80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 12:22AM
I was recently watching videos of the 80's NTPA Grand National Mod class. This would be the 6-7 engine Banter machines, Jaske, Engler 5-6 engine Mission Impossible, Hileman, Gardner Stone, Hutcherson Macon Bacon machines, and others. How would these vehicles at 9,200 pounds compare to todays Unlimited Mods at todays weight as far as distance pulled and performance? Would they be 10' or 50' or more off today's mods. What is the HP difference from these machines to todays true unlimited mods? What are the biggest technology advances from the top tier 80's mod.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 12:35AM
I'd est the 80s mods are 2/3 the hp of a 2020 unl mod,if that.
The tires are a huge difference too
Just watch gardener stones general from the late 90s with modern tires,it was a major player in its day,and cant get within 100 ft now.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 02:06AM
The three things that are improved tremendously over the years are heads,blowers and tires. These three things combined have changed the way mod tractors have to be designed from the standpoint of weight distribution. Just looking at when the puller 2000 tire came out pullers were having to scramble to get more front end weight. Add in better engine technology as well as the big improvements in blower technology in the last few years, yes those tractors are way back from today's tractors.

Unfortunately the turbine tractors are stuck with rules that don't allow upgrades in HP equal to the modern V-8 engines. At the RN level they and the Allisons have been given some more leeway in recent years but it hasn't been used much yet. Bollinger's are the only Allison tractor at this point that could take advantage of the RN rules and could be very competitive but running RN2 just doesn't fit their schedule. If they decide to run RN2 things could get interesting.

S'no Farmer

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 02:48AM
I don't see why the powers to be cant see that the turbines need something to make them competitive again, it be great to see the general back out and running -- that is an awesome piece of equipment thats just setting simply because the higher ups won't give them whatever they need to compete, just don't understand that - they let the V8s improve on technology but not the turbines or Allison's --- i guess thats why alot of people love watching the mod classes in Europe !!!

Allisons and turbine rules December 21, 2020 03:22AM
Bubba Gump Shrimp
I don't see why the powers to be cant see that the turbines need something to make them competitive again, it be great to see the general back out and running -- that is an awesome piece of equipment thats just setting simply because the higher ups won't give them whatever they need to compete, just don't understand that - they let the V8s improve on technology but not the turbines or Allison's --- i guess thats why alot of people love watching the mod classes in Europe !!!

What rules would people like to see implemented to allow turbines and allisons to better compete at a Grand National level, whether unlimited or the 4 engine modified class?

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 21, 2020 04:04AM
I'd do whatever it takes to get them competitive.not competitive as a class filler,but give them the opportunity to be a class winner !!

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 21, 2020 04:49AM
I remember when the class was clear full of turbines and that was all that won. Didn't NTPA make a rule that no one could build another turbine to compete with them? Until it's your money being invested I would say be happy with what you have. It is truly an amazing class to watch.

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 22, 2020 01:57AM
???
I remember when the class was clear full of turbines and that was all that won. Didn't NTPA make a rule that no one could build another turbine to compete with them? Until it's your money being invested I would say be happy with what you have. It is truly an amazing class to watch.

I don't remember the class being full of them or them dominating, but I do remember in the late 90s there was getting to be a concern that was where things were headed. When Walshes built theirs that seemed to get people nervous that a flood of turbines was on the horizon. Mostly because they were so much cheaper and low maintenance to run. I think people were afraid it would kill the class by removing the noise and variety that was pulling's calling card, plus they are SO SLOW to get hooked up and started a whole class of them would really slow the show down. Comparisons were drawn to unlimited hydroplanes, where a class that used to be made up of some combination of automotive and piston aircraft powerplants was taken over by turbines and fell off the face of the earth in terms of popularity (whether the former was the direct cause of the latter is debatable, but that was the perception). Eventually I believe NTPA put a moratorium on new turbines vehicles.

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 21, 2020 08:11PM
The biggest problem with the Allison isn't actually the max rpm but the "usuable" torque range on mechanical fuel injection in combination with that supercharger.

