new build December 03, 2013 10:32AM
Hi guys I'm based in the UK and building my first pulling tractor. My tractor will be a claas tractor using the deere 6359 engine. The rules are under 401 ci 3000 rpm no limit on turbo or fuel system intercooler allowed. I intend using a holset hx 50 turbo that I've acquired. I've got choice of bosch a and p pumps the engine has a rotary roosamaster just now. Can I use the standard pencil Injectors with a bigger pump? What other mods would you guys suggest for a start? I want to try and get it right first time! Sorry for the long winded post!

Thanks jp 1

Re: new build December 04, 2013 11:19PM
Fit the p pump. Don't waste time with the pencil injectors either, if you want to get it right first time get you will be putting in too much fuel for them to handle. Where about in the uk are you based?

Re: new build December 05, 2013 12:47AM
Thanks for the reply. Im in north east scotland. I'm guessing people get the head machined to accept bigger injectors? or are there off the shelf 1s that would flow more fuel? Not many folk using this engine around here to ask! How much cc's of fuel should i be aiming for roughly?

Re: new build December 05, 2013 01:17AM
Are you able to use a 404 motor from a deere? I understand that it is 3 cubes to big when stock but it would give you some more options.

Re: new build December 05, 2013 02:09AM
There is a little John Deere with the 359cubic inch engine running in Scotland.

[www.stpc.org.uk]

Re: new build December 05, 2013 05:04AM
I did know about that tractor but thought it was running a bigger engine. I will be running in the other club in Scotland though. Is the 404 engine more tuneable? Not aware of any rules against decubing a bigger block would have to check. I already have the 359 here.

Re: new build December 05, 2013 07:47AM
The bigger issue will be the chassis that you are going to put the engine into... since the 359 and 404 have a different bolt pattern... If you can decube, you could also look at the 414 (6.8L) (this will have the same pattern as the 359...
I can't remember the application.. but I'm pretty sure there was an application for the 359 with the big bodied injectors... (I Know the 6.8L's used both styled injectors.. )

Re: new build December 05, 2013 05:41AM
you should check your local rules. alot of limited cube classes allow +/- 1%. so the 404 would able to run in that class. and yes the 404 is more tunable especially with more off the shelf parts available compared to the 359.

Re: new build December 05, 2013 07:44AM
Ok thanks for the info guys. I will see how I get on! Prob be back asking more questions soon!

Re: new build December 06, 2013 05:00PM
Check the late 3150 tractors.They had a turbocharged 359 engine and maybe the head had the injectors you're looking for.Now before the arguing starts,yes they had a 466 in them also,but that was the early tractors and they were naturally aspirated.

Re: new build December 06, 2013 05:31PM
3150? I think they all had the 359.. I know the 4050 had both the 359 and the 466...

Re: new build December 07, 2013 03:46AM
The engine I've got is the 359 turbo. It came from a jd 975 combine it still has the 9.5mm pencil injectors though. I didn't know that you could get these engines with big injectors. I Read somewhere that a guy had got a 359 head machined to take 17mm bosch injectors! Not sure if that would be cheaper than buying a complete head from a breaker
Though!

Re: new build December 07, 2013 05:50AM
Hi
I have a friend of mine here in Norway that have machined 2 heads for the 359 engine so he can fit the larger 404/466 injectors or the Columbus billet injectors. He has machined a hole in the head with threads inside. The hole is so big that you can see directly into the waterchannels Then he made steel bushings with the same threads outside to keep the water out and machined them on the inside to fit the injectors. Works really well and lets him choose the injector size he wants. He is running a 13 mm P pump on it now with 5x 0,022 in hole Columbus Billet Injectors, ca 700cc of fuel.

Re: new build December 07, 2013 06:49AM
JD7280R
Hi
I have a friend of mine here in Norway that have machined 2 heads for the 359 engine so he can fit the larger 404/466 injectors or the Columbus billet injectors. He has machined a hole in the head with threads inside. The hole is so big that you can see directly into the waterchannels Then he made steel bushings with the same threads outside to keep the water out and machined them on the inside to fit the injectors. Works really well and lets him choose the injector size he wants. He is running a 13 mm P pump on it now with 5x 0,022 in hole Columbus Billet Injectors, ca 700cc of fuel.

Thanks that's a great help! How does your friends tractor run with that set up?

Re: new build December 07, 2013 04:09AM
Was told by a reputable engine builder that the 6.8 are junk, "good for a rain gauge out back of shop", We have one complete 4500 hr came out running,$1700.00 come get it

Re: new build December 07, 2013 04:19PM
I Ike it better than the 329/359.. Bigger crank journals, taller deck.. Better options for injectors, better intake inlets.. I've personally never tried to make a puller out of one.. But had a friend or two that have run the 414/6.8L's.. All were limited rpms and had good luck with them..
That's a good price.. Wish I had a need for one right now..

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520