ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 06, 2009 01:48PM
I would like to know what is best spit gear set for a ih a-pump 2.75 charger 470ci ih 3000rpm 1066? Right now i'm a new puller and im running all stock tranny and stock 13/51 ring and pinion. What's the best way to speed the tractor up, should i go with a faster ring/pinion like the 16/49 or should i go with a set of split gear something like a 3.5 and a 3.75 in the 1st and 2nd gear spot . Should i do both? Right now stock 3rd is way to slow and direct is close but i snuff the charger on the far end even with the ta in low. Any advice you guys could give would help a lot just don't what to waste the money on gears that are two fast. Should i needled the rearend too, will this free thing up and give me more hp or is it not worth doing? thanks again for any help.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 01:34AM
you should be able to run road gear with that setup. i had the same thing and i ran road gear and 1 tooth over road gear with 20.8 double cuts. What weight class do you pull and with what charger? The needled bearing rearend will help you out alot was wanting to do mine this winter.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 04:33AM
I was running a hx 50 2.68 charger. we just changed the charger rule to a 2.75 so what a charger was you running. my tractor has a motor built for 300rpms but a stock head. what ring/pinion did your tractor have.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 06:22AM
i have an excel built gt 42 2.75 inlet with a stock 1066 R&P

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 01:52PM
hey jdhpuller please post your phone number i'd like to talk to you about your turbo.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 08, 2009 01:25AM
641-895-7456

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 05:57AM
Do you know if your T/A is a stock replacement unit, or has it been changed over to a large input shaft T/A? I'd look at a 13/49 tooth ring & pinion from a 706, will help speed up the rear end, but it won't be such a large jump from the stock 13/51 R&P that the 1066 had. If the T/A is still a small shaft unit, fitting in a large shaft unit will allow you to change the Direct Drive constant mesh gears, which will also speed up your gears in the speed tranny.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 06:11AM
Matt ..................you CAN change the constant mesh speed no matter which (big or small) shaft you have. How do I know you ask?? I have one tranny with a big shaft and fast c/m gears AND have one with the small shaft also with fast C/M gears.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 06:26AM
True, you can, its all a matter of changing them back at the quill gear. Odds are, though, most wouldn't be changed if the T/A just had a stock replacement unit.

I need to get to doing the same thing, myself..........

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 02:07PM
Yes my TA is a small shaft hd duty super ailled TA stock replacement. Basicly from the bell housing back my tractor is a stock 1066 ticking time bomb because sooner or later running road gear in the 10500ib and 12500lb classes is going to tear something up. Its been really hard on the TA this year. So i know i need to go to the billet shaft pulling ta and it going to get that with the new gears and R&P or whatever i decide to do just don't want to built a tranny that is to slow or to fast. As you can see split gears are a new concept to me.

Hey kbacker If i just put in the 16/49 R&P will i be to fast with stock gear or to slow how much does that speed me up with a stock speed tranny . I have the same question for the 13/49 R&P

And while I'm asking what is the Tooth count on the R&P in a 1566 I know their the fastest but don't know the tooth count.

Thanks for the help so far guys keep it comin.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 02:20PM
Best recommendation I can give you is to go to Allied's website: www.allied-precision.com - and print off their gear ratio printout. They'll show on there every kind of splitter gear combination there is, plus overdrive combinations. Bear in mind, that if one were to upgrade to a large shaft T/A, and utilize constant mesh gears from an IH 2+2, that you will effectively speed up all your gears, but 4th. Speed up your R&P, and everything becomes faster yet. The 1566 R&P is the 16/49 tooth count, fastest one from IH.

You can do the math to figure your tire speed, if you take your RPM's, your selected gear in the speed tranny, your R&P ratio, the bull gear/bull pinion ratio, and your overall tire diameter. Its a lot of math, but it can be done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 02:39PM by Blackstack1206.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 02:30PM
MATT ................... You are wrong!!! If all you do is put the 2+2 constant mesh gears in YES you speed up the gears 1 thru 3 BUT 4th (direct) is STILL direct you get over drive gears by buying faster gears for 1-3 AND a faster C/M

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 02:37PM
Well Merry Christmas, I'm wrong on the 4th gear topic. Best edit, wouldn't want to mis-guide some poor fella, eh?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 02:48PM by Blackstack1206.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? August 13, 2021 04:31AM
I have a question for you guys. I’ve been told to use a 1566 R&P in my 706 rear end for my high speed. Im in the process of building a hot farm puller. Is it worth changing the gears and doing a foam filled rear end? Im pretty sure I have the small input shaft and I was gonna use the stock shifters which I’d like to know if that’d be an issue at all?

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? August 13, 2021 04:59AM
Depends what hot farm means in your area. Could be good advice and could be terrible advice

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 07, 2009 02:27PM
Plz call me I will help you out. 402/753-8652 Keith

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 09, 2009 04:22AM
Hey kbacker whats the best time to call you and how late is too late.

Re: ih gear / ring/pininon combo ? December 09, 2009 09:38AM
Well my cell is 402/750-8652 and pretty much anytime ...........if I didnt get it I will call you back Thanks Keith

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,717, Posts: 229,825, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,961.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro