34 Radials vs 38 biased June 17, 2018 01:10AM
I have a tractor in the Hot Rod V8 tractor class. (Big Block). We’re allowe to run cut 18.4 x 38s max. My tractor has a gearing issue so I can’t run 38s and be competitive. The question is, if I go from a 38 biased to a 34 Radial, will I still be unable to turn them at the speed I need to to get my momentum going? I’ve never run Radials before.

I’m leaning toward having them professionally Double Cut.

What I Know:

Can’t turn 38 biased (I think the Rolling Circumference is just too large) - These are bar cut by hand

CAN turn 34 biased and do respectable but would like to do better (Give up grip at the hard pulling end) - Also bar cut by hand

Can’t change gearing this year without losing my whole season

Would love to hear that the 34 Radials are the way to go and that I’m not losing much by going to them. But I want honesty too. Am I thinking correctly or am I all messed up?

Any input from someone smarter than me is appreciated. Thanks guys

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 17, 2018 02:36PM
ttt.

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 17, 2018 02:41PM
Might try finding some 20.8-34's. Little tricky, but they're out there.

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 17, 2018 02:57PM
I watch your class quite a bit.younz gotta run 38 radicals to be consistent, stick with what you have,get 38s,gears with a 1 tooth difference, that'll give the best choice for the wwwiiiidddeeee quality of track conditions you see,and some more motor...the class as a whole is lacking adequate hearing for the tracks younz see

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 17, 2018 03:03PM
Black Stack, I like that idea. Unfortunately we’re not allowed 20.8s. Have to be 18.4s.

I think we may have to re-gear in the offseason but I was hoping the 34s would be the ticket...If for nothing else, this year.

You guys don’t think I should look for a set of 34s then?

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 17, 2018 05:24PM
I wouldnt,youll be looking for 38s this time next season

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 17, 2018 11:09PM
Do some homework on tires. Brands of 18.4x34's or any size can vary a lot in circumference and width. This is really true with radials. Metric radials seem to be wider than non metric and would still have 18.4 on the side wall with some brands. If you have a good farm tire dealer they can help you spec. out brands.

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 18, 2018 02:54AM
I think your on the right track for the short term, the 34 with a good cut could be the difference maker you r seeking. Don't know what rear you r using but
34's sometimes make the gears just right.

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 18, 2018 06:07AM
It’s an 88 rear end with the Row Crop Ring and Pinion. It did well with 34s before. But nervous to try Radial 34s. But kinda want to take the plunge too. If I can find a set, I may give it a try. I guess there’s only one real way to find out. But I wanted opinions before I did. But sounds like there’s lots of schools of thought.

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 18, 2018 08:10AM
I pull in a small block V8 class, we have a couple of guys that run 18.4X30 tires who are very competitive, couple others with 18.4X34 that run well, too. Most run 38's. You need to know your gear ratios to figure what kind of wheel speed you are going to have. The shorter tires might let you run a taller gear and actually end up with better wheel speed than you have now if you can get on top of your motor better. The guys running the smaller tires in the clubs I pull with have a little less motor, but can turn the tires pretty hard. Not quite as much speed, but pretty close to the guys with taller tires. Double cuts should be easier to spin to get your wheel speed up early than the bar cuts.

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 18, 2018 11:45AM
When funds are not a limiting factor, pullers have 1.5 % between gears,I would be happy with 12 - 15 percent as most "stock" trannies from the factory are 30 - 35 %,even the famous IH torque is too much of a drop.So with that said,38's versus 34's are a "narrow " choice gear change,however tracks vary so much that then on a loose non power track you will be at the same disadvantage.With all the rain this season,I see many tight sticky wet darned hard pulling tracks in many places.Tires,air pressure and hitch height are all tools at your finger tips,use them alone or in combination to get the choice for the moment,but then the ability to "READ" the track is very useful and important.A longer footprint(taller tire),applies torque differeanly than a shorter tire,hence being able to turn it easier,lower hitch can do the same.Pulling at a weight less than the class spec is also a great way to add power without any other change.IMHO if you change gears(physicaslly change tranny or rearend gears,not shifting gears) without close choices on demand you only move the problem.

Re: 34 Radials vs 38 biased June 18, 2018 12:37PM
Plum Krazy and Dirtfarmer. Thanks for the insights. Everything your saying is making sense. Plum, tor last sentence is exactly my concern. I could spend all kinds of money to re-gear it and still be wrong. I feel like I’m getting close. I know I’m in the ballpark with the 34s so maybe I need to exhaust all of my options with that before I try anything else. Thanks for all of the insight everyone. You gave me exactly what I wanted. Food for thought and options. Some things that I didn’t even consider.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,686, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,898.

Our newest member JD_8520