Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 26, 2019 01:49PM
When I watch the NTPA results I see one of three things, a puller either get a distance for their hook, or after their name is a SC or an HB. Why, why do they have a puller that can not get their tractor or truck to perform or in some cases even hardly run at all drag their vehicle out on the track to bump the sled. It is my understanding that when a puller bumps the sled they get "hook" points vs a puller that is a SC scratch. Who wins from this dumb rule, not the puller who could have been loaded and on the road so they can repair their breakage instead of wasting one or in some cases three days so they can bump the sled. The fan who watches a vehicle that is clearly not able to run being pulled out on the track and backed to the sled so the driver can fire the truck or tractor up on 3 cylinders just to bump the sled. The promoter that is now watching their show run into the morning hours. Can someone please tell me why this is a good rule. A rule that penalizes the pullers, bores the fans and frustrates the promoters.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 01:54PM by Dick Morgan.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 26, 2019 02:12PM
Good question. When our Engine lost a rod and piston last year at Findlay. We almost pulled that rod off the crank and put the oil pan back on for our final hook of the season. Just to bump the sled and get our points. Not just for last years point but the SF class has wrap around points for the Enderle and those are the ones that we was most concerned about. But we decided against for safety reasons and so the crowd didn't have an interrupted show.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 26, 2019 03:44PM
Many times the puller doesn't realize he or she has an equipment issue till they get hooked to the sled.
Most HB notes are that way.
Only a few are due to points issues.
So don't just ASSume when you see a HB it is just a points thing.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 27, 2019 12:24AM
I believe that if you re-read my post you will see that I was talking about tractors or trucks that knowingly are not running yet have to stay to get their hook points

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 26, 2019 11:12PM
I have no problem with the Hooked Broke rule. It's a traditional points rule that protects against the "I just don't feel like it." Things like this, and getting laps in after a wreck for points, used to really matter and the efgort was appreciated. It doesn't seem to be anymore and that's too bad.

CP

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 27, 2019 02:51AM
All the more reason for the rules to have a sweeping change. Cost of a puller, travel time for a puller, waste of time as was said for pullers, promoters and the crowd. I believe rain outs need to have a serious look at to. I work construction and weather is a constant factor, but to run people 5, 6 or even 10 or 12 hours because you think it will happen and not pull just to get rain out points is crazy.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 27, 2019 06:08AM
A few years ago at Henry, IL I forget which class, but two tractors that were broke and just there for the hook points drew back to back hooks, and we had to sit there while both of them backed up and hooked to the sled to do nothing. I thought it was dumb then and I still do. What did that accomplish for the promoter, the sanctioning body, or for those pullers? Not a damn thing. Go home and get your machine fixed then come back when it will run.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 27, 2019 02:48AM
Dick you nailed it on the head.

If it is a multiple hook even and you break. You should still get points for the hook without bumping the sled.

It does nothing but slow down the show. Today's crowd has no patience and need action non stop. Otherwise they will be on their phone looking for something else to do.

And the broken tractor can get back to a shop and start accessing, ordering parts, and repairing the damage. Instead of staying at the event and losing time to bump the sled when they could have more time to get repaired for the next even.

I think this was on the NTPA agenda for making it a rule at one time. Not sure why it got shot down.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 27, 2019 05:10AM
How often does this actually happen?

Rich

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. June 27, 2019 08:19AM
At multi day events, if you break on the first day, you get the minimum points for the following event hook whether you hook and bump or not or whether you stay (I have first hand experience with this). The issue is if there are more than 15 in the class, then the extra points become the issue. Those 5 or so "bump"points might make the difference at the end of the year. However, your view is well worth examining. The other poster who commented about the "I just don't feel like it"--how does that get policed? Does someone have to verify that a rod is hanging out the pan; or a valve positioned through a piston, etc. Let's say, there are ten in a class (DSS a good example). Competitor A has a fair run the first day, say third (worth 28 points). A claims breakage (whether there is breakage or not) for 10th place (worth 21 points) and don't have to hook so I leave. That is 49 total points for the event (1 pass). Competitor B places first (30 points) on first day, then has a crappy pass--misread track, missed setup, etc. on second day and gets ninth (22 points). That is 52 points--a three point lead which is very surmountable (and two passes on motor). The first competitor beats the system--one pass and only a three point deficit. They can make that up with the advantage of being home early, still getting the same pay with less wear and tear on the equipment. He should have to have some sort of deterrent to not make this scenario a reality, don't you think?. What happens if all ten claim breakage for the second day--all leave and split the points available without having to stay and/or hook? How you think the fans or promoter would feel about that? Not saying it would happen, but, these are the scenarios that have to be considered. A few years back, there was a competitor that did this very thing--came to events, entered his vehicle, scratched before the show, got points (and pay where appropriate) and the vehicle was broken the entire time. Just offering perspectives. Maybe an agenda item will be submitted to the NTPA Board to at least address the issue once again. JW

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. July 03, 2019 02:55AM
The Hooked and broke rule is all about points. If I can record a MEASURABLE distance I get points. If I scratch, I don't get points. Yes in the olden times I could show up get registered, get armbands, go thru tech and NEVER hook to the sled. I would get all the benefits of the event, but not points. Taking up a pit parking place was a concern at some events. I don't think that competitors can game the system. Its been my experience that an announcer has to explain the importance of hooking and bumping the sled. I can think of only one time when at the last hook of the season, the last hook in the class and that competitor all ready had wrapped up the points championship did a bump of the sled was booed. This competitor had no breakage and if scratched that one session, would still have claimed the points title. As a matter of fact from a promoter stand point, he should have not even come to the line. It was anti climatic to just bump the sled. I contributed to the booing by boosting about the champion coming to the sled, folks in for a real treat, checkout this hook.....then he bumped the sled. That was a time in pulling's history when pullers had to be entertainers.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. July 03, 2019 04:50AM
Not to get off topic. You say pullers need to be entertainers, yet NTPA disqualifies a puller when they truly are being such. To DQ a puller for losing their doors, body panels, etc. (none of which are a safety concern). I was at Mason Mi last summer when the 4wd truck lost its doors. The crowd loved it. And they booed NTPA for throwing him out. He would’ve had 4th place if I remember correctly. And we have all seen the nice run that the Bacon Bits mini had a Preble. Yet another dumb DQ.

NHRA doesn’t DQ John Force for blowing a body off. They know that it’s entertainment. And they don’t want to upset their fans. Yet, NTPA seems just keep going the other way and not care about the fans nor the pullers. I even put my old NTPA hats on eBay. Don’t need that crap in my house.

I used to be a long time pulling fan. Now you’ll find me in the stands at the local drag strip (US 131) until further notice.

Clarence A.

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. July 03, 2019 06:41AM
I think points is just dumb anyway..if they were done away with it wouldn't bother me

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. July 03, 2019 08:30AM
If there were no points races in any sort of motorsport you would see a dramatic dropoff in participation, especially at events outside the core of a sport. NASCAR would be a truly southern sport again and you would have pockets of NHRA competition on the coasts and midwest. Points and points races matter.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Just one more dumb pulling rule. July 03, 2019 01:30PM
That has be the most ridiculous statement ever put on a pulling board! It's a show for the fans, and competition for the pullers, otherwise known as competitors!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,620, Posts: 229,676, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,065, Posts: 225,891.

Our newest member JD_8520