Box trailer wheel straps November 30, 2021 09:20AM
What does everyone find to work the best on front tractor wheels /tires inside of your hauler box trailer???
Setting up a new trailer and just curious what anyone else finds is good or bad . Suggestions or comments much appreciated.

Re: Box trailer wheel straps November 30, 2021 09:58AM
The use 8 d rings bolted through the floor on top of the crossmembers of the trailer with a plate on the bottom side. I use carriage bolts and lock nuts to bolt them down front and back of every tire. Then I use 2” ratchet straps with j hooks over the top of all 4 tires. The most secure way I’ve found to haul a tractor.

Re: Box trailer wheel straps December 04, 2021 01:16PM
I welded D rings to 4 plates. Mounted one on each side of the rear tires. Then I made plates under the trailer to catch 4 crossmembers each. Bolted everything down and that’s how we roll. 1 6” strap over each rear wheel. Tractor has never moved a fraction of a inch. I do unstrap it as soon as we get home and air up the tires to avoid any flat spotting

Re: Box trailer wheel straps December 04, 2021 01:23PM
We don’t have it in our trailer yet. Call Jay Uhlenhake in Iowa. He installs a mini fifth wheel that drops down into the floor when not in use. Put a king pin under the front axle of the tractor winch the tractor into the fifth wheel lock it and you never use any straps. Someday we will have this set up.

Re: Box trailer wheel straps December 05, 2021 02:37AM
I know of a 3.6 truck that does this with a pin under the weight box. The rear still gets strapped though to stop side to side movement because of the forward weight bias of it.

CP

Re: Box trailer wheel straps December 05, 2021 05:24AM
I HAVE SEEN A SEMI TRACTOR WITH LOWERED SMALL CUSTOM RAILS TYPE HAULER, WITH STRAPS OVER THE REAR TIRES, not sure how front was secured, it was an interesting concept for sure.

Re: Box trailer wheel straps December 05, 2021 09:30AM
I would recommend checking with DOT from your state on what allowed. The pin maybe safe and easy but if it doesn't meet the State's requirements for load containment you could be fine or put out of service. My state requires 4 separate points of securement each chain or strap must be rated for more that 1/4 of weight of load.

Re: Box trailer wheel straps December 05, 2021 03:08PM
twood1954
I would recommend checking with DOT from your state on what allowed. The pin maybe safe and easy but if it doesn't meet the State's requirements for load containment you could be fine or put out of service. My state requires 4 separate points of securement each chain or strap must be rated for more that 1/4 of weight of load.

The DOT from my state that I live in which is Illinois wouldn't know depending on who you talk to from IDOT.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,687, Posts: 229,790, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member Jason