I never thought about this February 27, 2020 07:29AM
I was enjoying a picture of a banter 7 engine mod and I did some math. I've read they made about $1500 horsepower back then so that makes 10,500 a top of the line PPL mod with a mere 4 8-71s would make about that today wouldn't it?

Re: I never thought about this February 27, 2020 09:29AM
The top PPL 4-engine mods probably make more than that. It's pretty crazy.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: I never thought about this February 27, 2020 09:55AM
I've heard they make between 2500 to 3000hp each.

Re: I never thought about this February 27, 2020 10:26AM
It's mind-boggling to think about the current horsepower if it were tied to a 11.200# Unlimited, even a 9500# or 9200# chassis and the ability to add more engines. They would be unstoppable.

Check this out if you haven't watched it:

I suspect with today's horsepower and those weight limits the sleds of that time would be "race" sleds without technically being that style of sled...and again, largely unstoppable without some ingenuity.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: I never thought about this February 27, 2020 02:43PM
I'd think using the old weights a tractor with today's engines,a tr with 25,000 hp could be expected in a few yrs

Re: I never thought about this February 27, 2020 03:31PM
patches
I'd think using the old weights a tractor with today's engines,a tr with 25,000 hp could be expected in a few yrs

6 screw motors @ 4000hp each = 24,000hp

We're already on the edge if those weights were in play.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: I never thought about this February 28, 2020 01:28AM
The sleds are already having difficulty stopping the Heavy Unlimited tractors. There are some aspects of these tractors that scare me already, I'm not even talking about the incident at the NFMS. If you watch these tractors closely the ones making the big HP are very much on the edge of self destruction at times. I asked this question in our rules meeting last year; When is enough enough? I got ridiculed for that question but I stand by the question. Are we going to HP ourselves out of existence in the not to distant future? My opinion is that a lot of classes need to take a step back in order to survive, the guys that spend money will still spend money,the guys that always rise to the top will still rise to the top but the hope is that they will still have a place to pull.

S'no Farmer

Re: I never thought about this February 28, 2020 02:02AM
I couldn't agree more. We talk about growing the sport and in some cases an individual class and what does pulling do, add more cost and make it more difficult for a growing number of pullers to make those necessary changes to stay competitive. And the facts are that we never want to acknowledge is that no matter how much more HP a class has they still go 320 feet and they still travel the same speed down the track as they did 10 years ago. Allowing screw blowers in the LT Unlimited mod class was one of the most foolish decisions that I have seen in a long time. I don't even understand why the pullers themselves would want it. It limits them in so many ways. They can't move up to the Mod class, they can not hook State or local classes, it makes no sense. So in my opinion the sport is not growing because of the lack of leadership. And in fact are not leaders at all but rather followers.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2020 02:24AM by Dick Morgan.

Re: I never thought about this February 28, 2020 02:24AM
Preach it, Todd. You are exactly right !

Example - Colin Ross, and mind you, I have nothing against the Ross Family, at all.
Just using the aspect of having the Hyper aftermarket block finally approved by NTPA. Under the pretenses, according to the SSD puller(s) that was lobbying for the Hyper block approval, that the Hyper block would stay together much better than an original IH block, thus it was a reliability factor, in order to contain the current horsepower.

Well, what a crock of lie that was. (And not surprising!) Colin recently stated in a recent Pulloff thread that his dad won NFMS with 2200 horsepower. Their engine today is over 5000. Okay, kudos, for the technological engine performance.

But what did you really gain? Maybe a little faster speed on the track?! But with all the extra $$$$ invested, was that really worth it? For a few years, Jody and Charlotte stated that nobody knows who they are. Well, about everybody certainly now know who you are. Again, I ask, "But with all the extra $$$$ invested, was that really worth it?"

The SSD class has not expanded on local, state, region, GN levels. In fact, it has continued to decline in number of competitors. Obviously, all those extra egotistical $$ invested, has had an effect of, 'If I can't beat them, I will outspend them'.

I may be wrong, but, I truly believe that is not what pulling is all about.
And I am not against improving a pulling vehicle performance, but as Todd stated, "When is enough enough?"

And when it comes to the 3 GN Mod classes, the poorest show is the Heavy UNL, because too often, they cannot hook all that power to the track, let alone consistently in the low 30 mph actual ground speed. Just think what would happen if another '98 Fort Recovery - Walsh accident occurred today !!!

And yet in the great wisdom of WPI, they want to eliminate the 50 year tradition of the stalwart founding of the true Modified (7500# today) class. Duh!!!!! That is the only GN Mod class that provides a consistency.

So, back to "When is enough enough?" in order to keep our pulling sport alive, thriving and well.
Overall, life is a set of limitiations. Why do we think that pulling should not be subject to more limitations than it already is?

Re: I never thought about this March 02, 2020 06:19AM
Saw 6 Unlimted pulls in person and streamed a few more last year. Didn't see a bad show in person all year! Couple streamed pulls they had a hard time but that can be weather related, and sled setting as well. Sled settings can ruin ANY class. Some of the runs Joe made last year were worth the cost to get in by themselves!

Re: I never thought about this March 02, 2020 01:08PM
Very well stated Sno Farmer!

The dirt hasn't got any better to hold the hp.

Some track additives are used by a few track builders for retaining moisture (one by VP and one by an ag chemical company).

Re: I never thought about this March 02, 2020 02:26AM
Imagine this scenario, someone with a huge budget builds 4 AJPE 5.3 bore space hemi's. They will easily make 673 cu.in. Using the new screw blower O.D. rule they put some whipple 12L screw superchargers on them. 5-6000 H.P. is not out of the question per engine. Actually proline has a turbocharged hemi making that now.

Re: I never thought about this March 03, 2020 05:05AM
So at the coffee shop this morning. A buddy showed us all in the NTPA rule book that the GN Mini Rods can run 2 spark plugs. Great move! Let's ruin another great class

Re: I never thought about this March 03, 2020 05:29AM
One or more of the big money competitors get their way again.
When is it going to end NTPA??? Do you think that this move is going to help the sport? I see no reason how it can. You decide to finally put some limits on Pro Stocks and Light pro turbos, then you go and undo moves in the right direction with a stupid move like this. Makes no sense NTPA!

Re: I never thought about this March 03, 2020 10:36AM
It's been that way for a while now.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: I never thought about this March 03, 2020 11:22AM
On a lighter note. Whos ready to go Pulling!

Re: I never thought about this March 04, 2020 01:52PM
Yes, it's for GN and SN events only.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: I never thought about this March 05, 2020 06:50AM
For the record, "Old Fan", the 2005 NTPA Rules book has the same wording regarding the engine spark plug limits for mini modifieds as the 2020 NTPA Rules book. If I could find my 1999 book, I am pretty sure it says the same thing. Nothing new here, sorry. JW

Re: I never thought about this March 05, 2020 01:27PM
Found my 1999 book----same wording then as now. In fact, pretty sure Rick ran dual plugs at one time. JW

Re: I never thought about this March 04, 2020 08:49AM
I will check when I get home, but I think two plugs at the GN level has been allowed for quite a while. Don't two plugs require two mags, coils, and boxes? We have better uses for that weight. JW

Re: I never thought about this March 03, 2020 02:01PM
I still think they need a state mod class with a drive line speed limit say around 70 mph 5,500 lbs. That's the only way to get new blood in mod pulling affordably!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,633, Posts: 229,697, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,901.

Our newest member JD_8520