Fuel Cooling February 01, 2020 03:02AM
Looking for some ideals on cooling fuel down. Is it worth trying or better off left alone, not tying to reinvent the wheel...

Re: Fuel Cooling February 01, 2020 01:06PM
I know they make a product called a “can cooler”? It’s designed for that purpose. Never tried one but it’s one to consider.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 02, 2020 04:35AM
Thanks may give it a try

Re: Fuel Cooling February 02, 2020 10:57PM
I have heard about people running hot fuel, and having to pass the fuel " styrofoam cup" test. So when your talking about cooling the fuel are you talking about cooling the fuel just has you want the air as cool/cold as possible. Is there very much of this going on?

Re: Fuel Cooling February 02, 2020 11:47PM
much more so with gasoline usage

Re: Fuel Cooling February 03, 2020 12:19AM
So not as much with Diesel fuel?

Re: Fuel Cooling February 03, 2020 12:35AM
vapor pressure is so much different,

Re: Fuel Cooling February 03, 2020 12:39AM
Hot fuel Refers to additives bring in the fuel that are illegal. Not temperature !

Re: Fuel Cooling February 04, 2020 12:39AM
If you're running a intercooler, put a heat exchanger in the bottom of the ice box and run your return fuel though it.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 05, 2020 03:52PM
Well I guess if you get colder fuel it is more dense and get more fuel into the cylinder, I don't know if a little can cooler would cool it enough for it to matter much. Put some in a freezer and throw it in quick before dyno.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 05, 2020 04:52PM
Went to Google, did some searching, read some research abstracts on diesel fuel temperature and performance. I might be wrong but the egg-headed, college-educated part of my brain suggests that cooling diesel fuel may allow for less pump timing, as thermally "hot" diesel fuel contributes to earlier ignition in the combustion process, per a couple different sources I read.

It makes sense because the warmer diesel fuel is as it enters the combustion chamber, the quicker it gets to combustion temperature and can affect the desired "true" timing on the injection pump.

An example: a diesel engine with a ton of timing in it, say, 55 degrees BTDC, may run fine at 50 degrees Fahrenheit (air and actual initial fuel temp). But, when fuel and air temp are increased to 105 degrees, like on a hot day in July, the engine might be apt to run backwards.

This is a good topic, I enjoy reading about this kind of stuff, even though I may be 100% wrong.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Fuel Cooling February 07, 2020 01:27AM
That may be the case, but the biggest thing is just to help keep the plungers and barrels happier.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 07, 2020 06:21AM
Guys, you are missing a critical point, Think what happens to fuel temperature when the fuel is forced through the injector at what- 5000 to 20,000 pounds? Pop-off at 4500 pounds rapidly increases at higher rpm. Electronic injection on street diesels is around 30,000 pounds max. The fuel will no longer be cool by the time it is injected. I tried putting ice water in water injection tank on the dyno, with just 800 to 900 psi water pressure, made less than 5 hp difference.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 09, 2020 07:20PM
I used to work for John Deere and did dyno testing at the end of the line. We would see horsepowers go up whenever the temperature went down. It wasn’t much but it was notable and consistent. My boss said it was because the cold fuel kept the internals of the injection pump cool and tight, so they were more efficient.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 09, 2020 07:25PM
Just to clarify... we were pulling tractors in for test that had been parked outdoors for random audits.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 09, 2020 11:24PM
Mike, it wasn't the fuel, it was the cold air. It was like having a ice water intercooler on the tractor. Compressing any fluid raises the temperature of that fluid. (air is a fluid also) The more you compress it, the higher the temperature.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 10, 2020 02:36AM
yes, but the air was coming from inside the building. It wasn't cold coolant either because we would let them all get up to operating temp before testing. the only thing cold was the fuel.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 10, 2020 05:15AM
While I agree the fuel will still be "cool", I can all but guarantee that is not ultimately what influenced the results. As discussed, the pressurization of the fuel on delivery will have negated any cooling benefits it experienced earlier.

While you are saying it wasn't pulling outside air, the density of said air is relevant to the density of the outside air.

Air density alone will be the ultimate influence on the HP number at the time.

But I'm sure this ridiculous topic will have some running to the dyno with their beer cooler trying to buy more horsepower.

Re: Fuel Cooling February 10, 2020 07:38PM
Because cool fuel is slightly denser than hot fuel, it carries more BTUs per pound of fuel. This is a well known fact, just google HOT FUEL in Arizona truck stops. The article talks about hot fuel (stored above ground) at ambient temperatures 100 degrees+ is lighter per gallon than cold fuel. The lighter gallon of fuel will get you fewer miles down the road. Because most diesel pullers can easily over fuel to cool cylinder temps, a cooler fuel will have no impact on cylinder temps IMHO.
PS You CANNOT compress a liquid.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520