4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 12:08AM
I saw a video on another forum of a 4440 w/cab folding in half while pulling. Looks like the flywheel cut it in half. Really looks bad and hope the driver is ok. I don't know how to transfer the video here. It's on Agtalk in the machinery forum under This would wreck your day.

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 02:12AM
Looks like there was an accident in New Jersey a few dsys ago too killing a young man, www.nj.com. Search for farm accident. Sounds as if had adjusted injection pump and it possibly ran away. There was a fb post on it this morning

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 02:17AM
Not sure if this is the same one your guys are referring too, this one happend last weekend in Laurierville Quebec Canada. I was not there but the news report states that the driver suffered a few cuts from the broken glass, thank god no one else was injured. Tractor had a blanket. Clutch exploded.

Here's a link to the video tied to the news report

[www.facebook.com]

2 poor 2 pull :-(

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 03:01AM
I've been a pulling fan and or puller for almost 50 years. Accidents like this are just the reason I won't go to non-sanctioned farm classes anymore. Without strict rules that are enforced, tragedies like this are going to happen. There is a reason for steel flywheels, SFI approved clutches, clutch blankets or steel shielding. Even if the puller thinks it'll never happen to them, without safety equipment it will eventually. You can make all the excuses in the world, but there's no substitute for safety!!!

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 03:31AM
If your tractor needs to "spool up" before pulling, it isn't farm stock and should absolutely have safety equipment! And there were people standing way to close to the track at that pull.

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 04:26AM
here's a link to a story and different video. Have to translate it from French, but still....

Tractor Splits

I worry about this every time I go to a brush event. My general feeling is that we are one bad accident (multiple fatalities) away from going either 3mph or 33mph, and no in-between stuff legally able to pull. Keep that in mind folks when putzing around with your governors...

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 06:43AM
Bryan Lively
here's a link to a story and different video. Have to translate it from French, but still....

Tractor Splits

I worry about this every time I go to a brush event. My general feeling is that we are one bad accident (multiple fatalities) away from going either 3mph or 33mph, and no in-between stuff legally able to pull. Keep that in mind folks when putzing around with your governors...

Hi Brian, that was the same video and article i had found, i didnt post the article figuring i would be the only on here able to read it. I never found an English Media story about it. I hope this serves as a good reminder to all about the importance of safety equipment.

2 poor 2 pull :-(

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 07:19AM
This is an extremely scary video. Let's make a list of what you can see- older sled probably without the some of the modern safety equipment (probably no emergency shut off, backup secondary chain- probably not, ability to drop the box to brake?) There are temporary metal barriers with temporary square cement blocks spaced along in front of them- no continuous cement or heavy metal barrier between the people and the tractors. The temporary barriers are very close to the pulling track. People are right up to the barriers in the line of being run over, catching the flying parts, or being burned in the event of a fire; in spite of there being empty seats in the stands. I did not see a flagman but assuming one was there he has no place to escape the track if needed without trying to jump the barrier and could get crushed against in a runaway incident.

Then what you only can see when the tractor comes apart is that the stock parts are trying to handle horsepower well beyond stock and failure of some part is going to happen sooner or later. In this case by luck and chance no one died or was seriously injured. Before there is a next time some of the organizers of these non sanctioned events need to think a little about why there are all the safety rules at a sanctioned event. I am a fan and the last thing I ever want to see is someone on the track hurt be it a driver, photographer, or track official (which can still happen with modern safety protection) and certainly never want to see fans hurt or worse. If I had been to that event I would have been in the furthest bleacher away from the action for my safety. Standing by those insufficient barriers is sadly foolish and very dangerous.

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 26, 2017 12:33PM
Another so called Farm Stock. Yeah, right. Try another by-line. One that is honest. This tractor certainly was not stock under the hood when you saw the newspaper story photo of broken tractor loaded on the trailer.

Unfortunately, too many of these types of pulls are even promoted on this board. I'm not coming down on the board owner or moderators.
It is just that this kind of class is going, if not already occurring, to give the overall sport of pulling a bad reputation, despite all the safety rules and overall safety that organized high horsepower sanctioned pulling achieves.

And we are under 12 hours away from some of these so called Farm Stock pulls to occur 30 miles from here at a very well recognized national event. I won't go because of the lack of safety rules in Farm Stock. Besides, the national classes of the twin track setup, are on the grandstand side with very little buffer to the large crowd. If a major accident happens here, it certainly will likely receive major press play. Can our pulling sport really accept let alone handle and deal with such negativity and the resulting consequences? Lawsuits galore will likely be only one aspect.

I think it is well past time that promoters rethink having these so called Farm Stock classes. I got blasted a year ago over a topic like this and I likely will again. But we need to look past our own selfish interest for the sake of the best well fare of the pulling sport.

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 27, 2017 08:00AM
This Western NY GUY,, OK OK OK we GET IT , this accident was truly a dumb event on this very poorly educated guy ,, something like this should never happen [ unless your dumb as this dude, then duh duh JOHN DEERE DUH DUH ,

Re: 4440 breaking in half July 27, 2017 11:48AM
I get what is being said about brush pulls and lack of safety equipment and rules, and I do agree there are certain tractors that are no where near stock going down the track at double and triple the horsepower of stock. However in the Hot Farm/Altered Farm/ Pro Farm classes I pull in there are stringent safety rules. Side shields, steel flywheels, scatter blankets, roll cages, firesuit, and helmets just to name a few. There are certain groups that are trying to put safety first so that the 4440 Deere incident doesn't happen.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,721, Posts: 229,844, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,971.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro