wisner 2wd fire August 17, 2013 03:41PM
Any word on how that guy is doing who was burned badly?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 17, 2013 04:27PM
Who was it?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 01:36PM
Anyone know what happened?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 01:41PM
It looked like a fuel line broke, it caught fire and came unhooked for the sled and it didn't kill the motor.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 02:06PM
See if this link works..

[www.facebook.com]

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 02:17PM
Wow! Hope everything turns out ok. That's weird that it wouldn't shut off.
Bet every kill switch is checked at the next outlaw event.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 02:22PM
From what I heard all the safety equipment was in place but since the entire draw bar and weight bracket broke off of the rear of the truck it also took the safety switch with it not allowing the ignition to ground out and kill the engine.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 03:38PM
Shows ya what I know... I figured a kill switch would be wired to the hot wire so when it was pulled or pulled off, it would loose power.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 03:43PM
Mags die off of ground because a mag does not require volts to make fire.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 03:51PM
I was there also. They picked the whole drawbar up off the ground, still hooked to the sled. This could have been a much worse accident if it would have headed toward the crowd at full throttle. This happened with multiple failures. First his clutch was sparking wildly off the line. Something broke in the engine causing it to drop hard. This broke the drawbar taking the kill switch with it. The fuel line then broke causing the fire. The truck was still running as it was in flames causing the reaction of the safety crew to be delayed knowing where the thing was going. Not sure what could have stopped this but a well designed drawbar. Are the drawbars not certified by someone?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 05:16PM
Hello, I happened upon your forum while google searching for parts. It was Matt with Blue Max in the fire. Being I was at the pull, I was on the edge of the track, I'm from Snyder and have known Matt my whole life as well as helped him out at and with his pulling, and after the fire I got in on the initial inspection and stood responsible for his truck until Outlaw took possession, I thought I'd let you in on the truthful whole story.

The clutch did spark as he slipped it out for takeoff. When the RPM's rose, it blew the rear of the left head gasket out and started blowing alcohol-contaminated oil all over the interior of the vehicle. The engine itself did not break internally. The upper response about the MAG ignition was correct. The ground wire which would have killed the motor and the only way for the kill switch to kill the motor was grounded to the cross member between framerails that the drawbar and hitch were attached to. The reason for the surge that broke the cross member off was that the running engine was serving as a flame thrower out the back of the head, and he probably tried to suck the fire into the engine initially, since that can frequently put out a fire using the vacuum, but the fire killed the hydraulic body lift and he escaped by kicking the steering column until he broke the seat right off the chassis and was able to roll horizontally under the body, and likely kicked the hand throttle since its between the framerails right in that area.

It was also true that this accident could have been much worse as when it broke away from the sled in was headed right for the area everyone sits on the ground after the end of the grandstand. Thank god Matt had sense enough to throw it in neutral before he tried to get out.

The last update I got was he had 3rd degree burns on about 60% of his body. He didn't inhale the burning oil and his lungs are good, but the severity of the burns being what it is, they said if he gets through the surgery without getting sick from shock, infection, etc... he should pull through. However, if he falls ill he won't survive it.

On a more personal note, there are a lot of @#$%& in the pulling world and Matt was not one of them. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever known, he'd give you the shirt off his back if you needed it, and he always wanted to be friends and talk with everybody. I hope he gets out of this, and watching him burn alive and roll out from under that truck made me sick, upset, and furious all at once. I'll never forget it and I hope to god he gets past this.

The fatality someone asked about... the guy responsible who was driving the atv in the accident was also named Kreikemeier, but it wasn't Matt.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes and concern.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 01:50AM
Thanks for the clarification. The entire pulling community is thinking of him and praying for a full recovery.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 02:57AM
Does anyone happen to know what hospital he was taken to?? We would like to send flowers, once he can have them. But I dont know where to call. Thanks

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 21, 2013 07:48AM
I am Matts sister in law. He is at St Elizabeth's Medical Center in Lincoln, NE in the burn ICU. Just wanted to let you know. Thanks for your kind words.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 01:54AM
Not trying to be a smart ass and really hoping the guy will make it...

