Thoughts for NTPA leadership February 28, 2022 10:38PM
Mike Salinas gets a lot of things right in this article. NTPA leadership should take notice even better Wysong and the WPI. They lack vision, as Salinas points out what are you doing to attract younger generations? Nothing! The good ole boys club needs dispersed and new leaders allowed to come in.

[www.autoweek.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2022 10:40PM by OH1979er.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 12:53AM
I have written about this problem several times and the reality is it's not going to change. As harsh as that is the NTPA is not going to change one single thing. People, companies, organizations change when they feel there is a need to change. The NTPA does not, will not, is not going to see a need to change. They had a chance to change when David P. retired, did you see any change in anything. True the NTPA does do a lot of things right, yet there is always room for improvement yet they fail to make any moves. I guess one could interpret that the NTPA is happy with their business model, with their product.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 12:59AM
Dick Morgan
I have written about this problem several times and the reality is it's not going to change. As harsh as that is the NTPA is not going to change one single thing. People, companies, organizations change when they feel there is a need to change. The NTPA does not, will not, is not going to see a need to change. They had a chance to change when David P. retired, did you see any change in anything. True the NTPA does do a lot of things right, yet there is always room for improvement yet they fail to make any moves. I guess one could interpret that the NTPA is happy with their business model, with their product.

I will temper my criticism by acknowledging NTPA is trying to get new events, such as Dodge City, KS, Atwood, TN, and Florida.

That said, in 1998 or so when they lost Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, NYTPA, ESP, and the mid-atlantic states, that should have been a wakeup call. Nobody was able or willing to buck DPS.
Losing Ohio a few years later and Mid South two years ago didn't apparently work either.
The controversy over following rules at Ocala earlier this year also underscores there are issues within the organization.

In the '80s, TNT and later USHRA challenged NTPA, but didn't necessarily overtake them. ATPA tried and didn't quite succeed either. As much as I like a lot of things about NTPA, if one looks at financials and member states, PPL has overtaken them.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 22, 2022 04:51AM
The Original Michael

I will temper my criticism by acknowledging NTPA is trying to get new events, such as Dodge City, KS, Atwood, TN, and Florida.

That said, in 1998 or so when they lost Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, NYTPA, ESP, and the mid-atlantic states, that should have been a wakeup call. Nobody was able or willing to buck DPS.
Losing Ohio a few years later and Mid South two years ago didn't apparently work either.
The controversy over following rules at Ocala earlier this year also underscores there are issues within the organization.

In the '80s, TNT and later USHRA challenged NTPA, but didn't necessarily overtake them. ATPA tried and didn't quite succeed either. As much as I like a lot of things about NTPA, if one looks at financials and member states, PPL has overtaken them.
How has PPL over take NTPA" What metric, number of events, attendance?

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 01:24AM
One of Sam Waltons greatest sayings was quote " change is good " --- now that being said -- i dont agree with everything Wal-Mart has done over the years( not for a minute ) but Sam was a wise man.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 02:54AM
From the PPL shows that I have attended it seems like there shows move a lot slower compared to NTPA, now given I have attended much more NTPA events compared to PPL so maybe I just had bad luck at the ones I’ve gone too, but that’s what I think the biggest difference is I have noticed between the two.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 03:35AM
The only difference that I see is ppl seems to run a dryer track

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 05:21AM
I agree with that seems like PPL tracks are always a lot worse

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 01:35AM
Here we go again...Eye Rolling

I will attend 4-5 NTPA GN events this summer, Lord willing. Wouldn't drive an hour to watch PPL. Many Fort Recovery fans must think the same!

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 02:35AM
I wouldn’t travel as far for a PPL show either , I have and it was fine but I can’t pinpoint what it is they lack from a fan’s perspective when it come down to it NTPA just produces a better show if it’s the locations the vehicles announcers I don’t know it’s almost like PPL is too “scripted “ for lack of a better word and it seems to be the local pullers don’t jump in the mix nearly as quickly.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 02:54AM
I have finally found truth on the internet! Yes, NTPA hands down better show for fans. I don't care about anything beyond that, because I am strictly a fan. PPL puts out pulls that check every box and that meet every criteria. They are professional, competitive, and perfectly satisfactory. But it feels whitewashed. They lack history and tradition. Watching a PPL pull is like watching a really good football game in a dome. Or a NASCAR race at a generic 1.5 mile track. NTPA feels like watching a playoff game at Lambeau Field. Or like watching a race at Talladega or Bristol or Darlington. Just more substance.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 03:43AM
Apparently you folks have never been to Hillsboro, WI??

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 08:59AM
I have been to Hillsboro, lots of good equipment, but again kind of a bland production and as I said above I can’t really pinpoint why….

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 23, 2022 07:09AM
Pulling Fan2
Apparently you folks have never been to Hillsboro, WI??

NTPA offers more classes. Hillsboro is one of their biggest shows, but they just don't offer it like NTPA. Isn't this year's Norwalk supposed to be the biggest NTPA pull ever for their association? Why did it take so long for them to get a three-day show?

