start first and which one will have more tractors in 5 years.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 04:11AM
Hi!

While I not like the billet head idea (the 4 valves get decubing here) - I guess that is up to you folks to figure it out.
What I would think would help to get it started, is to start it as one class under the rules of the "open" and by the time you have enough tractors, you can still split it on the higher levels.
Running a stock head with an under 4 inch charger (a typical HX80) with a 13mm P is not breaking the bank, but running well enough to put on a show together with the top guys.
Important is to get it started first and make it grow. Then you can think about the "entry level"...

Here is a little video of the dutch B-league which has a lot of tractors with P-Pumps, with less than 500 cui and "not so expensive" Turbos. That white 66 Inter and the red Magnum have Sigmas...

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 04:13AM by Sascha.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 12:39PM
A class like in the vidio would never work here it was over half Ford/NewHolland

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 04:21AM
Just curious… why don't you like the overhead cam on stock heads in Light Pro Stock? If it comes from the factory that way shouldn't you be able to run your stock head?

I think the Light Super Farm would grow extremely quickly; there are already a ton of tractors that are close to these limits. ORVTPA and Missouri are already running something similar. I think the rules I came up with would allow all those tractors to pull in a Light Super Farm class tomorrow.

The Light Pro Stock would take more time just because it’s a more expensive class. In 5-10 years the Light Pro would just be awesome to watch. As they say, good things come to those who wait.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 04:52AM
All you need for this to happen ( 510 cid pro's) is 8 or 10 people to spend $ 50,000- $100,000 k each (preferably in the same sancitioning body) then have a sanctioning body to pick up the class, and a half dozen promotors agree to run a class with only 8-10 tractors existing in the country,

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 07:52AM
----De-cubing of larger engines is allowed----

Not Good idea, for more coller on the track,,, take the biggest possible engine, de-cubing th engine ( less stroke and big bore)
you make manny rpm,,, and big valve's,,,, not fair,, i think.
Take 510 Max Stock engines,,, al the coller have them,,, and make them compitatif,,, IH, Cummins,John Deere, Agco, Cat, Deutz, Sisu-diesel
Valtra , Perkins V8,, Zetor, Ursus, Newholland,,,, and manny more,,,

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 11:07AM
Who do you think might be the first to adopt such rules? Would it be NTPA, PPL, ....or will it take a new organization to start these type rules? Or would it start at the state, regional level.
Jake, you are very close on your rules, these would be two great classes. Notice the common theme ;510ci.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 11:48AM
No good comes from a class that start with limited or light. What is so wrong with the way the rules are now? Why do people that don't pull feel the need to dictate how people that do pull spend their money. Lets make every class light enough that you can put it on a care hauler behind your mini van.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 11:54PM
First, ALL classes are limited! Even the Unlimited Mod and Unlimited Super Stock are limited classes. Don’t let their names fool you.

Second, a 510 cubic inch class would allow for all colors to be competitive, and not cater to just a couple of manufacturers. How many Ford Pro Stocks do you see? Not too many! Why...? How many Ford tractors do you see in the “Light or Limited” classes? TOO MANY! (Just kidding Ford guys!) If you truly don’t understand why limiting the cubic inches is good for color I’d suggest you go to Cloverdale, IN for the 2009 Hoosier Invitational (look for a flyer on the main page later today). If you can’t see it after watching some of the limited classes at that event you’ll never get it.

Third, a light class can put on a great show. They can be right on the edge of not having enough front end weight. In a light class balance is much more difficult to attain because you have less movable weight to work with. Therefore the lighter the tractor the less room there is for error on setup. Light classes are classes the showcase setup and driving.

It has absolutely nothing to do with hauling your tractor to the event!

"Why do people that don't pull feel the need to dictate how people that do pull spend their money"
People that don't pull tractors are called FANS! It continues to amaze me that some pullers don't care what fans want. The fans opinion means nothing to them. Of course they love it when they have fans and people are saying nice thing about their tractor, but when fans don’t like something the puller is outraged. Fans, not only have a right to have a voice, but need a voice. With that attitude it’s no surprise that pulling doesn’t have many fans!

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 25, 2009 03:26PM
Both of these classes would strengthen an organization... and I'd love to see the NTPA offer them.

In the Lt. Pro class, do you think there's any risk in a big cube motor (decubed) having an unfair advantage? Or does the "stock manufactures' block" rule eliminate that concern?

With the Lt. SF class the Restrictor Tube seems like a simple and cost effective way to regulate the turbo. Is there a specific reason why you think the length of the tube should be 12''? The NTPA used a 3" (maybe it was 4"?) tube with their original version of the Limited Pro class.

With a specific size "smooth bore" turbo spec do you think something bigger than a 3x4 would be even better? No doubt, a 3x4 spec would work well... but a 3.6 spec may add value without creating an additional cost and reliability burden.?

The Lt. Super Farm name seems logical (because the rules you're proposing are very similiar to SF). Though, calling the class Lt. Limited Pro would work too.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 26, 2009 04:05AM
I really like both classes, but I,m not sure if the Lite Super Farm class is a good idea about using the stock rearend and stuff. I think that there mite be to much grinding to get the weight down and it will be a safety isue. Full rails should be mandatery for the class if you go to low on the wieght and still try and use the stock parts.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 26, 2009 04:21AM
I understand your concern, but AC, JD, IH, Ford/NH all easily made the 7500 lb. Super Stock. Most had four turbos and still had plenty of movable weight. Yes some aluminum parts will need to be used to lighten the tractor up, but that’s been happening in this sport for years and years. Sure there may be a little cutting and grinding, but that’s also part of taking a stock chassis and using it for pulling.

I’ve actually seen all those chassis lightened up and run in a 5500lb Super Stock class. That’s when the grinding really gets done. I don’t think 7500 lbs.-8000 lbs. would necessitate too much grinding on most castings.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 26, 2009 07:52AM
How man classes can the sport support?

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 26, 2009 11:00AM
Another idea for a new national class would be to use the east coast limited pro rules. They seem to work well and it is a great class. Besides the rules are established and their are already a bunch of tractors.
540ci
OEM head
A-pump
Any charger
8500 lbs.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 27, 2009 03:19PM
I would really be in on building a light limited super farm as I'm already building a 505ci motor for my hot farm for next season.

Re: Light PS and Light SF February 28, 2009 01:27AM
Jake, they both sound like a good idea. Sounds like some dont want any more color cause they might get beat.

- BREAK - February 28, 2009 07:46AM
Looks like there is enough interest to try to get it started.

Time to start being creative and laying out a plan on how to get this to actually WORK.
Bullshitting and Talking on the forum is one thing (and the most easy one).
Getting the stuff on the track is 98% of the job that would need to get done.

Suggestion:

Who already has a tractor with:
less than 510 cui that can spin more than a 3 inch charger
ways 8000 lbs or less
has certified rollcage, blanket, clutch, ....

If more than 10 have it - Get together and try to sell that package to Gordyville.
Forget about how you'd place and what might be fair for the first two years - just try to put on a good show TOGETHER and see how the fans react (promotors will be watching, too).

Maybe even do it together with the East Coast guys who run the A pump with 540 cui. I remember back when Forresters came here to watch like 4 or 5 years ago, the diffrences in gear ratio between those two was marginal.
The open pump / open turbo guys will pass the A pump guys in a short while - but for a start you could join forces.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2009 07:47AM by Sascha.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520