Routing of air intake for turbo? March 02, 2014 03:32AM
Need some info on best option for pulling air into the turbo. Running an IH 1066 w/ 466 and an S300 turbo. Still have stock radiator setup in tractor so not too much room between turbo and radiator hose. Was going to mount guillotine to turbo then 90 out of guillotine out to left side(if setting in seat) of tractor using 4" hose and pipe attaching a horn to the end of pipe so it just stuck out the side of the side shield. Does this sound ok? I could pipe it up and over the radiator to the front of the tractor and let the horn stick out between the headlights....but I wonder what affect that much piping would have on it?
I've also been reading where that the horn should have 7 degrees of slope? Appreciate any information you folks are willing to share.

Re: Routing of air intake for turbo? March 02, 2014 04:19AM
Just put the guillotine on no need to do anything else

Re: Routing of air intake for turbo? March 02, 2014 04:57AM
Turbo1...so you don't think it's even worth running the inlet out ot the side or front of tactor for better air?

Re: Routing of air intake for turbo? March 02, 2014 06:07AM
Won't make a noticeable difference no

Re: Routing of air intake for turbo? March 02, 2014 04:33AM
I did something similar to what you're describing. This is an S300 with a reducer slug on the compressor inlet, followed by a guillotine, then a 45 degree elbow routed up towards the stock inlet over the radiator. It fits, but just barely. I didn't have to do anything to the thermostat housing, just trimmed the radiator hose slightly so I could shove it down farther to make more room. You can't see it in the picture, but I also reused the stock hose that would go between the cast nose and the air filter housing. It makes for a pretty straight run to the front of the grill, and with all 4" plumbing, or bigger, I doubt it's giving me much inlet restriction to the compressor.

Re: Routing of air intake for turbo? March 02, 2014 08:07AM
Took a tour of Indy Motor speedway. Was amazed that all the turboed motors had horns on them. Conform to the way everyone else does it in your class or do it your own way and good luck. Innovation is part of the fun of tractor pulling. Protect inlet from rain drops and pieces of dirt have seen both be hard on intake wheel.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520