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 24, 2022 03:59PM
Just to set the record straight, NTPA has absolutely nothing to do with the pull at Norwalk.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 23, 2022 01:59AM
If Doc Riley says something, I am going to put a lot of stock into it. Not taking what he says as a credible source would be the equivalent of ignoring people like Jim Nantz or John Madden when speaking on football.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 23, 2022 02:38AM
Eitel, your as blind as he is then, anyone with any common sence can see that NTPA has went downhill the last 20 yrs, Doc Riley im sure is a good person, but he is so mental blocked by what NTPA use to be back in the 80s and early 90s that he can't look to the future and what the new generation is interested in, like another post said --- theres alot of member states that have dissociated themselves with NTPA --- this has happened for a reason !!!! The good ole boys club can't an won't carry NTPA forever !!! OPEN YOUR EYES !!!

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 01, 2022 02:53PM
Its a real long days drive for me to the nearest NTPA pull so they are out...I'm much closer to one PPL and several Outlaw pulls so I hit 3-4 of them every year and I've never been disappointed....

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 02, 2022 01:50AM
No NTPA For Me
Its a real long days drive for me to the nearest NTPA pull so they are out...I'm much closer to one PPL and several Outlaw pulls so I hit 3-4 of them every year and I've never been disappointed....

I completely respect what you are saying. Pulling is like pizza. It's pretty good no matter what. I would encourage you to take the drive, though. I live 5 minutes outside of Macon, MO (home to an outlaw pull). I don't even bother attending this pull anymore. Sometimes I will drive 2-3 hours to Mound City, MO or Jerseyville, IL to attend a PPL pull. But I will ALWAYS drive the 5-8 hours to attend pulls like Rockwell, IA or Chapel Hill, TN. To me, it is legitimately worth the trade off.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 22, 2022 04:46AM
No one really ever comments on what NTPA could do different.
When money comes into WPI the bulk of it goes to the pullers.
New venues don't just pop up and the new facilities (Dodge City / Atwood) both believe in the NTPA brand.
Why do people always try to get ALL the RULES the same? NTPA and it's rule process are made in the best interest of the NTPA and it's members.
The only reason there are "other" pulling groups is that someone wanted to be different than the NTPA. Member states that left NTPA back in the 1990's all had their reasons. Several were they had their "own" group of pullers who needed their "own" set of rules. Illinois had it's own sweet set up and didn't really need NTPA. Iowa and Ohio kept things in their borders and had their own set of pullers they could rely on to make the show. NTPA Member states always cashed that end of season check and the Copenhagen/Skoal Money.
NTPA is a membership association and it's business model has been sustainable over the years. To fault a 50 plus year sanctioning body based on comparisons to others is a bit like comparing the NFL to the local high school. I'm sure some of the others have great events, but crowd size, purse, longevity and a core of people with passion make the difference. NTPA doesn't lose events to any other "group" (there is only one sanctioning body in pulling) those groups always think the grass will be greener.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 22, 2022 08:59AM
Mr. Riley

Please come up for air before you suffocate yourself on the NTPA koolaid. A number of your statements should be filtered with truth so you give everybody a full picture. There business modeled failed and had to be bailed out for one. Yes NTPA Member States did cash the check, but was pennies on the dollar in return as to what was sent to NTPA from those member states. A main reason for OSTPA leaving NTPA. Ohio has been the home to NTPA from the beginning but you can only mooch off folks for so long.

This past weekend was a prime example of lack of a number of things. Poor communication from NTPA, Lack of integrity on part of leadership, the same ole same ole good ole boys club. If you are in the club great, if not watch your back.

Have a good day and do not drink to much

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 22, 2022 11:26AM
Rumor has it that Dugan is pulling a lot of his money cause the NTPA couldn’t prove that it was given to the pullers. Heard that 2-3 times this last weekend.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 22, 2022 02:14PM
Probably put it in their golden boy ole Jim Millers pocket. It’s time he goes.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 23, 2022 12:46AM
VERY VERY well said !!!! I couldn't AGREE more, NTPA is stagnant and has been for along time !!!! Doc like Greg has an opinion like everyone but their stuck in the past so bad its unbelievable !!! Salinas is a smart man, from where he's come from and to where he's at is nothing short of a blessing from god !!!! Doc needs to open his eyes up !!!! He just doesn't get it, ALL of his post sound the same ( ALL HAIL THE GREAT NTPA-- NOT !!!!! )

Mr. Riley March 22, 2022 11:34PM
Doc Riley
No one really ever comments on what NTPA could do different.
When money comes into WPI the bulk of it goes to the pullers.
New venues don't just pop up and the new facilities (Dodge City / Atwood) both believe in the NTPA brand.
Why do people always try to get ALL the RULES the same? NTPA and it's rule process are made in the best interest of the NTPA and it's members.
The only reason there are "other" pulling groups is that someone wanted to be different than the NTPA. Member states that left NTPA back in the 1990's all had their reasons. Several were they had their "own" group of pullers who needed their "own" set of rules. Illinois had it's own sweet set up and didn't really need NTPA. Iowa and Ohio kept things in their borders and had their own set of pullers they could rely on to make the show. NTPA Member states always cashed that end of season check and the Copenhagen/Skoal Money.
NTPA is a membership association and it's business model has been sustainable over the years. To fault a 50 plus year sanctioning body based on comparisons to others is a bit like comparing the NFL to the local high school. I'm sure some of the others have great events, but crowd size, purse, longevity and a core of people with passion make the difference. NTPA doesn't lose events to any other "group" (there is only one sanctioning body in pulling) those groups always think the grass will be greener.

