Wedge verse tube frame September 20, 2021 03:17PM
Dumb question. But what is advantage of tube frame over a wedge steel frame? Especially for a light pro/super farm that is still running cast rear end? The tube frame twisting would be trying to twist the motor mounts on the block? Or am I missing something. Thanks for the advice!

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 20, 2021 11:34PM
Cast bolted to cast doesn’t flex….

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 22, 2021 01:58PM
Yes, cast to cast doesn't flex. A Top fuel dragster doesn't flex much from the engine to the rearend either... they are pretty darn close together and fairly rigid in that part of the chassis (some more than others). The rest of the chassis does flex though, that's where they want the flex. In pulling... I'm guessing some builders believe that the flex in the rest of the chassis might help, hence why some build rear engine mounts and put the front of the engine on a cradle. Some have tried rigid front engine mounts and floating the rear on a cradle. Some builders want a chassis more rigid so it doesn't lose drawbar. There are different schools of thought on how much flex and where to put it. Anyone pretending like they have all the answers for every setup is just a blowhard. Flex or rigid might gain you distance or it might not mean squat, it's a very difficult thing to measure with any true objectivity.

Personally I'd love to see someone build an Ag chassis with a subframe... AKA tiebars to tie the engine to the rear only... (for safety only) then outside of that subframe the actual frame rails that extend all the way to the front and only tie to the rearend at the axle housing to allow the chassis to flex completely independent of the engine and transmission. If I had the money that would be my fun experiment.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 22, 2021 02:16PM
Every mention of building flex into a cast chassis is another reason to allow components in all classes

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 22, 2021 02:30PM
All classes? Really? Pure Farm Stock should be a component class? When you say "All" do you really mean "all" or just some?

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 22, 2021 03:20PM
I’ll amend it to any class that allows aftermarket chassis to be added to ag rears

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 27, 2021 08:56AM
To the original point, wedge vs tube...this is how I deal with it. Which do you like? I think that's the best too. My real opinion, for an AG chassis situation there is no real difference other than weight possibly. If someone tells you otherwise they are selling you! And I know where this is headed, in Mods Twds and Components, both are great, but more importantly if a Puller believes one is definitely better than the other, then that's the one they should buy.

BB

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 23, 2021 02:32AM
I'm with you on that one. I don't know of any Ag rear tractors built that way. Might be one out there somewhere. I for sure have seen some component ones done that way though.

CP

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 21, 2021 06:29AM
I’ve always had a good laugh listening to ag tractor guys talk about the differences and how much one chassis style works vs another. When you have cast engine bolted to cast trans and rearend nothing flexes or gives.. The frame could be built out of steel I beams or 4x4 wooden fence posts it really doesn’t matter. The biggest advantage that a lot of guys have in an ag class now a days is the addition of air ride front ends. These don’t particularly make a good run better but can make a bad or mediocre run better by reducing the unloading effect on the rear tires.

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 22, 2021 09:38AM
"builder" you should give mike a call at ace chassis, I'm sure he would have a different opinion than you. i think he may know what he is talking about.

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 22, 2021 12:33PM
Maybe mike can explain where he gets his flexible cast iron.. I’ll give him a call

Re: Wedge verse tube frame September 23, 2021 02:22AM
everyone knows cast doesnt flax, but these guys do a damn good job making the chassis flex around the pieces that wont. by allowing compnents in every class you will effectively "dollar out" some of the guys in the class or slowly kill it in other words. components are a good thing dont get me wrong, but they are not needed in every class.

Re: Wedge verse tube frame October 01, 2021 02:03AM
Newbee sbjd
Dumb question. But what is advantage of tube frame over a wedge steel frame? Especially for a light pro/super farm that is still running cast rear end? The tube frame twisting would be trying to twist the motor mounts on the block? Or am I missing something. Thanks for the advice!

call 563-590-0077. We can answer that all for you. We make steel frames for light/limited pro, and super/hot farm. Its cheaper than going to others, not that I'm ratting on others.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,573, Posts: 229,601, Members: 3,319.
This forum: Topics: 37,057, Posts: 225,855.

Our newest member BadHabit2