6500 LSS at Cloverdale March 17, 2009 06:39AM
Not sure what the diesel/alcohol weight break was for Cloverday LSS but when the top diesel and top alcohol tractors in the country finish 1 & 2 with nearly the same distance, is that the right weight break so we can run alcohol and diesel together? Seems like it should be. I really like to see them run in the same class.

Re: 6500 LSS at Cloverdale March 17, 2009 09:47AM
I personally think this was the biggest news of the weekend. Unfortunately it’s been overshadowed by parking in a muddy a bean field (I would have been a little upset too!), but now that the bean field dust (mud) has settled, maybe we can be back to some of the good points of the weekend, so…

Klint, thank you for running the diesels and alcohols together with a 500 lb. weight break (Diesel LSS weighed 7000 lbs. Alcohol LSS weighed 6500 lbs.). I was eagerly awaiting the results from the event, and I was extremely happy with how close the finish was.

I’ve been writing about a 500 lb. weight break for almost a decade now. (I have my Opinion articles archived to verify my 500 lb. claim but unfortunately I don’t have an archive of my message board to save all my little comments I’ve made. Over that decade the LSS class has gradually gotten heavier and heavier, but I always stayed with a 500 lbs. difference. I’m finally happy to see RLF run against The Bomb to see what would happen. I just love to see that battle all summer long so see if the 500 lb weight break would work for an entire summer. The key is having a top DSS run in the Light Super Stock class for an entire season.

I don’t care what you call it, call it Light Super Stock if you want, call it something else if you want. In Gordyville 2007 I sat in a hotel room with my father and a friend and I spouted off (I’m good at spouting off) about a class I called the Seven Super, not the Light, not the Heavy, but simply the Seven Super. My idea was DSS at 7000 lbs, 504 pushrod alcohol tractors at 6500 lbs. If… after a year the DSS dominate the class then next year it’s 6900 lbs DSS vs. 6600 lbs. alcohol. It might take a year or two to get the weight perfect, but I would be pretty darn simple to get it so a diesel and an alcohol tractor split wins roughly 50/50 for an entire summer.

Pulling is getting closer and closer to a unified Super Stock class again, and the sport will be better for it when it does. Every little experiment gets us one step closer.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

6200 6500 is enough March 17, 2009 01:49PM
heavier heavier heavier? WTF ??? when heavey deisels ss first wanted alcy,s seperated. deisels never gave wieght brake a chance or a second thaut. so why hand it to them now with 500 ibs at 65 and 7, Why?? They dont deserve to gett it that easy. There has been alot of innovation in lss componet chassis,s in the last few years, after Jakes oso ((brilliant idea)). The light pullers have put alot of time, thought, effort and money into building there chassis so there light and functional. BUTT WHO CARES RIGHT JAKE??? So lets just throw all that progress, effort and enginuity of the ((light)) pullers away so old out of date heavy ss deisels can dominate hands down! RIGHT JAKE? Thats horse $#it!!!!!!!!! Building a competetive chassis in lss is just as much apart of the challenge as building the horse power, its what seperates them from the rest of the classes. whether you understand that or not Jake. some things you need not reply !!

Re: 6200 6500 is enough March 17, 2009 02:17PM
I agree, LIGHT super stock is the best class going and I don't want to ruin it by letting a bunch of whinny DSS pullers into it. Why not give them a weight break and put them back in USS where they belong, Oh thats right they would get thier A$$ kicked. They wanted their own class and thats what they got, now leave the rest of us alone.

Re: 6200 6500 is enough March 17, 2009 02:51PM
I have to agree, DON"T RUIN THE LIGHT CLASS. Everyone has went through alot of trouble and expense to get the movable weight needed for the class and I should stay light. I love to see the alkys and diesels mix it up. NTPA runs an 8,000lb diesel super, why not let the alky guys run with them @ 7500lb, just don't screw up the light class. class.

Everybody, deep breath... inhale... exhale... March 17, 2009 03:28PM
Let me clarify, I like the idea of a Seven Super… End of statement

Before every LSS puller get in an uproar and yells don’t ruin it! or Seven isn’t light… or diesel already got their own class… or any other argument. I’m not saying the LSS class should change… I’m simply stating a class I’d like to watch as a fan. I’m simply stating that I’d be interested in watching that combination to see if it would work. I’m saying I’d love to see the outcome of Youngblood pulling against the Bomb where either could win. If it's 7000 and 7500 that's fine too, I'd be happy with 7500 and 8000 or 7800 and 8000 it's really not important to me what the exact wieght is. I just would love to see a show of the best vs. the best at whatever weight would work to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Again… I’m am not telling anyone the LSS class needs to change. I’m not saying the DSS needs to change. I’m just saying what I’d drive a long ways to watch.

Please everyone take a deep breath, nobody is telling your class what to do, I’m simple voicing my opinion as a fan on my dream scenario.

As for the current LSS class… again, I don’t care what the weight break is to keep diesel and alcohol tractors competitive in the same class. If it’s 0 lbs. or if it’s 500 lbs. it really doesn’t matter to me. I want to see a fair show where either can win. If 300 lbs. is what it takes, that’s great, if it’s 200 lbs. that great, if it’s 500 lbs. that fine too. I don’t care what the number is, I care about show quality not weight.

I’d be more than happy to give my opinion on what I think it should be but it’s just my opinion, it won’t change the weight in the class, it’s just my opinion.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Everybody, deep breath... inhale... exhale... March 17, 2009 03:52PM
Jake I undestand what you are saying. I have wanted to pull against these guys for years,mostly because they are my friends and they are great pullers and class acts! I personaly do not like pulling over 6200, hell I am still one of those guys who wishes it was still 5500, but if its going to put on a good show I throw on a littel weight once a while. Just for the record Esdon was suffuring from PTWS on fri night. The only thing the lite class has going for it is the weight,it makes it exciting and out of control. Wisconsin is going to try the 62 alky 65 smoker weight break this year to see what happens .

fatboy in red heels March 17, 2009 05:00PM
i mean on the heels of red tractors, yeah thats what i ment? hey what was it M.A.F.I.A. stood for ? i will say it was one good shoodown

Re: Everybody, deep breath... inhale... exhale... March 17, 2009 05:54PM
Mark, I thought to Esdon backed out early- but he's been out a year and maybe a little rusty or not ready to show all his cards yet. Have to line em again at Tomah. Sure would of been a good finals if he got her to light....

Re: Everybody, deep breath... inhale... exhale... March 20, 2009 06:02AM
Yep Esdon let off the gas and coasted. So run them at 6200 Alky and 6400 or 6500 Diesel. Let the Diesel run a 18 inch hitch like most light Alkys have had to. The weight of a diesel pump and radiator and all the extras are close to the front of the tractor not on the rear hitch.They wouldnt let the unlimited run with them with 500# at 8000 so why give them 500# in a light class that helps them out more than it did in the Heavy. Why so much weight difference from the start of this new class. Looks to me like another SAND BAGGIN PINKS Dragracin show .

Re: Everybody, deep breath... inhale... exhale... March 20, 2009 02:56PM
Does the Bomb (possibly one of the lightest 505 tractors on the circuit?) run all his weight on the nose at 6200?

Personally I hate weight breaks or hitch height differences to make up for HP differences because I don't think the same one works on a good biting track as a hard slick or sandy track. However, Bruce has a pretty good list & he didn't include the extra turbo in a 4 charger setup. You say it's not on the hitch, but I think his list plus a turbo would be about 400 lbs. Figuring most is in the engine or just in front of it, let's say it averages 8 ft forward of the axle. Moving that 400 lbs from 8 to 13 ft would equate to an extra 150 lbs on the nose for the alkys.

Re: 6200 6500 is enough March 18, 2009 12:42AM
i like the idea of runnning the diesel supers with the light supers and let them wight 6200 alcokal and 6600 diesel and let the diesel use intercoolers it would be a beeter show than the diesel supers are now, they are boring. putting the alcohal and diesel bak together would really make the class more interesting

Re: 6200 6500 is enough March 18, 2009 12:55AM
how about spark plugs at 5800 and diesels at 6200 then we would have a true light super class! and let the diesels run the coolers. or better yet run everyone at6000 and let the diesels have computer controlled fuel systems and four valve heads then maybe they could keep up at the same weight

Re: 6200 6500 is enough March 18, 2009 03:13AM
Lets just spend everyone else's money for them. Sounds good to me. Smiling

Jesse Post
JP Pulling Productions

JP
 FacebookJP Youtube

Re: 6200 6500 is enough March 18, 2009 03:58AM
I too wish we could pull (compete) heads up, but unfortunately that maybe a dream. The diesels need a few necessary items to run that an alcohol tractor may not need such as steel or cast heads (not alum.), water injection pumps, water valves, hoses, fuel injection pumps ( ones that don't stick pungers... if you know of a good one let us know) injectors, injection lines, radiator, cooling fans, water pumps for radiator, water for block and radiator, heavy rods, heavy pistons, engine tie down devices ( if so desired ), these are most of the items. I didn't list transfer pumps and such because the alcohol tractors need those too. Hopefully this doesn't sound like complaining because it's not, just thought in case some people hadn't thought about it this may shed some light on the weight differance that is being tryed to even things out, because making a run on the wheeley bars might look exciting, it probably won't win you too many pulls. I might add that I am speaking for only myself and others may have differant opinions. Like Fatboy mentioned alot of us pullers are or have been friends and it's fun to get together and pull. So hopefully we get it figured out because I believe the fans want to see both alcohol and diesel together and the bottom line is without fans we won't have much.

HEY BRUCE March 18, 2009 04:35AM
HEY BRUCE LOOKS LIKE U HAD A COUPLE OF GOOD RUNS DOWN AT CLOVERDALE GLAD TO SEE U GOT IT BACK TOGETHER AFTER THAT FUEL PUMP SITUATION. HOPFULLY WE GET TO SEE JUST ONE MORE ALOT MORE THIS SUMMER. IM SICK OF WINTER BRING ON OTTERTAIL AND ALL THE SMOKE. HOPE TO SEE U THERE.

Re: HEY BRUCE March 18, 2009 05:25AM
Yea we had fun and were happy with the results for the most part. Unfortunately the pump problem didn't go away. Should be good to go for summer.

Re: HEY BRUCE March 18, 2009 06:18AM
WELL I HOPE I DONT BRING U BAD LUCK THIS SUMMER. EVERY TIME LAST YEAR THAT I WENT TO A PULL YOUR FUEL PUMP BIT YA. LOL. HOPEFULLY THE LUMBER BUISNESS PICKS UP FOR MORE TRUCKING TO KEEP PUTTING IN PUMPS LOL. GOOD LUCK IN 2009.

Re: HEY BRUCE March 18, 2009 08:01AM
Bruce hate to see you guys have problems. Whose pump you using? Cast or billet?

Pump issues can be frustrating.

Re: HEY BRUCE March 19, 2009 04:03AM
Adam, I'll tell you all about it this summer. I'm sure we'll run into you somewhere. I better get back to work, gotta figure out how to catch those alkies. Later...

Re: HEY BRUCE March 19, 2009 05:11AM
If you are going to Tomah I will stock the cabinet with brown water and fill the cooler with that watered down stuff and you can have your choice. Maybe the later it gets I will get some of those "secrets" out of you.

Re: 6500 LSS at Cloverdale March 18, 2009 01:06PM
Esdon let off the throttle and coasted to the win, let me repeat he coasted to the win . Winking

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009