Some things we have learnt here at the Green Monster stable, where, as some of you have probable figured, we have built some competetive and winning Allison machines:

The engine is equipped with a super charger, which delivers air by the square related to its rpm. So at low rpm that thing does basically nothing and then drastically increases its air delivery.
However, there is a max of air it can transfer, as at a certain speed (according to our test results at app. 37,000 rpm / 3800 on the engine with a 9.6 blower ratio) the air at the end of the tips of the blades gets into stall speed and from that point on it stops to increase the air flow, but it starts to turn the air REALLY hot.

So - little performance in low rpm, and depending on the gear ratio in your supercharger, kind of a wall it runs into at high speed.

To make things worse, the heat you create at high rpms, actually shows as "lean" on your plugs (plugs show heat, not mixture) and you keep adding fuel to not melt pistons.

So you're basically throwing methanol at the hot intake air, to cool it down and make it rev higher. You're not getting any more air though (whilest adding more and more fuel) and are not making more power.

So while you're actually capped in power at the top end and have very little boost in low rpms, due to the super charger characteristics, the mechanical fuel system and this "throwing fuel at it to keep it alive at higher rpm" makes things even worse.

Given the fact the mechanical fuel pump delivers fuel "linear", the blower delivers air "by the square" and you then even "add fuel on top" (= just moving the linear fuel supply line up by putting a smaller bypass in) you basically kill it with fuel in the mid range.

To sum it up: Useable power only between 3200 and 3800 rpm.

Below that the engines just fall "flat on their face" and above that there is no extra power (Actually a loss. Your typical Allison might rev 4500 - but as soon as it sees a little load, it'll be back +- 3800).
On tracks where the engines only work in that rpm range, everything is fine and an Allison with mechanical fuel injection and stock blower wheel can compete.
When it takes a wider rpm range - chance less.

So, the two changes we have made were:

a) Efi - not because it makes more power - but we have a lot more control over the fuel and can give the right amount at any condition (compared to a mechanical system, we can now "pull" more fuel in mid range where the blower is not creating excessive amounts of heat and the engine doesn't need as much methanol for cooling).

b) Putting a bit more modern blower wheel on it, that doesn't get into stall speed that quickly.
We now have a useable rpm range of app 2800 to 5200 rpm - compared to 3200 - 3800 before. The engines don't bog down that easily anymore on tough tracks and when it's becoming a speed race, on a little looser dirt, the engines will go up to high rpms, too without loosing air flow.

There was an interview with Mr. Veldhuizen a while back, who runs twin JD "Alky Burner" engines with turbos in the mod class and he described this "lack of useable torque curve" as his major issue. Works on some tracks, but when it takes low end torque - no chance.

The roots style blowers supply air linearly. They don't have all those issues (as it matches the characteristics of their fuel supply pump). They have full boost and pretty correct fuel in the complete rpm range and will supply full power once you open the butterflies.

The most simple way to get Allisons to compete in the mod classes with mechanical fuel injection, would be to put roots blowers on them. Not sure how the maths adds up there, but if you could run two Allisons with 14-71s in a class with three 8-71s - that might be a step in the right direction.

[youtu.be] if you check the video, engines rev pretty high, but they also "hang in there".

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 08:07PM by Sascha.

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 23, 2020 04:59AM
Wow, didn't know that about Allison's. Great post!!!

Sascha
The biggest problem with the Allison isn't actually the max rpm but the "usuable" torque range on mechanical fuel injection in combination with that supercharger.

Some things we have learnt here at the Green Monster stable, where, as some of you have probable figured, we have built some competetive and winning Allison machines:

The engine is equipped with a super charger, which delivers air by the square related to its rpm. So at low rpm that thing does basically nothing and then drastically increases its air delivery.
However, there is a max of air it can transfer, as at a certain speed (according to our test results at app. 37,000 rpm / 3800 on the engine with a 9.6 blower ratio) the air at the end of the tips of the blades gets into stall speed and from that point on it stops to increase the air flow, but it starts to turn the air REALLY hot.

So - little performance in low rpm, and depending on the gear ratio in your supercharger, kind of a wall it runs into at high speed.

