Steel nose on jd cam November 09, 2021 08:27AM
Hello, who is installing steel noses in the jd camshafts anymore?

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 10, 2021 07:13AM
I believe all the new cams from Deere are steel. If you are wanting to have one ground I'd go that route.

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 10, 2021 11:17PM
So, beginning when? 7.6L? 8.1L?

How would a person know?

And what the heck do they mean by "put a steel nose" on the cam?

Isn't that just going to let it break somewhere else?

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 10, 2021 11:39PM
I believe Riverside will still do it, but with the bulk of the aftermarket cams for the 404 and 466 engines being steel blanks to start with it doesn’t make sense to go through the trouble of installing a steel nose. To install a steel nose you take and machine the end of the cam out to press fit in a steel blank, generally pin it with set screws and machine the end back to original dimensions.

The 7.6 and 8.1 cams are massive compared to the previous engines. The 7.6 cam nose is larger, but the 8.1 is huge in comparison.

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 11, 2021 01:39AM
Yes I was referring to the older 466/531/619.
I had been told by salvage yards that the old cam cores were in high demand because the new aftermarket cams were junk and had soft lobes, is this accurate?
It seemed like it was always common to have a steel nose put in a cam and straight cut timing gears when getting a regrind, at least some shops recommended it.

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 11, 2021 11:45AM
Vogel did one for me about 10 years ago,I'm sure he still does them.

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 11, 2021 01:59PM
The whole family at vogel has been sick Kevins back to work but chucks not been doing to good

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 14, 2021 01:31PM
Yea I was pretty sure he sent them elsewhere for the steel nose then did the grinding himself.

Re: Steel nose on jd cam November 14, 2021 11:53PM
Call phil at riverside engine he ll fix you up

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,805, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,959.

Our newest member CBeard