Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 10, 2014 12:27PM
Writing my first "Legends" story debuting the Pro Stock.
What year did the NTPA debut the class?
Was it on all 3 levels - State, Region & National?
Story for the Feb. "the PULLER".
Need info ASAP.
Thanks for your help!

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 11, 2014 01:20AM
I've always heard it was 1980 when that class got going, and the Linders were a big part of making that class happen. I don't know where that comes from, whether I've heard announcers say it so much over the years or what. Whatever the reason, that name and year is stuck in my head for the start of the pro stock class as a sanctioned pulling class. The Linders would be a good place to start looking.

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 11, 2014 06:43AM
Get ahold of Don Masterson, Chris Little, Steve Roudebush, Bill Voreis, and Dennis Schnitker. These guys kinda got it going across the Midwest in the early to mid 80's.

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 11, 2014 02:54PM
Pro Stock started in Illinois in 1979. There were a number of pullers from both Indiana and Illinois that competed that year, lets see if I can remember all the names. Dennis and Earl Schnicker, Dale Rogier, Steve Miller, Dan Hoene, Kozuszek Bros.,Sonny Kixmiller, Rod Horst, Darius Harms, Don Masterson, several other Indiana Pullers their names escape me. This class was put together as an economical alternative to Super Stock back then. Don,t know when it started at the NTPA level. But I do remember pulling at Louisville NFMS 1980 with this class in the Saturday afternoon session, we lost the turbo at 160 ft.

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 11, 2014 03:30PM
As far as pro stocks out of ohio, in the 80's Campell's soupline express, Schmucker's rampage, the Linder brother's and Terry and Danny Gallagher's 6030's were the big name when it came to the green ones.

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 12, 2014 12:04AM
I had the IH3688PS Royal Red, Harlansburg Horror 1466 owned by Book and Brown. Dale Monrale had the bandit 2805MF. Tim Royer JD4440 Iron Maiden, Vern Over's 966 Sligo Stallion, Roland Barr's 4320JD Green Line Fever, Oswalds 1070Case Keystone Kop, Dallas Mohler 986 Lady in Red, I will think of more give me time.
For trivia does anybody know what I had before RR and the name of the tractor?

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 12, 2014 12:53AM
How about "Hard Times", a hard charging Massey 1155 I believe you ran in the mid 80's Smiling

Old Pulling Buff

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 12, 2014 04:08AM
You are correct. I just got back from the shop we are finishing up my brothers IH SSD. We came up with some others from back in the day;
Ron Kuchenbecker AC D21, Mike Knam JD4020 Titan, Robard Bros Oliver Stray Cat.

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 23, 2014 11:39PM
I watched the gallahger's pull many times at the butler farm show in Pa. they brought three irish named tractors and off course I will never forget Vern Over almost flipping the sled with his big tractor, wow, that thing was way ahead of its time for the 80's, where did his tractors end up??

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 12, 2014 07:16AM
I seem to remember being at a pull just after the NTPA put the class in and they talked about the Kohl's as being one of the driving forces getting the class into NTPA. I think their names were Gary and Dale, I think they ran an 856 and a 1206. Can anyone confirm this, my memory is a little fuzzy on this.

S'no Farmer

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 12, 2014 09:16AM
Kohl's were always a pair of 856's. They converted from SSD to PS for '81, the year of the Grand National class' inauguration, which we know now is an established date.
What is not certain from the thread contributors on both services is what year did the PS class debut on the overall NTPA member state and region circuits. Am getting some various opinions, which is fine, as a great dialogue helps to figure things out.
I did receive an email from Gregg Randall that he did not have access to the archives as he was at the Ohio Fair Managers Convention. So hopefully, tomorrow, we will have an answer.
I greatly appreciate everyone's contribution. It has been interesting reminscing over all the honorees of the originals, many of whom I recoginze, some of which I knew and others whom are new names to me.

So, let us move the topic now to who would you like featured in future Pro Stock "Legends" stories?
Perhaps, Jan Riedl (spelling?) who founded Riverside Engine Inc. and was so instrumental in developing the technology for the PS engines I feel may be a great choice for the next PS "Legends" features. I think Linder Bros. had a big part of bringing all that together, too. Obviously, they will make quite a story just themselves someday, the same as Voreis will.

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 13, 2014 12:06AM
You can't talk about Pro Stock legends at all without mentioning "The Sneaky Snake" and Jon Lorenz.

Re: Need Info Input on Pro Stock Inaugural Year, etc. January 13, 2014 01:58AM
I know here in Indiana that there were two tractors and owners that had a great influence in getting what would become the Pro-Stock class from HSTPA to NTPA. One was Sonny Kixmiller and the other was Rodney Horst. Both ran Cases and they called their group of tractors the "Black Sheep Squadron". I believe Sonny's tractor was a 970 and he called it "Happy Pappy". Rod Horst run a 1070, but right now I can't remember what he named his. Last time I saw and talked to Sonny, he was singing with a gospel group called "The Circle of Friends". Sadly Rod Horst died in a pickup truck accident just outside of Vincennes Indiana in 1983.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520