Two chains September 08, 2019 01:44AM
I think that having two chains (like PPL, OSTPA etc) is completely stupid. If the first chain breaks, the second chain isn’t tight so then it will go under the same stress that broke the first chain. It also slows down the show when the second chain gets stuck. There were times last night at Wooster where there was 5 minutes between runs because the second chain was stuck. I feel bad for the hooking volunteers when it gets stuck.

Re: Two chains September 08, 2019 02:09AM
Yea I agree.The lower hitch for the 2nd chain is very light duty from what I've seen on some tractors. I don't have data to back it up but I think it could cause some other safety issues.

Re: Two chains September 08, 2019 02:47AM
The second hitch that has been added to some of these trucks & tractors just barely holds the hook up.

Re: Two chains September 11, 2019 01:37AM
The secondary hook was used as an safety mandate for indoor pulling. The NTPA looked at this back in the late 1980's and then determined that the use of this was for indoor short tracks. It was not a part of NTPA rules due to the "short track" or indoor track nature of this secondary safety device.

Re: Two chains September 08, 2019 04:03AM
I totally agree that second chain slows down show and really doesn’t increase safety. A lot of fans were upset with how slow that show was last night at Wooster.

Re: Two chains September 08, 2019 04:10AM
Wooster area needs a twv annual memorial pull

Re: Two chains September 08, 2019 04:23AM
was told it was more of a necessary feature for indoor pulls where you dont have much room at the finish end? curious what you mean by getting stuck? should be the same hole dimension as the main hitch? I would think?

Re: Two chains September 08, 2019 06:45AM
Dirt pile in front of sled, puller backs into it and jams it. Happens a LOT.

Re: Two chains September 09, 2019 05:02PM
The unhooker on the PPL western series, (a female by the way), has the Flagger keep the competitors from backing into the pile (if there is one), and has the sled back the pull vehicle back on top of the pile.
Much faster than messing with stuck hooks !
However, she is not a volunteer! She gets paid! And as good as she is, whatever she gets is well worth it !!!!
She can, and does unhook 2 tracks!!!
She is married, and I wouldn't mess with her hubby!!!

Re: Two chains September 08, 2019 08:36AM
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Two chains September 10, 2019 01:27AM
I was always told the second hitch was not there to keep the tractor hooked to the sled. It was designed to almost pull upward and bring the front end down in the instance of a chain breaking while the front wheels were high up in the air. I know you’d think the front end would come down anyway, and in a lower wheel speed class it probably would. However, if a LSS broke loose, I could almost see it trying to carry the front end a bit whipping the tires as hard as they do with so little front end weight. Maybe not, but the second hitch is a pretty easy thing to put on the prevent it.

Re: Two chains September 10, 2019 02:35PM
Perfect example-this year at scheid diesel extravaganza there was a 3.0 truck with a hitch failure and the safety didn't even remotely slow it down. Truck almost took out the laser guy at the end of the track thanks to the SAD LACK of shutdown room IMO. Everyone was very lucky the driver managed to get it turned and down out of the way. I don't care how heavy you build that second hitch, its one heck of a shock when a 8000+ pound vehicle breaks loose. Anyone that thinks its going to do anything to stop it is just kidding themselves.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,686, Posts: 229,788, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,952.

Our newest member Jason