Traction control September 30, 2019 02:43PM
Would someone please define it?

Re: Traction control September 30, 2019 06:07PM
:really: ?

Re: Traction control October 01, 2019 01:31AM
Just personal opinion as I interpret the current general rules (albeit vague). Traction control would be any electrical or mechanical component that is not directly activated by the driver during a pass.

If a driver is making a pass and feels that there is too much wheel spin and applies a brake(s) (whether it is by pushing the brakes with their foot or pushing a button to activate) to slow it down, that is not traction control. The driver's judgement and reactions are operating the vehicle. "The human element" is controlling the machine.

Now, if a competitor has sensors (drive shaft speed, wheel speed or...…) that gives readings to a form of control unit that manages an aspect of the engine (fuel, timing, water, etc,) or machine (brakes, etc,.) and makes changes during a pass with out the driver performing a task. I feel that is traction control.

It has been a hot button for several years and a lot of guys have their own definition of what traction control really is. I would say that anything that the driver doesn't directly control or "activate" is traction control. The most recent rendition that I have heard is that competitors have a second set of brake calipers that are separate of the pedals and are connected to an accumulator. The brake pressure is preset to load the drive line and keep the wheel speed a little slower off the line to allow the tractor to hook up and then the driver releases the pressure when he feels the tractor is hooked. To me, as long as the driver is making the decision to release that pressure, it isn't traction control. If the driver is creating some setting that is out of his control during the pass that releases that pressure at a designated time, it is traction control.

I have spoken with a couple of GN competitors in different automotive powered classes that didn't run traction control and the opinion I got from them was traction control will make the difference of 1st or 3rd place in top running vehicles. It won't take a consistently 10th or 12th place vehicle and put it in the winner's circle.

For now, calling someone out on traction control is difficult because most rules just say "no traction control." Until sanctioning bodies can come up with a clear set of rules/definition of what traction control is AND a legitimate way to tech for it, we will continue to have this conversation and whisper in the dark corners about who is using it.

Re: Traction control October 01, 2019 04:30AM
So, based on this definition:

"If a driver is making a pass and feels that there is too much wheel spin and applies a brake(s) (whether it is by pushing the brakes with their foot or pushing a button to activate) to slow it down, that is not traction control. The driver's judgement and reactions are operating the vehicle. "The human element" is controlling the machine."

The human is creating the traction controlling element, then add this to the mix:

"Now, if a competitor has sensors (drive shaft speed, wheel speed or...…) that gives readings to a form of control unit that manages an aspect of the engine (fuel, timing, water, etc,) or machine (brakes, etc,.) and makes changes during a pass with out the driver performing a task. I feel that is traction control."

Engine management device controls the traction controlling element.

So what if I have all the sensors reporting data that I can read in real time, and use electrical/mechanical means of traction controlling device that the human is in control of..........what do we call that? Legal?

Just saying......where does it end?

Re: Traction control October 01, 2019 05:13AM
Go for it. By the time you're cognizant of it and react, it'll be too late and I'd argue this "feedback" system will never beat an experienced puller with a good natural feel, much less a defacto system.

Re: Traction control October 01, 2019 06:40AM
That is a valid question. Now, I would like to clarify that I did not present that as a definition but as an interpretation. The looming issue is that there is not a clear definition by any of the current truck and tractor pulling sanctioning bodies.

But, before data loggers were available competitors had tachometers, temperature gauges, boost gauges, etc, and operators could use those visual inputs to make decisions on driving. What would be the difference between an old school tach and the tach that is displayed through your data logger? In my opinion, nothing other than it is fancier.

Some may recall Benny McKinnon on "Old Faithful" DSS but I remember that Benny activated the water injection by pulling on a cable. The man was VERY busy holding the steering wheel, operating the throttle and the water system. He could have easily been putting water in or out based on track conditions. Traction control?

The debate will go on for the equivalent of forever until one of the sanctioning bodies put more words in the rule book other than "no traction control." Besides, there are things that are already defined in a rule book, cubic inches, super charger over drive, turbo size, etc, that tech people either don't check, don't have time to check, don't know how to check or just don't care about where a competitor can and will put one past you. Should probably figure out how to keep the simple stuff in check before debating whether or not Pandora's box is shaved.

Re: Traction control October 01, 2019 05:40PM
common sense says that a driver using the trottle to gain traction by pedalling it -- IS NOT USING "TRACTION CONTROL",however in the true sense of the word he or she is !!!!!!!!!! So come on now people,extra added non essential devices for the sole purpose of controlling traction,not for safety reasons, need to be considered traction control.

Re: Traction control October 02, 2019 02:07AM
Then that is what the rule needs to read. All that is being done is nit-picking on what "I feel's" on the key board. If it is so flipping important to everyone, put your idea of what traction control is, make a motion at a rules meeting and see if you can make it a real rule! "No traction control" literally is the dumbest way to write a rule. It just as well not be in there. If all you are going to do is complain about some one having something that you can't understand on their vehicle and they are beating you and you want to cry "it's traction control" you don't have a leg to stand on. If you don't want traction control, make a L E G I T I M A T E written rule suggestion and be part of the solution and not part of the freakin' whine cellar.

Re: Traction control October 02, 2019 03:22AM
comeonnow,- rules are made to be broken,team's always find a way around a rule,-- always have always will,with data loggers legal,it is all there to use,no matter what rule is implimented,written ,printed,implieled or otherwise. I am not whining,-could care less,just stating facts,and if I did wine,I want some good crackers and cheese plezz.

Re: Traction control October 05, 2019 12:44PM
Traction control is also on a night you pull on a junk track and someone fowls a plug and wins

Re: Traction control October 05, 2019 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,676, Posts: 229,778, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason