"Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 23, 2015 01:02PM
So, I see there is an ad on the for sale side of the site here, and they have a "Race Tractor" for sale.........like, really, we're actually gonna start calling pulling tractors "Race Tractors"? Come on people, have you fallen for the marketing game? Can we not have our own sport, incidently called "Tractor PULLING"? What is the name of the site here? Good lord help us!

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 23, 2015 01:49PM
In all fairness it is a "racing tractor". Most pulling tractors that we see are not really built to pull, they are meant to go fast. Pull the sled the sled as fast as you can when it pulls the easiest and let the momentum take you as far as possible. Lots of variables to deal with but thats what it amounts to.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 23, 2015 10:41PM
True, but the tractors are pulling for a distance. Many would say that a "racing" tractor would have to go against another tractor at the same time or get timed by a stop watch.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 23, 2015 02:03PM
It's a Bowling Green thing... you wouldn't understand!

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 23, 2015 02:31PM
weres the like button...

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 23, 2015 02:49PM
I don't get all these whiners about how these tractors are going so fast that it isn't a pull anymore it's a race. I don't care how the sled is set don't you think the guy with relatively the most power and picks the faster gear and goes down the track the fastest is probably going to win?? I mean it's pretty plain and simple if you want to win your going to try and use momentum on your side right? It's the logistics of pulling... Just my opinion

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 01:28AM
You have just won the chicken dinner! Statement is 100% correct finally someone else gets it.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 02:03AM
Puller 2, What the fans don't realize, and some of the younger pullers is the fact that were losing skill in tractor and truck pulling. I know, "if the music's to loud, you're too old" adage. Well I guess I'm too old then. I went to my first tractor pull sometime around 1967 or 1968. I fell in love with the sport with the first tractor I saw go down the track. I've mainly pulled modifieds all my life, and yes, I do have a preference for modifieds, but yet, I enjoy them all. So, with that being said, let me make a few points before I get back in my rocking chair.
It's obvious that pulling has evolved, whether for the good or not. Sleds have changed, pulling trucks and tractors have changed as many are "cookie cutter" now. The pullers have changed and many tracks are built differently now. OK, things have obviously changed. Race tractors, yes, that's becoming a fair statement. The days of the pace tractor are gone (not saying it shouldn't be), but so is some of the ingenuity and skill. Are there those out there that still possess these traits I just mentioned? Sure there are. They're the ones that slip in and get wins and make many of the other pullers scratch their head in wonderment when they get a win.
I mentioned "cookie cutter", please don't take that as an insult. It just means that many of those pullers today who build new trucks or tractors do so by picking up the phone and calling builders or fabricators in the pulling world. Many rely on what the builders tell them on setups, or with information shared on sites like this (no insult implied). More than likely, the days of building a puller that can be competitive in your garage or shop is closely coming to and end. It is becoming all about horsepower and speed. We figured this out some years ago, that you needed to RPM mid track to gain momentum for the far end. If you couldn't do that, you'd end up running midway or further back in the pack.
So, what does this really translate into? Professionally built engines and chassis, specialty pulling tires, and cut by profession tire cutters. I'm now very close to 60 years old, and realize more than anyone, that things change, and "fast"! My fear is though, as mentioned earlier, the loss of skill. The ability to read a track, balance a pulling truck or tractor. The ability to not only know your pulling machine, but to feel it. Horsepower can hide a lot of problems. Will it win every time? NO! But it definitely can mask other problems and lack of skill.
I was lucky enough to learn about pulling from some greats. I kept my mouth shut when they would speak, and I'd listen. I'd watch them closely, and in many cases imprint my memory with what they did or said.
As a final thought, and example comes to mind. Several years ago I went to a pull in northern Indiana. The track was less than perfect and the starting line was a mess. I was lucky enough in this case to be the last hook in the class (not always an advantage as many of you know). I watched tractor after tractor blow the tires away leaving the starting line. Before my hook came up, I moved several hundred pounds of weight back from the belly rack to the rear weight bracket. When I hooked to the sled and was given the green flag, instead of jumping on the throttle as most had done, I walked it out on the clutch until probably 100 or 125 feet, then I felt (key word here) the back of the tractor sink. I knew I was hooked, so I threw the throttle fully forward and let the clutch go completely. I can't remember now what it was, but there was a significant difference in distance between myself and the tractor that came in 2nd place behind me. Yes, there was some grumblings about the sled operator (he lives close to my home) giving me an advantage, but those were untrue. I suggest the win was due solely to reading the track and adjusting accordingly. I undoubtedly beat several tractors that I know had a lot more horsepower than I did. Should I have won because of my engines available horsepower? No. I attributive it to the skills I developed over the years.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 02:50AM
Too me it takes more skill today to hit the set up right because with the speed being higher you have less time for mistakes.

Reaction time is less today for drivers.

One bounce today kills way more distance because your momentum is much more important.

And I see many tracks where hp isnt the answer to getting the win its getting the perfect pass.

It's not the same as 1990 and before but it takes a totally different set up and skill set today to get that win with these sleds.

If you watch videos there are two aspects to the hook in play today. First the race to when the box tops out, and then the pull to when the sled stops.