But in our rules the kill switch for magnetos has to operate a relais - so when the relais looses power (the hot wire is fed through the actual switch in the back) it switches the coils to ground. I think we have this since the early 90s already, after a tractor broke in two pieces and it's front part with the engine stood in the middle of the track and it was still running ..
Just a little detail that could have prevented some serious trouble

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 02:04AM by Sascha.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 02:25AM
I also expect NTPA to have a rule on air operated kill switch, that the LACK of air will kill the engines, you should not need air to make the switches work! If there is a failure in the air system, it needs to kill the engine.
Similar to the electric solenoid Sascha is talking about.
Due to this situation, I see them both being adopted for 2014 season.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 02:53AM
Does outlaws require a fire bottle system on a lift body with no opening doors? If they don't this would also be another good rule to look at. Plus maybe add in a way that the bottles can be turned on from outside the cab. Kinda of reminds me of the Willy Makit truck a few years ago.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 07:28PM
We had an NTPA aprroved air kill switch on our mini rod. We rebuilt it to kill when the air pressure dropped, to make sure that the engine would die.
Just replaceed it with an electric system last winter with the relay - No current = Grounded ignition.
I would rather have our engine shut down once too many, than it still running during an accident.
All the best wishes to the driver of the TWD - May his accident at the very least serve as a lesson to the rest of us.

Best regards/
Martin

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 03:02AM
Sascha
Not trying to be a smart ass and really hoping the guy will make it...

But in our rules the kill switch for magnetos has to operate a relais - so when the relais looses power (the hot wire is fed through the actual switch in the back) it switches the coils to ground. I think we have this since the early 90s already, after a tractor broke in two pieces and it's front part with the engine stood in the middle of the track and it was still running ..
Just a little detail that could have prevented some serious trouble

I'm assuming you are talking about a Mallory/Cirello/Vertex type of magneto. Who is selling this relay?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 04:15AM
I am just a simple minded ag mechanic, but couldnt you just use any relay? Connect the ground wire for the mag to the normally closed contact (87) of the relay and a ground wire to the common terminal (30), then run a ground wire to one side of the coil (86) and run a hot wire from your ignition switch through a kill switch and then back to the other terminal for the coil on the relay (85)? Then if your kill gets pulled or you shut off the ignition switch, power to the relay is lost and the ground connection is made (engine dies)

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 05:17AM
Pullinfan4255
I am just a simple minded ag mechanic, but couldnt you just use any relay? Connect the ground wire for the mag to the normally closed contact (87) of the relay and a ground wire to the common terminal (30), then run a ground wire to one side of the coil (86) and run a hot wire from your ignition switch through a kill switch and then back to the other terminal for the coil on the relay (85)? Then if your kill gets pulled or you shut off the ignition switch, power to the relay is lost and the ground connection is made (engine dies)

The relay your referring too needs to handle the vibration and amperage

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 07:45AM
ok here is a setup from msd part # 8134, basically doing what I had said to do, just in a kit form
[www.msdpromag.com]

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 08:27AM
According to the Thunder by the River Facebook page,

"He's doing good. He got his breathing tube out yesterday and is breathing on his own now. Today he had his first surgery on his right arm and they said that went well as well"

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 06:34PM
We simply used standard Bosch car relais in a Bosch terminal from the Auto Store next corner, when we still ran Mallory.
[seekpart24.com]
With the MSD Pro mags it takes something a bit more serious (like linked above).

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 06:44PM by Sascha.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 02:31PM
how in the world did it come uhooked? (hooked in safety hitch?)

I hope the firesuit, fire sock, helmet did their job.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 12:06AM
The frame broke in half right behind the differential and took the hitch, wheelie bars and everything else with it and was still hooked to the sled. The truck had a fiberglass body and that is where the kill switch was mounted and that went with the truck and the kill switch got pulled. The problem was it is a grounded kill switch and the ground wire was attached to the part of the frame that stayed with the sled and once that ground wire got severed the kill switch could not kill the engine as it was not grounded anymore.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 12:44AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to Matt and his family. I may not follow the outlaws but this is a tragic situation in any form of pulling!! God bless and hope for a speedy recovery

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 26, 2013 10:25AM
According to the Thunder by the River website, both of his arms are grafted and he is on a breathing tube again to settle him after his surgery. That was yesterday.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 01:44PM

Hi,
We, too, are praying for you Matt.
I do have a question, though.
I know the overall elapsed time of the incident was not long, and the safety crew got there quickly, and adrenaline is pumping like crazy, but could the engine have been shut down quicker with a shot of extinguisher in the intake?
Or do you run the risk of doing internal damage that might cause a hole in the block or pan that would dump more oil on an already bad situation?
Definitely an incident that should make everyone review their safety rules/policies.
And once again, we are praying for you and for a full recovery.

Later .......

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 01:07AM
I was not there and I have not talked to him but I do know it was Matt Krekemeier with Blue Max and Blue Max2 from the Scribner - Snyder, NE are. On Facebook I was told he was stable but had a long road of recovery ahead of him. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 02:58AM
what happened?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 18, 2013 02:42PM
Praying for a full recovery, and strength for his family!
Question;
Why do I remember that name in relation to the tragic fatality @ Wisner a few years ago?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 19, 2013 09:26AM
Back in June, Matt contacted us to ask if he could make a test and tune hook at Hawarden. We did not have the Outlaw 2wd Modified class but he was trying out a new blower I believe and wanted to test things. We said it was ok and even after he showed up that night he again asked permission just to make sure. I don't know Matt but from what I saw he is a straight shooter and a good guy.

God Speed Matt! I wish you the best in your recovery.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 20, 2013 03:20AM
Best of luck to you an your Family Matt.Me to being a burn victim .It is going to be a long road to recovery .My thought an prayers are with you .

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 21, 2013 07:57AM
Thank you everyone in the pulling world for your thoughts of the mechanical failures of this accident to your kind words. He is stable right now and in the process of skin grafting. I have been an ER nurse for 25 years and when I walked into his ICU room, I was shocked. I cried for the rest of the day. But one thing I do know is that Matt is one tough SOB and if anyone can make it through this, it will be him. Carol (his wife) said someone told her that there was a free will donation on the second night of the pull in Wisner to help cover medical expenses. Does anyone know anything about this? They are at St Elizabeth's Medical Center in Lincoln, NE and the burn ICU. No visitors allowed because he is at such a high risk for infection. Again, thanks everyone and keep those prayers coming for Matt.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 22, 2013 03:05AM
Hoping that all goes well for Matt and his family.

Please excuse my ignorance regarding firesuits and I hope the question makes sense.

Why did the fire suit not protect him better. Was it because of the length of time he was in the fire, or is it that the suit only protects you for so long before the suit itself starts breaking down and no longer protects the person.

Again, not starting anything here, just asking a simple question.

Thanks!

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 22, 2013 04:27AM
Outlaws require enclosed 2wd trucks to have 3 layer suits, but they are not going to last more than 30 seconds at best.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 22, 2013 04:40AM
A few years ago when the Ohio State pullers ran at Eldora Speedway, one of the provisions was that they use the fire support personnel and equipment that is used at the race track. The firemen were at the end of the track sitting on the tailgate of a very well equipped brush truck complete with a full on fire suppression tank that filled the back of the truck, etc. Three guys with full fire gear sat in the hot weather, another two in the cab, and I believe they even left the truck running the whole event, being ever prepared for the worst, as they would during a race, and when someone had the slightest problem the truck quickly went to the tractor and those guys were ON IT.

I have heard since then people recall how much overkill that was, you know, when most pulls suffice with people dressed in street cloths, a fire extinguisher or a few buckets of water. Ya know, with this accident, as rare as it is, is still an eye opener. Maybe having a fully equipped brush fire truck ready to tackle the worst sitting track side wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Working on systems in the military for many years, we kinda lean towards the safety side of things.

I feel for this man though I don't know him. Got a long road ahead of him. God speed.

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 26, 2013 06:59AM
Any update on Matt's condition?

Re: wisner 2wd fire August 26, 2013 10:11AM
This was on Thunder by the River Facebook page yesterday.

"We received this update Thursday:

Back on the breathing tube after his surgeries to help him relax. No more surgeries for a few days so he can recover. I believe both of his arms are completely grafted now."

Hope all goes and Matt makes a full recovery.

Nick Paulson

Re: wisner 2wd fire September 24, 2013 11:34AM
Any new updates on Matt?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,673, Posts: 229,771, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,076, Posts: 225,944.

Our newest member Jason