Pulling Semi?’s November 03, 2021 09:22AM
What is the best suspension for a pulling semi? Air, spring, or are they solid? What’s best suspension for one that’s also on the road and gets pulled periodically? I’ve never been up close to an actual for pulling only truck. Does a v12 Detroit make a good engine? Is there a possibility to get one to 700 horsepower plus? Just curious but would like to think about building something. Thanks

Re: Pulling Semi?’s November 03, 2021 03:48PM
For semi pulling I'd stay away from a v12,street semi in ohio are approaching and some probably more than 1k hp.street trucks have had 700hp for 45 + years

Re: Pulling Semi?’s November 04, 2021 03:06AM
Is a Detroit at that power level unreliable? Mostly would haul grain and gravel less than 15 miles locally. I think the old Detroit’s are kinda cool and don’t mind being a little different.

Re: Pulling Semi?’s November 04, 2021 03:11AM
you would have to be old school for a Detroit, -" WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, -THE TOUGH GET GOING " !!!!!!

Re: Pulling Semi?’s November 04, 2021 03:15AM
Watching super semi videos, the suspension looks to be fixed solid. I have a couple theories on what suspension is better for street legal semis pulling. Spring with a block added to make it basically solid. Or air bags, as you go down the track they actually build air to keep hitch up? Air is slow but rides better for normal hauling. Curious to others thoughts. Semis are much different than the tractors we pull.

Re: Pulling Semi?’s November 04, 2021 03:22AM
With blocks and chainbinders you can make an air-ride basically solid to sled pull a street truck. Seen it done many, many times. For Detroit Power, look up Mario Monette at Monette High Performance Diesel. He's up in Canada. 700 from a 12v71 with whistles is easy. Colton Sailor from MN could also steer you in the right direction.

CP

Re: Pulling Semi?’s November 05, 2021 08:16AM
A KTA Cummins could make 800 horsepower to the ground RELIABLY in the early 1980's and run midwest to the west coast week after week.
If you really work at it it'll make lots more.
Waste of time to try to make a 12V competitive.
Actually, the CAT is where it is at. PERIOD.

Re: Pulling Semi?’s November 05, 2021 09:19AM
I agree, KTA would be better. My neighbor has the v12 for sale. I guess I don’t have to go out and beat everyone at a local pull, I think those old Detroit’s are cool and very rare to see one working, especially the v12. The local gravel haulers are 450-700 horsepower pulling trains. It would be fun to mix it up at the local pull with those guys with a leaky screaming Detroit. And if I set it up right, be towards the top end.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,628, Posts: 229,690, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520