Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 14, 2021 11:27AM
I've been watching some YouTube videos of recent pulls in Brandenburg, KY (2018, 2019, etc.) The first couple passes I watched I swore to myself it looked like the track ran uphill. However, I convinced myself it was an illusion and the fence and ground behind the track ran at an odd slope or something- that there was no way a Grand National level track was that quirky. But then I found a video of an ATPA pull in Brandenburg from 1999. The commentators went out of their way to point out that the track was only 250 feet long (more like an indoor track), and that after 250 feet, it did in fact run uphill. The track can't still be that short, as NTPA website results all have typical pulls of 320 or longer feet. Soooo.... what's the deal with Brandenburg's track?

Re: Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 14, 2021 11:35AM
It is still uphill, but not as much as it used to be. Significant work has been done to reduce the slope while retaining the unique "intimate" atmosphere that the arena brings.. Its likely the best outdoor track in Kentucky and one of the best in the country.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 14, 2021 11:55AM
That is super interesting. Thank you for sharing. It makes the bucket list for sure. Another question: It looks like it runs diagonal to whatever the arena may originally have been used for. Is there a dual purpose to this track? Rodeo grounds or something?

Re: Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 14, 2021 02:44PM
I would guess the track is used for other purposes but honestly I have never watched anything but pulling there in my 30 years of attending pulls there. The starting line is offset from how you would assume it should be laid out but allows for maximum track length.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 14, 2021 03:35PM
I have been blessed with 5 decades of pulling travels to 13 states and 2 provinces. 100's of various track qualities, spectator seating arrangements and atmosphere. Some pulling facilities were designed from the ground up, specifically for pulling. Such as the Buck (PA), Langford (NY) Twin Creek (Ontario), Morley (MI), New Hampton (IA).

However, the most unique facility I participated at, is Brandenburg. The almost 360 degree spectator amphitheater offers a great view for every spectator. It was even very good, wherever I went into the hillside seating, to achieve 'different from normal' action pulling photos.

Wonderful atmosphere, hospitality and friendliness. Likewise for the fair, too.
Definitely, at least a 1 time bucket list event, for any puller / avid pulling spectator. I bet you will desire to make it an annual outing.

The Phillips family (2 LSS's) and crew work diligently and hard to help make Brandenburg a top notch pulling event.

Re: Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 15, 2021 01:06AM
It is a pretty cool place to go see a hook. It's the only outdoor venue I can think of where to get in the pulling arena to hook, you go through the "tunnel". Fans can stand on the bridge and look right down on everyone coming in.

CP

Re: Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 15, 2021 01:11PM
the only pull i have ever been in attendance that was broadcast live on the local radio show, even got a few quotes used when i was announcing the bluegrass pull on tuesday, As stated great venue for spectators and unique entry and exit for the pullers.

Re: Brandenburg, KY Pulling Track January 15, 2021 01:19PM
Eitel
I've been watching some YouTube videos of recent pulls in Brandenburg, KY (2018, 2019, etc.) The first couple passes I watched I swore to myself it looked like the track ran uphill. However, I convinced myself it was an illusion and the fence and ground behind the track ran at an odd slope or something- that there was no way a Grand National level track was that quirky. But then I found a video of an ATPA pull in Brandenburg from 1999. The commentators went out of their way to point out that the track was only 250 feet long (more like an indoor track), and that after 250 feet, it did in fact run uphill. The track can't still be that short, as NTPA website results all have typical pulls of 320 or longer feet. Soooo.... what's the deal with Brandenburg's track?

At a ktpa pull there at least 30 years ago, it rained during the pull and filled that arena with about 2 feet of water (maybe before the tunnel was added).

After the rain stopped, they drove a backhoe out in the center and pulled a drain plug and drained the arena, scraped the track and about 2 hours later was pulling again.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009