Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 10, 2014 08:45AM
Local group has an 8k# & 9k# naturally aspirated class. No limit on cubic inches. In the rules, a guy can run a turbo as long as he is under 315 cubic inches. Would a 312 have the potential to hang with these guys? Everyone is allowed 3,000 rpms and an A pump max. Speed limit is set for 8 mph. Would a little turbo engine be held back too much by the speed limit to be competative? There is 540 cubed masseys and 466 deeres in the class right now. Not much for red. I suppose I could just build a 466 or 540 NA motor, but thought I would see what you guys thought about the 312 turbo. I believe it would have to be a 3lm appearing turbo, so you know what that means....

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 10, 2014 11:17AM
If you can run gas or propane go for it

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 10, 2014 11:35AM
Correction factor or index for NA to forced induction is usually between 1.7-2.0 to 1. A 312 with a turbo should compete with NA engines
to 600 cubic inches or so. Turbo'd 312 likely to be more consistent as well.

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 11, 2014 12:23AM
I think at 8 mph you should be ok. At 5 or less I would be worried about not having enough torque to lug with the big boys. One major advantage you will have is cost. Compare the cost of a turbo vs. building a custom big cube engine! You will get more HP much cheaper. Smiling

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 11, 2014 10:28AM
I would say it would hang in just fine. I would be concerned with the 3lm turbo deal though I'm just not a fan of a 3lm way too antiquated. The 540s and 466s you would be running against are they gas or diesel? Are you thinking of running yours on gas or diesel? I have seen 268 cubic inch fords with stock turbos hang right in and also beat some big cube strong running deeres. That is also diesel vs. diesel.

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 11, 2014 10:45AM
Everyone is diesel. I would run diesel as well. I would think that I should be able to run a 2.6 charger given the 200 cubic inch differnce, but they mentioned a turbo like a 3lm would be ok.

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 11, 2014 02:39PM
If you can use a TA I believe a 312 with a 3 lm charger will walk all over any na 466. But watch out for the big cube Moline. Don't get too extreme with your cam or you woun't be able to keep the 3lm lit.

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 12, 2014 12:35AM
No torque amplifier. 656 rearend. Factory gearing and ta eliminator. I would use a 312 crank and my DT 360 truch head and cam. The cam I will consult No Limit Mfg hete in wisconsin on, or possibly Riverside and Vogel. If they sell me on something special, then I have no problem changing cams out.

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 12, 2014 11:13AM
I would definatly go for the vogel cam, as far as timing tell chuck what your plans are and set it where he tells you....scrap the 3lm they are junk....dont get too crazy on your pump timing and you will hold the charger in just fine. Should be a good little runner.

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 12, 2014 11:42AM
What are you thinking on turbo? If these guys are looking for a 3lm- Im inclined to have a h2 center put in the 3lm housings and add a billit wheel. What are your thoughts. Was thinking a 3lm-299 exhaust housing. The t-3 base would work nicely with my cummins exhaust manifold I am using....

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 12, 2014 01:38AM
we have a class here that is 6500 unlimited cube, 3k rpm. or you can run 380 cube with a turbo. MM with 1600 cubes is hard to beat. id like to build a motor for the class but officials wont let me de-bore a 414.

Re: Turbo versus cubic inches..... November 13, 2014 01:30PM
I have a 666 with a 312,13mm 100 pump and a 3-LM 466 charger. I have to come off the line at 3500rpm or I get under the charger, It hangs well down the track, works great for me.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM