3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 05, 2021 04:52AM
I talked to a young man running an IH666 and a 3LM466 turbo this weekend. He said the 3LM466 turbo was too big for the 312 and he added a restrictor plate between the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger, he said he got the idea from a posting on PullOff. I am curious on the theory behind adding a restriction between the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger. I can see that it would raise the exhaust manifold pressure before the turbocharger, but I do not see why it would make the tractor run better.

Re: 3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 08, 2021 12:31AM
Anyone??

Re: 3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 08, 2021 01:23AM
My guess is he is running a divided housing and has built an adapter that channels all the exhaust gasses into one side, effectively halving the A/R of the turbine housing. I have done this in the past in testing. We cut back the divider and welded a angled plate in the housing, blocking off one side. An adapter could be similarly applied. And yes, it did give us what we were expecting and worked fine. The turbos we were using did not have housings available with a small enough A/R for the application.

Re: 3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 08, 2021 04:07AM
Then you could custom tune that combo by having different size holes for 1/2 of the scroll? Interesting.

Re: 3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 08, 2021 08:10AM
And if you go with the wrong sized hole and have way too much drive pressure…..

Re: 3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 08, 2021 05:00AM
That is interesting, do you have any pictures of the work you did?

Re: 3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 08, 2021 05:32AM
RCP
That is interesting, do you have any pictures of the work you did?

I don't, it was years ago. We milled out the divider about three inches in depth into the housing, then hand fitted and tig'ed in a piece of 310, on the angle created from the mounting flange opening to where we stopped cutting the divider, to close off one side and make a relatively smooth transition to funnel everything into the other side. It's actually not that uncommon, a lot of car guys doing guerilla turbo setups have done it too. Sometimes you gotta play the hand you have, so you improvise. It's definitely a crutch compared to properly sized components.

Re: 3LM466 Exhaust Restrictor September 09, 2021 04:03AM
I have one that I would be willing to sell I used years ago

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,702, Posts: 229,802, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,951.

Our newest member CBeard