To spend or not to spend yet March 20, 2020 01:52PM
Hi All.
I'm on the fence right now whether to start upgrading my tractor or not . I have the money to do it. I had a plan to start on it mid March ..and have put on hold at the moment. I have 20,000$ to move up in a class to the limited pro. But I have a little fear about the US situation with the economy my job and the china virus .
I know probably no one has the answers but I feel I may be 1 of 1 or 1 of 5 or whatever in the pulling world that is hesitant. I fear if I don't get started now I may miss the season. If I start now..I could lose my job due to the situation , in the near future with the virus . I hate to spend my reserve . Many states are 100 percent shut down on businesses for non essential work.
Obviously I have to put priorities first . I feel bad for the tractor pulling builder companies...it's a bad situation that's tearing me up ...as I'm a die hard that just has to sit and weight.
I hope the vendors can get through this .
I may miss the season, ..I don't know . but I hope I get to spend my money with you guys. I've got 20k if I get through this . There are a great bunch of people below that put me in this position to move up. I also appreciate this page. It takes my mind off of some things at night .
Phil at Riverside .
Karl at Atlas
Jeff at Hypermax
Drew at FVP
Darrin at Schied.

Thanks.

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 20, 2020 02:15PM
Wait.

This is not going to be a quick rebound economically even if the virus disappears soon. Missing a season is no big deal especially considering the alternative. Survival is going to be tough for all businesses I’m afraid. Sorry to be a downer but that’s what I see coming

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 20, 2020 02:32PM
I think that I'd forget about doing anything this year and figure on 2021..New York is now shut down for 90 days..

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 20, 2020 04:42PM
In the same boat as you. Just bought a Modified tractor and was planning on putting the engine on a new chassis this summer. With this virus going around and the uncertain future I decided to hold out on the new chassis, and run it a couple passes this summer to get familiar with the Allison engine then tear it down next winter and start over from the ground up. I'd hold up for the time being.

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 20, 2020 11:24PM
If I was worried about my job I would definitely wait. At the rate things are going there may not even be a season or only a part of a season.

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 20, 2020 11:33PM
I do not believe there will be a 2020 season. so waiting would be smart. Even if the virus is somewhat under control I am do not think count or state fair will be able to happen until there is a approved vaccine. I hope i am wrong, but probably not.

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 01:02AM
I'm building now,have so much extra time now and my son can be here more to help,so I'm taking advantage of those two reasons.soon I believe parts will come quicker,less guys will be ordering or postponing builds ,so you move up the line rather quickly..I'm not planning on hooking till beginning of may 2021 due to the virus.im taking advantage on the downtime while I have it

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 02:31AM
I'd say take that 20,000 and invest it in stocks now, then in a year you could go all the way to Prostock!

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 03:14AM
What u building patches.

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 02:17PM
A antique and a nass

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 03:04PM
Whats the nass going to be ?

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 03:31PM
Oliver

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 12:44PM
Lots of great advice above. The best advice is Pullinfan4255 first part - Invest in stocks now. You need to think about retirement.
Trust me, I'm an old guy that should have done exactly what I'm saying. Wish I had the money from my pulling days invested over the years to now supplement a meager Social Security check.
And if you are a young person, you may not have a Social Security anymore once you get to retirement. Congress knows that is a problem but with the current lack of national political party cooperation, do not count on Congress to get the SocSec problem fixed in time for you 'younger' folks to enjoy your own SocSec check.

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 21, 2020 12:45PM
Another thing to remember is this is a buyers market right now. I have a couple tractors for sale and I'm only getting offered half of their worth. And that's only a third of the cost to build them.

Re: To spend or not to spend yet March 22, 2020 12:04PM
I think I'm going to hold up till the end of April.
I'm thinking im not throwing the towel in yet.

Looks as NY is a mess. You can't get your hair cut..go to a restaurant...everything is closed. Monday everything is being monitored for travel.
Townships have sent there employees home. .. Dmv is closed..ins companies closed. Everyone laying off . Hotels are closed .
I talked to guy earlier today..the paper mills are empty of wood..no toilet paper being made ..Cuomo did away with plastic bags recently..and they shifted mass production to paper bags . Pharmaceutical packaging..is made of paper..and they have no wood pulp to make the paper. I see this as a long haul after speaking with people .
But..I can't get my hair cut as Cuomo closed them down..but I can still fly commercial plane out of state..hang around people in airport and sit on plane with them.
I can see and hear the frustration.
I have 6 rolls of @#$%& paper left ...with none on the shelves at Walmart . Thank god I don't have kids . It's easy for my wife and I .. Strange when you have to ration @#$%& paper..I must tell u. I think for the first time in my life I see what panic is in stores and empty shelves. It makes sense to me now , why my father fought in his union to keep US manufacturing here ...
Virtually no traffic on the roads, people turn there head and avoid you..as I guess we should.
Hopefully we can get through this

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,675, Posts: 229,777, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,078, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member Jason