Today pullers have a setup that can win both the race and the pull. Some tracks its impossible to make both happy.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 02:52AM by AV.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 04:10AM
Right on One Sick Puppy,older than you,changes come and come fast,new tech stuff leads to less communication verbally,less physical work,less effort for many things,today's youth has a new type skill,some not so much "SEAT OF THE PANTS". Along with every good change comes some not so good,just the way it is.Some sled operators accommodate the type of pulling vehicle very well,others not so much.Speed is fun,but at one pull yrs ago,a National event a high speed pass was made with high hp,at the tractor among the crowd my comment was that"ANYONE CAN RIDE AN AIR TAKE WITH THE VALVE KNOCKED OFF,BUT THAT IT TAKES SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE TO DRIVE SLOW AND WIN",several others chimed in as to how glad they were to hear me say what they were thinking. I do enjoy both,no speed limit classes and paced,both are fun,but it is classic to watch a slow tractor keep going with all wondering how????????? Evolution has taken place since the Cave men,it is here to stay.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 08:22AM
You make some valid points. You are correct in reaction time. Today you have no time for error with runs that last between 12 and 20 seconds. In years past, 30 to 35 seconds weren't uncommon. Todays pulling trucks and tractors would likely not survive long on the sleds of yesteryear. Many of the old sleds were by todays standards nothing less than impossible to start (I could tell many stories relating to this). Many of those sleds had no ability to lift the pan and were a load the complete length of the pull. Todays trucks and tractors are geared for and the engines designed for both high speed in MPH and high RPM. The length of time and consistent load of an older sled would not work with todays pulling trucks and tractors.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 10:19AM
One Sick Puppy
You make some valid points. You are correct in reaction time. Today you have no time for error with runs that last between 12 and 20 seconds. In years past, 30 to 35 seconds weren't uncommon. Todays pulling trucks and tractors would likely not survive long on the sleds of yesteryear. Many of the old sleds were by todays standards nothing less than impossible to start (I could tell many stories relating to this). Many of those sleds had no ability to lift the pan and were a load the complete length of the pull. Todays trucks and tractors are geared for and the engines designed for both high speed in MPH and high RPM. The length of time and consistent load of an older sled would not work with todays pulling trucks and tractors.

I've been around pulling for 51 years so have seen it all since the days of the walk on sleds....Yes,the early mechanical sleds were a bear to get off the line....Pullers either dug holes or snuffed the engine a few feet after getting going.....THe IH's had the advantage over the JD's and AC's because they had a TA....The tracks used to get destroyed with huge holes and humps in them.....Todays tractors and trucks wouldn't work with the old sleds and wouldn't work with the old time tires with lots of lug on them...Its been fun watching pulling evolve for over 50 years....I enjoyed the old days of pulling but we can't go back to them so I'll take todays racing sleds....

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 04:40AM
Hey Charley,long time no see. I say when you unhook the sled then you have race tactors. I just watched a video yesterday of tractor racing across the big pond,yes they were racing around a dirt track. I started pulling with farm stock and have worked my way up to the grand national level of pulling and I can tell you without question that it still takes a lot of skill at that level,more so than any pulling I have done. We are running the Lt Unlimiteds now and at 5000 HP and 6000 lbs it is the most challenging pulling I have been I volved in. On a bad track you have to try to hook a lot of HP without blowing the tires off of the tractor and hurting engines by turning them too hard. Then on a really good track you have to figure out how to hold down the front or how much you need to lower the hitch. It may look like riding a tank with the end knocked off would be easy but you would be wrong!

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 08:34AM
Todd, glad to see you're still kicking as well. Hopefully you and Tarry are doing well. I realize you're right Todd. It still takes a lot of skill and experience to handle todays "Big Horsepower". On the other hand, you know it's not all about horsepower as you noted. I'm not saying that there's not some skilled drivers out there, because there are. You're included in that group. But there are a lot of truck and tractor pullers who rely on the huge horsepower to power them to a win. Many of them still don't know how to "pedal" or "throttle" their way to a win. I don't mean to disrespect anyone, puller or fan. It's just my observation.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 04:36AM
Form a Fan's point of view,

A modified car that is no longer street drivable = race car in any form , drag, circle track , off-road rally etc.

A modified Farm tractor that is no longer capable of working in the field = " Race tractor " in any form , pulling , racing ( like the crazy Russians ) etc.

"Race" is slang for motorsport in general. it just a word used by common folk to generalize something, Seriously find something else to cry about.

I'm 32. enjoy pulling from farm stock to unlimited mod and everything in-between. I will keep my opinion of pulling speed to myself , but I have no issues with people calling a tractor destined to compete in any given motorsport a "Race tractor"

The old guys have it right, speed and power wont get you the win every time. The real win will come from the one sitting in the seat holding the steering wheel in ANY motorsport, race , completion or what ever else you want to call it!

2 poor 2 pull :-(

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 06:06AM
Well back to the Racing Tractor, he is getting allot of lookers and if you ever hauled one on a open trailer much you would get the joke!

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 06:20AM
by your definition
A stock farm tractor, used on the farm, then PULLED on the weekend is not a 'race' tractor. If they are not used to farm with they are 'race' tractors? I don't understand.
Bottom line is they're not race tractors, they are not built to race, they're built to pull. Advertising anything as something that it's not is ignorant.

Re: "Race Tractor" for sale on classifieds September 24, 2015 08:47AM
I am common folk, and to me "race" has a very specific meaning.

I have several highly modified off road vehicles and none are for racing.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520