Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 16, 2013 05:49AM
I have read the different post. Has anyone regret going to the Hydraulic(Helm Pump)? I need to replace my rack &pinion steering and not sure which way to go. How hard is it to bleed the hydraulic set up? Thanks for your opinions

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 16, 2013 01:20PM
I have a helm pump steerinf, not totally happy, if doing it over, would put on 12v pump and and run power steering.....Question for anyone out there, can you put pressure to a helm pump and make it power steering? heard something about that somewhere, then it slows steering down when on the track if turn pump off.

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 16, 2013 02:22PM
Armstrong... What didn't you like? What class do you pull?

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 16, 2013 04:26PM
I got hammered on the other post for trying to help somebody. The helm pumps work too slow for some people. Takes too many turns lock to lock. Your junk yard setups won't work without a pump. Most people don't want a pulley driven pump' The setup I talked about will work with the pump on or off. It steers just like factory steering with the added benefit of no mechanical linkage like a rack. This very nice to install in tight spaces. It is just a matter of how nice an install you want and how you want it to work. Good luck and if you need any help, just ask. PS Still not afraid to sign my name.

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 17, 2013 01:46AM
Richard, I did read your post an I have considered that setup. But the issue I have is I don't have an alternator so I don't want to kill the battery. That's why I'm back to the rack and pinion or helm pump option.

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 17, 2013 03:44PM
I don't run an alternator either. I have 2 group 32 batteries 800 CCA. I normally charge them before every pull. Just for kicks I didn't charge them for 3 pulls and couldn't tell any difference. The pump doesn't use much power.

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 17, 2013 06:18AM
put a seastar power assist to it when you go to steer it kicks in buy them on ebay

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 17, 2013 08:15AM
What does that power assist do, do you plumb it into the other two ports on the back of the helm pump, wouldn't any 12v hyd pump work. them things are pretty expensive

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 17, 2013 12:14PM
yes it does . it runs on 12 volt and only runs when you turn the wheel

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 18, 2013 01:07AM
but would a 12v pump with its own tank work plumbed into the other two ports and put it on a switch and just use for around the pits?

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 18, 2013 03:06AM
wtw

could you tell us a little more on what parts you used?

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 18, 2013 09:38AM
I used a balanced steering cylinder (rod out each end). Determined the displacement of cylinder and matched a compact orbital motor with correct displacement that would give the desired steering ratio. Motor is the steering valve. Eight turns lock to lock, tractor turns easy and short. Mounted motor to steering shaft making a coupler and adaptor plate. Mounted cylinder to front axle using the four 3/8”bolt holes that were in cylinder. Steering cylinder being balanced and sealed does not require a reservoir. Return side of cylinder is the reservoir. Connected motor to cylinder with ¼” single braid hose and fittings. Trick is bleeding it. Takes about five minutes to bleed with required tools. I bled it in late June and have not touched it since. Went on and off the truck and down the track approx.. 20 plus times this last summer. The best part was the compact steering motor as it is smaller than a beer can and allowed me to put it in the original location and maintain full function of the telescope and tilt wheel features. Don’t need to take my steering wheel off to get out of cage just throw it up out of the way. DW

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 18, 2013 11:20AM
You said your tractor weighted 6700#. Would it work on a tractor weighting 9000#??

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 18, 2013 01:48PM
I am sure it would function the same but, would expect the steering effort to be greater with the extra weight. Even though it is hydraulic it is still manual!

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 16, 2013 01:55PM
I love the hydraulic helm pump and double cylinder setup. Tried a couple other attempts at hydraulic options and rack hard to turn, possibly a too fast of turning
ratio. helm pump has it's own reservoir in the pump, so it bleeds itself, when turning. all links are listed under rack and pinion heading on forum page.

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 18, 2013 02:26AM
Bear,
I built my own trapped oil hydraulic steering system for less than half of what the helms set up cost. The trick to making it work was bleeding it. Took me less than 5 minute to bleed after I figured out how I wanted to do it. Steering system works very well and steers easy. Ran full season never had any problems and never had to bleed it again. Only thing I found out about this set up is when I went to get my tractor out of cold storage to put in heated shop system was lazy in below freezing temperatures. Once in shop and warmed up it was right back to itself working like it did all summer. Components used to build this system are off the shelf parts and did not have to modify either cylinder or control valve. Steering valve/ unit is smaller than a 12 oz. beer can. I used 1/4” lines between cylinder and control unit. This system is on a 6700 # JD tractor with full functioning tilt and telescoping features.

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 20, 2013 10:43AM
So which is the best Helm pump set up to use? How is the best way to set it up?

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 21, 2013 05:51AM
Ross, what setup do you have on your super farm ?

Re: Rack & Pinion Vs Hydraulic Steering Opinion December 21, 2013 03:20PM
We have a rack n pinion. Works just fine and would not change it!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,631, Posts: 229,695, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520