IH 966 build September 12, 2016 04:04AM
Hey everyone, I just had some questions about building a strong pulling 966, that I could still turn down to mow/rake hay, and occasionally use a 20 ft brush hog. I just rebuild the engine this last winter (February 2016) and while I was doing it I put it a 14" HD clutch, 6 blade fan, bigger water pump from a 1066, oil squirters for the pistons, and a T04 turbocharger. It is still at the stock 18* timing, and I turned the fuel screw out 2 turns, it runs great in the field with plenty of power and only smokes when I really get on the throttle under load. I have pulled it 3 times, in Hi-1 with the T/A up. When I pulled it I turned the fuel screw out 3 more times, making it a total of 5 screws out. Around 200 feet it is just making a small cloud of smoke and making 26 pounds of boost. I was wondering if I added an S2E turbo, turned the fuel screw all the way up, and put it at 24* of timing what kind of power will I be looking at? It still has the stock 10mm rotary pump on it btw. Also, while I'm on here I'd also like to ask if it is possible to get that lopey idle from the stock pump. I love hearing the turbo whistle along with the lope, and the puffs of black smoke as I'm just sitting there.

Re: IH 966 build September 12, 2016 02:21PM
An s2e will put you over 250 hp closer to 300 with stock pump.

Re: IH 966 build September 13, 2016 04:47AM
Will the DT414 spin an S2E?

Re: IH 966 build September 13, 2016 05:24AM
I have tried an s2e on mine and yes it will spin it but I have had better luck with a 3lm. With the s2e I was getting about the same hp and boost as the to4 and little more torque so I didn't see the need to waste the money. Set the timing to 20* turn the pump up all the way and put a 3lm or similar turbo on and have fun. I've heard the s300 works but I have experience with them but have been told they can work on a 414. What head do you have and are you using a 1066-up manifold, I'd assume you do? With a 3lm and a NA head with a 1066 manifold, fuel turned all the way up torque finger strait up timing set to 20* you should be easily 250-280hp.

Re: IH 966 build September 13, 2016 08:09AM
Ull have no problem spinning 3lm they light real easy and it's pretty hard to get under them and there not bad price I think I paid 300 for mine but that was with 200 core charge. I ran the 3lm466 last year with my old motor (which was 414 cube). And I agree I wouldn't go above 20* sense ur still using it around the home place.

Re: IH 966 build September 13, 2016 03:47PM
What do you mean by torque finger straight up?

Re: IH 966 build September 13, 2016 11:48PM
I couldn't see there be any problems with setting it at 20*. I'd just keep an eye on it on temp whise and u might throw a perometer. I know how hard 15 foot bush hog will lug a 1066 let alone a 20. And I'd have to guess ur probably pushing the 180 200 mark I couldn't see it being much more then that

Re: IH 966 build September 13, 2016 03:45PM
So if I were to set it at 20* I could still use it on the farm just fine? And yes, I'm using the N/A "H" head, and the 1066 exhaust manifold/crossover pipe from turbo to intake. Haven't set up the stock 2 stage filter, I'm just using a Spectre parts store cone type air filter to get me by for now. How much power do you think I'm putting out right now, with a fresh overhaul, 18* timing, pump turned up 5 screws, and a new T04 turbo? I haven't been able to find a pto dyno nearby so that's why I'm asking

Re: IH 966 build September 14, 2016 01:04AM
And my personal opinion if u aren't going to be using it a ton around the home place. Just some mowing and raking. I'd leave the cone air filter on it. Just make sure to clean it often.

Re: IH 966 build September 14, 2016 01:07AM
The 20ft bush hog actually isn't too bad, once I get it spinning at about 1/4 throttle I can drop it all the way down and it hardly lugs down, then I can mow weeds taller than the tractor in Hi-1 with the TA up with no problem, at about 85-90% throttle. I have installed a new water temp gauge (factory one quit working), oil temp gauge, and pyrometer. The pyrometer was a cheap Chinese one that never did work, so I don't know my EGTs, but water stayed right at and never went above 190, and oil was just about the same, staying around 180-190. I would still like to know if it is possible to get a lope from the stock pump lmao Eye Rolling

Re: IH 966 build September 14, 2016 06:21AM
Alot of ur lope comes from ur gov. We have a 1066 that might be pushing 145 150 and it has a slight lope on start up and it just has a reman 414 with screw turned a lil bit we use it for hay and feed grinding and bush hog. Im sure it's possible to get lope with just turning the screw but u could take 3 identical tractors do the exact same set up and they all could / most likely respond differently. One

Re: IH 966 build September 14, 2016 01:09AM
As dusty as it is around here there has actually been times when it was so bad we've had to clean the big factory pre-filter and dust screen in the grille at the end of each day, and I don't feel like having to clean the cone filter every hour or so lol

Re: IH 966 build September 14, 2016 06:25AM
I guess my best way to answer u question is crank the screw and find out. U take my 966 it pushing 700 hp and it doesn't lope at all. It will pop and crack and slobber around until a lil load is put on it cuz of the cam but no lope.

Re: IH 966 build September 14, 2016 09:37AM
the surge comes from governor work maybe different spring etc. I have seen the control unit arm broke loose which will give free movement of the control rod, hence surge

Re: IH 966 build September 15, 2016 07:24AM
The torque finger is on the very top of the mechanism that goes back and forth from the front and back, I don't have my book to look and see what it is actually called but I think it's called the fuel fulcrum or something of that sorts...don't forget where it was so you can return it back where it was....
Here read through this:[www.redpowermagazine.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,687, Posts: 229,792, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,955.

Our newest member Jason