To make things worse, the heat you create at high rpms, actually shows as "lean" on your plugs (plugs show heat, not mixture) and you keep adding fuel to not melt pistons.

So you're basically throwing methanol at the hot intake air, to cool it down and make it rev higher. You're not getting any more air though (whilest adding more and more fuel) and are not making more power.

So while you're actually capped in power at the top end and have very little boost in low rpms, due to the super charger characteristics, the mechanical fuel system and this "throwing fuel at it to keep it alive at higher rpm" makes things even worse.

Given the fact the mechanical fuel pump delivers fuel "linear", the blower delivers air "by the square" and you then even "add fuel on top" (= just moving the linear fuel supply line up by putting a smaller bypass in) you basically kill it with fuel in the mid range.

To sum it up: Useable power only between 3200 and 3800 rpm.

Below that the engines just fall "flat on their face" and above that there is no extra power (Actually a loss. Your typical Allison might rev 4500 - but as soon as it sees a little load, it'll be back +- 3800).
On tracks where the engines only work in that rpm range, everything is fine and an Allison with mechanical fuel injection and stock blower wheel can compete.
When it takes wider rpm range - chance less.

So, the two changes we have made were:

a) Efi - not because it makes more power - but we have a lot more control over the fuel and can give the right amount at any condition (compared to a mechanical system, we can now "pull" more fuel in mid range where the blower is not creating excessive amounts of heat and the engine doesn't need as much methanol for cooling).

b) Putting a bit more modern blower wheel on it, that doesn't get into stall speed that quickly.
We now have a useable rpm range of app 2800 to 5200 rpm - compared to 3200 - 3800 before. The engines don't bog down that easily anymore on tough tracks and when it's becoming a speed race, on a little looser dirt, the engines will go up to high rpms, too without loosing air flow.

There was an interview with Mr. Veldhuizen a while back, who runs twin JD "Alky Burner" engines with turbos in the mod class and he described this "lack of useable torque curve" as his major issue. Works on some tracks, but when it takes low end torque - no chance.

The roots style blowers supply air linearly. They don't have all those issues (as it matches the characteristics of their fuel supply pump). They have full boost and pretty correct fuel in the complete rpm range and will supply full power once you open the butterflies.

The most simple way to get Allisons to compete in the mod classes with mechanical fuel injection, would be to put roots blowers on them. Not sure how the maths adds up there, but if you could run two Allisons with 14-71s in a class with three 8-71s - that might be a step in the right direction.

[youtu.be] if you check the video, engines rev pretty high, but they also "hang in there".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 05:04AM by Jake Morgan.

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 23, 2020 07:09PM
OK2NV
Wow, didn't know that about Allison's. Great post!!!

Most people don't and many don't believe/understand this.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 23, 2020 01:25PM
I saw a guy try the roots blowers on Allison here the one time I saw it pull in Sun Prairie, wis back in the 80`s some time, He had 2 blowers on it, not sure of the size, but it ran great!! lots of RPM`s, but it blew something mid run or so and that was it. Never saw it again.

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 23, 2020 02:01PM
I believe it was ken venheison from morrison il,if memory serves me right

Re: Allisons and turbine rules December 23, 2020 03:30PM
Glenn mc
I believe it was ken venheison from morrison il,if memory serves me right

And he just passed way. Sad

[www.bosmagibson.com]

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 06:38AM
It seems that in the mod class, on certain tracks, the top gun does pretty well in the GN mod class, way better than the packrat.

Take a look at the light mod classes in Nebraska Bush, Outlaw, and ITPA, they have a pretty good class of light mods, where the turbines and the Allisons/Packards do very well. I like watching the ITPA especially because of the Top gun, Lynch mob, and Warhawk because they dominate the class.

I do have this question: What is better a Packard or an Allison? is it better or worse with turbos on the front?

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 07:30AM
I really like the allisons, has anybody ever done one twin turbo with the nice billet wheel turbos we have today? I would think as big as they are they would make a ton of power.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 09:27AM
IMHO, rpms is why the big cube engines lack the needed giddy up go, cut the hemis back to 6k rpms and see the difference,PackRat is way down on Power,compared to most on the bg circuits,several Allisons do have twin turbos,but the rules must keep the size down,a carbureted one ran at Lincoln,at the Outlaw pull there, - all it did was fill the air with fuel filled smoke. I like the Allisons, the sound is fun and unique,even with three - it just ain't happening.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 10:11AM
I think Bollingers had all the single Allisons mods for sale.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 10:22AM
They are down to 2 single engines now. The Lynch Mob and Top gun.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 12:44PM
Larry
How would these vehicles at 9,200 pounds compare to todays Unlimited Mods at todays weight as far as distance pulled and performance? Would they be 10' or 50' or more off today's mods. What is the HP difference from these machines to todays true unlimited mods? What are the biggest technology advances from the top tier 80's mod.

Conversely, if a 2020 unlimited hooked to a 1980s sled set for the 11,200 unlimited of that era, would the 2020 mod blow it out the end with ease, or would the heavier weight off the line of the '80s sled cause lots of major breakage on a modern mod because of how differently tractors are set up today?

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 03:05PM
One would first have to know the weight of the 11,200lb sled. If indeed they would need to drive out of the hole further, to get hooked up and going. A fuel curve change is all that is needed to fix that.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 21, 2020 11:05PM
it would blow it out the end easy like an empty wagon. the weight box is crazy fast now and the box is often filled right up to the limit. the pan also has more guasers on it even with a fast and full box. probably more weights on the front of the pan but it wouldn't matter. a top ppl 4 engine mod at 8000 pounds would cruise past those 80s six engine tractors. a 4 engine unlimited like boyds would run circles around them.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 26, 2020 02:41AM
can someone explain the rules why restrictions are on the Allisons and turbines, I know they may have dominated in the past, - but that has changes a lot. We don't need to swing back to that, but if said rules restricted them , then alter the rules slightly to make them equal again ? What configuration are the Packards?

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 26, 2020 03:19AM
I don't know if it's really a question of restrictions on the Allisons/Packards/Turbines as much as it is the lifting of restrictions on the Hemi's. Back when Allison's and Turbines where still near the top of the class we also had Chevy/Wedge motors near the top of the class. The Hemi restrictions are just too high compared to everything else. Reign the Hemi's in and everything else will be much, much, much closer and it will be a much more diverse class.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 26, 2020 04:34AM
Sounds easy enough, and most likely some Politics involved with the newer style stuff.I think politics(including more than just that) are apparently more inclusive than we care to admit in many venues.

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 26, 2020 05:05AM
At the RN level the restrictions on the Allison's and Turbines were lessened in just the last few years. The Bollinger tractor is the only Allison tractor that meets the maximum allowed restrictions that I'm aware of and it is very competitive with the twin Hemi tractors. Don Deane was also allowed more HP and did step up for a short time until one of his bigger engines broke. Don has also always fought a light front end so it was not always apples to apples. As for the Chevy tractors on any given nigh the Raptor can run run with the best tractors out there as was proven at the Enderle a couple of years ago.

As for the GN the Hemis tractors were and are limited on blower over drive 45 to 70 Hemi vs Chevy. The Turbines are limited by the military HP ratings and I couldn't say why they haven't been updated over the years to follow the HP curve of the V8 engines. My personal feelings is that the powers that be don't really want them for one reason or another, safety or insurance who knows.

As for the aircraft V12, this is 80 year old technology I'm not sure how you make it viable with today's modern engine technology. I love these engines but it seems there have to be limits as to what we expect from them. Sasha gave a very good explanation of their experiences with these engines.

S'no Farmer

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 26, 2020 02:03PM
S'no Farmer, do the Region tech officials check the Mod blower overdrive ratio on each engine, regardless of type of powerplant (hemi vs. wedge)?

Re: 80's Grand National Modified Tractors December 27, 2020 02:09AM
They get checked on occasion, we run three with 14-71s so we have have no limits so they don't have to check ours. When they changed the overdrive rules and we were running 8-71s I requested that they check mine.

S'no Farmer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro