Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 14, 2017 10:10AM
I'm needing some help. I was putting a block in my engine stand today and the gearbox to rotate the engine decided to take a crap on me. There is a lot of grinding, clunking, free spinning and even locking up now. Anyways... I'm trying to find a replacement gearbox for my engine stand. Looking for ideas on what other people have used for as far as a gearbox rotate the engine. No I didn't tear it apart, I got pissed and went back into the house.

Thanks for the help...

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 14, 2017 11:06AM
Know a guy that used a combine final drive on an engine stand. Has had an 855 Cummins on it, so it will turn a heavy one.

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 14, 2017 11:45AM
We used a 60:1 gear box from global industrial they have several to choose from

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 14, 2017 12:30PM
For tractor size engines you want to be around 100 to 1 gear ratio. Sounds like a lot. But I've used enough and built some to know. Last one I did I used an assembly from an old farm elevator crank unit. That was about 40 to 1. Not near enough. Had to add chain and sprockets to get it close to that 100 to 1 area. As I recall the "Revolver" Owatonna tools makes is about 96 to 1. It's what mama Deere sold in the 80's and I had 619's on it. Worked good.

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 14, 2017 12:36PM
International manure spreader gearbox on the one I built.

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 14, 2017 01:59PM
How about a center pivot irrigation wheel drive? Is that too fast?

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 15, 2017 12:13AM
I believe a lot of the pivot gear boxes are around 52 to 1 ratio. I would think that they would work just fine.

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 15, 2017 02:59AM
silo winch or silo unloader gear box

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 16, 2017 10:33AM
What about the gear box for the landing legs on a semi trailer ?

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 16, 2017 01:28PM
I had a landing leg gearbox from a semi trailer. It was scrapped real quick. It would not hold a 466 block in one place, it would free spin about 30 degrees. We had a couple close calls, so it was gone before someone got hurt.

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 16, 2017 12:13PM
I have a Zimmatic pivot wheel gearbox on my engine stand, it's held complete engines & T/A housings with zero trouble.

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 19, 2017 06:23AM
I Was thinking about using a gear box off of a badger silo unloader ( the winch gearbox I think it's 75:1 ratio ) Doe you guys think it would be heavy enough!!!

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. February 19, 2017 12:37PM
The ratio will probably work. Depending on weather you use bearings or bushings. How well you keep the load balanced as you rotate it. Will it hold the load? Depends on how strong the gearbox is. Not the ratio. The 75 to 1 ratio I would think is enough to prevent it from "free wheeling " as the load goes over center. Keep in mind. The balance on it changes dramatically from no engine head present to one present. Same for a clutch assembly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2017 12:52PM by 3010JD.

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. April 19, 2022 07:12AM
Google- Blocktissery

Re: Gearbox for Engine Stand. April 30, 2022 05:30AM
Hello. I'm Bradley Smith and I am the inventor of BLOCKTISSERY. It is a set of gears that will bolt onto the engine stand without welding. It can be operated with a drill. I am selling it for 99.95$ plus tax. This is brand new so I'm still working on the website.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,756, Posts: 229,913, Members: 3,335.
This forum: Topics: 37,092, Posts: 226,013.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM