how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 07:08AM
In theory... if it were possible to make two identical pulls.. one where your truck weighed 6000 pounds.. and one where your truck weighed 8000 pounds... which one would go the furtherest? I'm guessing the 8000 pounds but... after talking with a tractor guy the other day, he was telling me how he always pulled further when his tractor (super farm class) was about 1000 pounds under the weight limit... your thoughts please...

Re: how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 07:34AM
That's because super farm only has a 3x3 charger and they go under the charger so easy.. By losing the weight this allows the wheels to spin and stay on the charger. We ran a 640 pro farm with a 3 inch inlet turbo any size exhaust weighing 11000, at 3000 rpms and ran against 4.1 640 limited pro weighing 9500 and was only beat by 2 feet.

Re: how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 09:40AM
Our tractor pro-farm run about 20 feet farther at 10500 than at 9500 with same sled setting. . At 9500 lbs. it bounces a lot. As far as rpms we hold about 400 more revs more at lighter weight. . No at 11,000 lbs. we may gain some distance but seems to be laboring. not very scientific but just observations.

Re: how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 10:59AM
It is all going to depend on your tractor and the horsepower you are making. When was the last time you saw a pro stock move weight compared to llss.

Re: how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 11:04AM
Illinois puller 2 is in correct. it has nothing to do with turbo size it has everything to do with the gear they are trying to run. Lighter tractor, faster gear more distance.

Re: how much does weight help? October 16, 2013 01:14AM
I think its interesting that no one has pointed out that you need to have the setup for both weights optimized before you can compare anything. Figure out how what gear you need to be in your power band going down the track, how to set the tires, where to hang the weight and even how to set the clutch before you can get a fair comparison. I will always agree that getting the sled moving as fast as possible will have the biggest impact though.

Re: how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 03:29PM
im actually asking about the weight in a truck... I was just using the super farm as the only example I knew of..
so..if your 6k pound truck made a pass, you go back and add 2k more pounds.. and make a identical pull.. ( as far as all the conditions) which would go further?

Re: how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 08:17PM
It depends on how much if any extra HP you have at 6000. If you are running out of power at 6000 adding 2000 extra pounds will not help, if you are spinning out with ease than I think it will help. A lot has to do with speed so that makes the question hard to answer.

Re: how much does weight help? October 13, 2013 12:43PM
You can also drop your hitch if you don't have the HP for the gear you have to run.. Loosing weight is doing basically the same thing..

Re: how much does weight help? October 14, 2013 01:24AM
That 2000 pounds will make your truck go farther if you have the power for the gear if you take a 1000hp tractor in a 10MPH gear the 2000 pounds will make a big difference on distance you will go much farther. That setup is taking speed out of the mix.

Re: how much does weight help? October 14, 2013 06:51AM
If more weight didn't make a difference, there wouldn't be weight limits on the classes. Like said above, It's a fine line between too much gear/weight & not enough.

Re: how much does weight help? October 14, 2013 03:30AM
I have always gone farther with extra weight in my truck, but they never seem to set the sled the same twice in a row.... I agree that track conditions and gear selection play a big role, but I would pull heavier every time it is an option.

Re: how much does weight help? October 15, 2013 11:17AM
SLED MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE,A PROGRESSIVE SLED IS MUCH DIFFERENT FROM A DROP PAN SLED. If you can run the same gear heavy,in theory it should go more distance,maybe not if you have to shift down.Unless you have a complete custom unit like all the component tractors and high $ trucks,gear selection is way off to make gear changes in any stock type pulling unit,the "BIG GUYS",HAVE 2.5 PERCENT BETWEEN GEARS.Most trucks and tractors are stock in the mid 30's percent between gears.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520