Bio Diesel December 27, 2014 09:58AM
Has anyone heard if PPL outlawed Bio Diesel as rumored?

Re: Bio Diesel December 28, 2014 03:18AM
I was told that B20 was going to be the max amount allowed.

Re: Bio Diesel December 28, 2014 12:35PM
The only way they can insure that it is B20 is to provide the fuel for the pullers. To my knowledge there is no quick and inexpensive test to check the level of biodiesel in the fuel.

Re: Bio Diesel December 29, 2014 01:15AM
I don't run it but way are you worried about what blend of biodiesel you are running because it's no secret and if you want to run it anyone can get it come on guys get real. What's the problem anyway I guess I'll be not to smart and ask?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2014 01:16AM by farmall puller.

Re: Bio Diesel December 29, 2014 04:03AM
This might be a little of topic when it comes to Bio Diesel . My thoughts of Bio is that soybean oil based diesel is ok, my issue is with the animal fats that they ut is the diesel if you look on the tag or pump it will say bio mass diesel ( animal fat) and up north we have alot of fuel related trouble . Yes alot of the trouble that we see can be avoided with proper service, what we are running into more ad more is fuel quality btu , fuel weight ( power and mileage).

Re: Bio Diesel December 29, 2014 04:33AM
Why outlaw a fuel that comes from the farm and many of us are trying to promote? I've ran corn oil all year and understand the drawbacks ,but don't like it,don't run it.

Re: Bio Diesel December 29, 2014 03:28AM
i dont have a problem running it. i ran it in my limited pro several times this year. do i like to.... no the stuff eats paint, it turns into a gum like substance when
spilt on the engine, it wet stacks, its hard on fuel lines, o rings, injectors and fuel pumps. if it isnt outlawed i will run it again next year. i would rather them say no we arent going to allow anyone to run it, or just do something similar to outlaws. so no i do not have a problem running it or with anyone else running it but would like to see it gone.

Re: Bio Diesel December 29, 2014 07:25AM
I think the 100% bio diesel problem is that it is nitro methane compatible, most organization do not check for it, why not mix all tractor fuel together, and divide back out between classes occasionally, just for sh$it's , and giggles!

Re: Bio Diesel December 29, 2014 03:52PM
No wonder most puller prefer b100

Re: Bio Diesel December 30, 2014 02:23PM
I have ran straight Bio in a 425 cat on the road and it lost power

Re: Bio Diesel December 30, 2014 04:04PM
You know guys I raise soybeans and corn but I can;t afford the downtime and filter cost of using biodiesel. My pump man said to keep running it and he wouldn't have any problem staying in business. I only ran it as a B20 and I had all kind of issues and once I quit using it I quit having any issues. Hate not using it but it is what it is.

Re: Bio Diesel December 30, 2014 11:17PM
I wonder if you were using Fat fuel not Soy . I' ve never had trouble with soy in tractors or trucks unless it's below about 15 deg.

Re: Bio Diesel December 31, 2014 03:40AM
Not to mention the extra water bio fuels hold. It's been very hard on modern systems with no tolerance.

They did a good job promoting it at first, but all of its issues caught up with it and those with a choice chose to quit running it. Then the mandates came. The only people left running it are some farmers, some greenies and those forced to use it. Most run it for personal, political or ethical reasons now not for anything related to performance or cost.

Re: Bio Diesel December 31, 2014 09:24AM
So what is the best diesel to run? Power and won't hurt your fuel system? And will it make the power B100 does?

Re: Bio Diesel December 31, 2014 10:24AM
Used soy oil for 3 years. Not an issue yet. Use pure soy oil, no additives.

Re: Bio Diesel December 31, 2014 12:47PM
Bad Medicine I was running soy oil not fat. It's great if you can run it but didn't work in this operation.

Re: Bio Diesel January 02, 2015 02:32PM
Biodiesel has about 10% less BTUs (think energy and horsepower) than dino diesel. Why would anyone want to use it in a pulling tractor regardless of blend as it puts you behind everyone else.

Re: Bio Diesel January 02, 2015 05:22PM
To Mr. Biodiesel user;
Obviously you know not of what you speak.
Either that, or, you know the truth, and are trying to blow smoke up our rectum.
Better get some chap stick. Ain't workin!

Re: Bio Diesel January 02, 2015 11:44PM
Actually he is correct, Biodiesel does have around 5-10% fewer BTU's/gallon. That is for B100 of course.

Several sources across the Web will back this information up including the National biodiesel board. Below is a link to their paper on it.

[www.biodiesel.org]

Re: Bio Diesel January 03, 2015 06:34AM
That is what I was saying, the smoke blower dude knows this, he just wants to try to scare his competition away from using B100.
It is either that, or he is an idiot.

Re: Bio Diesel January 03, 2015 12:28AM
B100 has less BTU but has more complete combustion than diesel--that's why it makes more power.

Re: Bio Diesel January 03, 2015 01:45AM
btu's are great for heating a house but they dont mean squat for real horsepower in an engine. heating oil is high in btu nitrometane aint. bio makes more hp on the dyno than dino diesel.

Re: Bio Diesel January 03, 2015 02:37AM
Correct, BTU's are only one part of the equation. It is just one standard that is useful when comparing the potential energy available in a fuel, its not a way to measure power at all. The most likely explanation for Biodiesels equal or better power on the dyno (if that is the case), is likely due to its higher cetane rating and possibly due to the inconsistencies with ULSD fuel. Many state that ULSD can vary up to 15% in its energy content while certified biodiesel appears to be much more consistent amount fuels produced with similar feedstocks. Almost all Biodiesel has a higher cetane rating than ULSD, the base stock can influence the cetane rating as well. Veggie oils are not as high as animal fat based fuels. Higher cetane number means combustion starts sooner allowing for more complete combustion and the potential for more power to be extracted from the same amount of fuel. How significant the differences really can be, I do not know. Those in the biodiesel industry seem to unanimously agree that performance differences will not be noticeable.

The reason Nitromethane can make so much power with such a low BTU rating is due to it supplying its own oxygen. Same reason methanol and pure ethanol can make more power with lower BTU ratings. Stoich for pump gas is 14.7:1, stoich for nitro is around 1.7:1. The more fuel you can burn the more power you can make, but you need the oxygen to burn the fuel either in the form of cubic inches, boost, an additive like Nitrous or a fuel that supplies its own oxygen. 8,000hp out of 500 cubes is fairly impressive IMO, but its a bit pricey to operate.

Now efficiency is another factor, but not so much for tractor pulling.

Re: Bio Diesel January 05, 2015 08:26AM
Pure plant oil gasoline mixing

Re: Bio Diesel January 03, 2015 08:26PM
It works good in the road tractors we have at a 75 % bio 25 %gas ratio,, actually gained 3 mpg

Re: Bio Diesel January 04, 2015 04:42AM
25% GAS??????
Really?
Gas?
Now who doesn't know what they are talking about?

Re: Bio Diesel January 04, 2015 06:22AM
Dont be so shocked about gasoline mixed in the diesel fuel for winter blend. In fact when GM first put the 5.7 deisel in pickups and cars in the OWNERS MANUEL it actually called for a mix of gas up to 10% Problem with that was "city folks" and idiots who believed "some is good ,more is better" and they started having engine related troubles (headgaskets burned pistons, bent rods etc.......) So yes gas works better than you think. Plus when you go WAY north ............. it is a very common mix

Re: Bio Diesel January 04, 2015 10:38AM
Yup years ago, our fuel man would mix Gas in the fuel barrel for Winter blend. Don't remember how much but 15 gal. in 300 gal. barrel sticks in my mind.

Re: Bio Diesel January 04, 2015 11:33AM
I know a man that use to mix 10% unlead with his diesel for his semi to run in cold weather. Didn't hurt a thing and he got a million miles out of his trucks with no problems of any kind. It works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 11:34AM by farmall puller.

Re: Bio Diesel January 04, 2015 03:24PM
10% is a darn lot less than 25%
And he ain't talking about winter!
Pretty sure he has no idea what he is talking about.

Re: Bio Diesel January 05, 2015 01:23AM
They probably had a typo and meant diesel and not gas. Mixing gas and biodiesel doesn't work in any blend as it separates. The gas seems to settle on the bottom and this can be a disaster if it happens in you fuel tank. I only tried blending with B100 and gave up quickly. I am not sure what happens if you have dino diesel mixed in with it.

Re: Bio Diesel January 05, 2015 08:35AM
Check this out I have talked on the phone to the guy that has this site up he swear buy it.Oilcrusher.5u.com

Re: Bio Diesel January 05, 2015 09:09AM
This thread has spun way off topic. But you need to remember that vegetable oil is made up of different types of fatty acids and biodiesel is a methyl ester. They are different beasts and act differently when mixed with gas.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520