Light mod midwest March 19, 2020 02:03PM
Watching ITPA Nebraska and others, it seems a light mod class could be something more organizations shud pick up. Has NTPA ever considered this class back

Re: Light mod midwest March 19, 2020 02:30PM
How light is "Light"? NTPA already has a 6300 Region/State class in the rulebook. That no one has, that I know of.

Re: Light mod midwest March 19, 2020 03:00PM
I was not aware of that. A lot of tractors in ITPA, Nebraska, Outlaw. Wonder why it hasn’t caught on in WI and Mn. That could be good class to get into and help 7500 state and region classes

Re: Light mod midwest March 19, 2020 04:07PM
Illini state pullers has a 6500 lb open class.

Re: Light mod midwest March 20, 2020 07:44AM
The 6300 class is a twin engine class correct? The light mod class he is referring to is 5800-6000 with every combination you can think of.

Re: Light mod midwest March 20, 2020 09:46AM
Correct a single engine, not sure what blower they run. Looks like such a fun class
Wish I lived further south

Re: Light mod midwest March 20, 2020 08:48AM
I would enjoy watching a 6000 no hemi class.variety would come back I think.i ust to love mods but gave up on them when it became only hemis at the top

Re: Light mod midwest March 20, 2020 01:56PM
ntpa 6300 Mod "State National" has numerous allowed engine / combination. A summary, from rulebook, without the limited details for each of the below:
Twin with 8-71 with wedge & hemi at diffferent blower overdrive;
One blown with 14-71
3 NA big block
4 NA samall block
1 Allison
1 Industrial or Marine 12 cyl up to 2500 cubes
1 Packard
2 Ranger
Turbine - max 3000 rated hp
No Griffon's
"No variance for newly built machines."

Re: Light mod midwest March 20, 2020 02:26PM
Is there anything in WI or MN running this now?? If someone built something, where cud u pull? I don’t see anything on WTPA/NTPA

Re: Light mod midwest March 20, 2020 07:25PM
Southwest pullers inc. might have something like that.

Re: Light mod midwest March 22, 2020 03:32PM
We tried a class like that 6 or so years ago. The Allisons cant keep up an Im sure nothing eles will either with the Hemis. The only way to make it really fair is to put a drive line limit at around 70 mph. Then you can run what ever engine or engines you desire.

Re: Light mod midwest March 23, 2020 02:28AM
Puller,
I don't see a driveline limit working because you will never turn a none Hemi as hard as a Hemi. MBR engines can typically turn 2000 or more RPMs than a Chevy style engine. It was once proposed in NTPA RN to have driveline limits but having different limitations for different engines. The issue became enforcement, number one how do you check and second how often do you check. If you have to pull a driveline shield back then jack up the rear to count revolutions it become very cumbersome and time consuming. Besides that the tractors they were trying to limit were the Hemi's and we were already at a slower gear than what they were proposing, they were just guessing and their calculations were off a bit.

If you want to limit certain types of engines blower overdrives are a much easier way to do it and it's easy to check. But you still need to keep in mind that certain engines can turn a LOT of RPMs making blowers turn that much harder also. Another factor is that blowers have improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years and can make good air at lower overdrives. With blowers the guys that are willing to spend big dollars for blowers are always going to have an edge. The blower limits in NTPA pulling work pretty well right now but took a long time to be accepted.

In any case trying to level the playing field between different engine types is not an easy task and takes a lot of time and effort and someone always feels left behind.

S'no Farmer

Re: Light mod midwest March 21, 2020 12:31AM
Central Minnesota Pullers (CMP) has light mod class. Look at their website for information. [cmppullers.com]

Re: Light mod midwest March 20, 2020 08:36PM
I have thought a twin engine light mod class with both motors in side the rails would be a very neat class ,Keep the weight up so you don't have to run expensive light weight components. Keep the older buzzard/bird injectors to keep that classic feel. Call it a "Nostalgia light mod " .I disagree with no hemis but do agree limitations would have to be in place.

Re: Light mod midwest March 21, 2020 11:53AM
I wonder how many mothballed 'old' Mods could come back and be close to meeting these ntpa 6300 Mod rules?
Probably more of them out there shedded than we realize for.
However, neeed a catalyst of a state sanctioning body combined with a few promoters to launch this class into reality.
Hopefully, then the pullers will then respond with their unique iron to give a wide array of varying powerplants.
But mothballed pullers (people) very seldom return once again to pulling.
So a younger generation need to work a deal with the 'ol' owner.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520