97 dodge Cummins ? December 01, 2014 08:46AM
I have recently bought a 97 dodge ram Cummins truck has 95000 miles on it truck idles great sounds great also but has no power when in the pedal I have put a new lift pump on it has not helped would like some help before I spend a lot trying to find a the problem

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 01, 2014 08:59AM
Air filter? That's what caused mine to be low on power.

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 01, 2014 09:45AM
I agree, first check your air filter, fuel pressure, and check for boost leaks.

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 01, 2014 01:21PM
Cum-apart is your first mistake!

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 01, 2014 03:32PM
Also check the boost line from the AFC (top back part of the pump).. Follow it, and check the lines..

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 03, 2014 01:44AM
Check and make sure the fuel shut off is working properly had mine one time fall apart and the truck run fine but lacked power it was because it was only opening half way so it wasn't getting enough fuel. The plunger fell out of the fuel shut off but was only allowing half rate of fuel. Once I found that problem mine ran like a strip ape but before I found the problem only run about 55 and had no power at all

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 03, 2014 11:43PM
I had the rubber hoses crack from the oem lift pump. Didnt leak but they sure sucked air. Spent quite a while chasing it

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 01, 2014 03:32PM
As mentioned check for compressed air leaks, the aneroid on the fuel pump could have a leaky fitting, this will reduce fuel output. Crack the fuel line between the lift and injection pump, crank the engine and see if there is supply fuel. CHANGE filters.

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 02, 2014 02:06AM
I have already put a cold air intake on it and changed filters and new lift pump nothing helped

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 03, 2014 02:00AM
Truck has no smoke at all sounds like its brand new does seam to idle a little slow starts fine turbo has no play and spins free

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 03, 2014 02:17AM
Need help. Look at the fuel solenoid shut off that's what mine would do run no smoke no power it was not engergizing enough and only letting some fuel to pump not full fuel to it

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 03, 2014 03:06AM
Thank sounds just like what mine is doing and it did have some electrical problems also truck has been sitting for like 5 years its in amazing shape just minor things need done

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 02, 2014 02:34AM
Before doing anything else, I'd check lift pump pressure, new or not. Then set the valves and pump timing. Check throttle linkage for wear and cable for stretching and verify that you are getting WOT. More details might help - boost pressure, black smoke, white smoke, no smoke, etc...........

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 02, 2014 11:42AM
I've had two of these style trucks. Half a million outta both with no issues. Check all fuel lines for cracking some times they'll leak fuel some times they wont when running but 96-97 were prone to vertical cracking in the fuel lines. Have the valves adjusted every 100k, trust me on this you'll be suprised how it runs after you do.

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 04, 2014 01:49PM
You may want to check the fuel heater screen also. If the truck has been sitting as long as you say there is the possibility of contaminated fuel plugging this screen.

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 06, 2014 11:12AM
need help
I have recently bought a 97 dodge ram Cummins truck has 95000 miles on it truck idles great sounds great also but has no power when in the pedal I have put a new lift pump on it has not helped would like some help before I spend a lot trying to find a the problem

What's the word? Did you make any progress?

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 07, 2014 12:28AM
No I haven't yet haven't got to work on it anymore since I started this

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 07, 2014 02:16AM
need help
No I haven't yet haven't got to work on it anymore since I started this

I know the feeling! Post up your results when you get a chance to work on it. Thanks!

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 07, 2014 08:29AM
As others have said take apart prefilter screen next fuel filter, new screens are available for 15 bucks or so, need cleaned or replaced every 100,000 miles or so
Start truck and check fuel shutoff linkage, they tend to fall apart and won't turn fuelpump all the way on, make low power.

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 10, 2014 05:03PM
Well i got it fixed turns out the small eye bolt on the end of the fuel shut off solenoid was rusted solid to the pin on the pump and it was not letting it move either way now I just need to figure out how to turn this baby up alittle

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 11, 2014 01:56AM
That's easy follow these steps and you will be well on your way to wreaking a perfectly good transmission
Instal a EGT gauge so you know when to let off before it melts down
Remove AFR control from top of pump. Move the fuel plate toward the front of the engine
Remove the cover at the bottom rear of pump and turn fuel screw in about a 1/2 turn
Find someone who has the proper tools to advance the timing correctly
Leave large clouds of black smoke at every stop sign you leave so all diesel owners look bad
I assume that is your expected result as you did not mention buying a turbo to compensate for the increased fuel
Enjoy

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 11, 2014 09:05AM
Well easy thanks for ur worthless point of view seeing that no this truck was not bought for this it was bought to tow a trailer and wagons on the farm not to f off in town its a work truck not a damb toy all I want is about 300 to 325 out of it so it doesn't destroy the rest of the truck so thank u to everyone who actually help with ideas

Re: 97 dodge Cummins ? December 11, 2014 12:34PM
To get to 300 or350 from a 215hp truck do as I stated above the only out of pocket you will have is paying someone to set the timing if you do not have the proper tools to do so. It will smoke like a freight train every time you step on it. It will produce enough torque to take out the clutch when towing heavy. If you instal a better turbo (I used a BD back in the day) it will make just about 400 hp on a chassis dyno I've done it I had one I spent the money to fix it when it broke. Just trying to give you a heads up as to what may happen. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. If the truck is a 180 hp auto trams you will have to spend money to make 300hp. Hope you find this helpful. If you really want 300hp with no smoke look for a 03 or newer. Definitely instal a pre turbo EGT gauge if you do choose to turn up your current truck. It will make 1500 to1600 degrees very easily at that fuel setting good luck and I hope this great diesel truck serves you well.

Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,644, Posts: 229,710, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520