First did you even take the time to read the article and ask yourself how does it apply to pulling? If not let’s start over, you come across as fairly intelligent and I think someone such as yourself would very easily be able to draw the parallels facing both sports. Let me highlight what I believe are some key points in the article.

“There's not enough people looking at” some obvious facts that signal some changes—a fresh mindset, some marketing initiatives—are imperative now.”

“So the sport is in trouble,” Salinas said, not so much as a complaint but more like an alarm. For the deeper thinkers in the drag-racing (I’ll insert pulling) community, he said, “It's trying to figure out what's going to happen in this sport, where we're going to go.

"Just look around. There's a big disconnect. Look at the age group. There's no young kids here; there's very few. To sustain a culture, any culture, what does it take? That will tell you how many more years and this will be gone.“
This one is vital! When I was a kid I could go to my local toy store and buy pulling tractors. The Doctor aka also known as Wayne Rausch was vital in getting in with galoob and micro machines. You had the Bigfoot, OBS, Black Gold vehicles and a pulling sled to match. There were radio control pullers at radio shack, Schaeper Stompers had a table top pulling set with their trucks. Point is pulling was readily available in my hands year round and the imagination could run. In the toy aisle now where pulling used to be monster jam has taken its place.

“Young adults (men and women) continue to work on and be fascinated with street cars and race cars. But, Salinas said, “They're doing it in a different way. It's good. You got to respect them. They're still doing the same thing. When I was a kid, I had hopped-up cars. Well, theirs is a Honda instead of a Chevy. It’s still a car.
“But these powers that be (in the NHRA) (insert pulling here too) don't see it that way. They're not replenishing young people into this sport. You got to reinvent it all the time. I would have those import guys here, racing with the little noisy cars, because those are the Top Fuel drivers of tomorrow.

You said NTPA has been around 50+ years. Their rules also favor tractors that are 50+ years old. Larry Richwine, Dale Quamme, Jim Miller, the NTPA board all need to step aside if they care about the future of this sport. You are clearly not involved politically in the NTPA. New blood has tried to get on that board but guys are constantly black balled in favor of the old guard who are stifling the sport and have zero vision. With the exception of Petro the guys on the board are all 50+ most over the age of 60. See quote that follows this.

“There's different cultures. It's different. So, knowing that, wouldn’t you want to try harder? Or the powers that be are 60-plus years old that in 15-to-20 years will be dead and they don't care? You need to care. My daughters are starting to run our companies. They're the new version of me, and honest to God, they're doing a better job. They see things that I don't see—the technology, electronics, everything—and they’re doing it better,” Salinas said.

“The worst thing you can do to a person that's hungry and trying to go somewhere is to put a brick wall in front of them. You got to give kids an opportunity,” Salinas said. “My kids are lucky because they're my daughters—and they’ve earned it. But some other kids aren't as fortunate, and there's some real good talent out there. You'd be surprised. You just got to think about other people.”

Brick wall, black ball it’s the same thing. DPS would not allow people in the inner circle that challenged his way of thinking and that tradition continues.

“What are you going to do, just stick with that same program? That's what the problem with NHRA ( insert pulling) and everybody is: they stick to the same thing. You got to change,” he said. “You just got to look at the future. If you keep mentioning (drag-racing legends) Don Garlits (Gardner Stone, Banter, Engler, Conner, Dean) and Shirley Muldowney . . . These young people don't even understand who they are. Antron (Brown) is getting older. Steve (Torrence) is getting older. These young kids, you got to push them.

You brought up Copenhagen, it’s been 30+ years since that program existed. Get involved beyond announcing and being Gregg’s best buddy. Talk to pullers at the regional level and really dig deep and you will find most believe NTPA is in its death roll.

Then there is this:

And “people” is the magic word for Salinas. He applauded the Goodguys Rod & Custom Association, which for the past 39 years has hosted legendary classic car shows throughout the United States every year, highlighting vintage hot rods and muscle cars, specialty trucks, and classic automobiles. According to its promotional materials, its two-day events draw a crowd of 30,000-40,000 and its three-day programs attract more than 100,000. Those are numbers today’s NHRA only can dream of at most of its venues.

“They understand people—people, people, people. Take care of the people,” Salinas said. “You take care of the people, the people will give back.”

And he knows the NHRA (pulling) can work harder to improve its image and its bottom line.

NTPA is a good ole boys club and will continue to dwindle. The whole system needs scrapped for the most part (still need pullers and promoters) but the old guard needs to get out of the way. Rules need to be updated to allow modern technology. Change is always hard, not denying that, but; for the sport to survive it’s vital that it happen.

I don’t have time to go into all the meetings I’ve sat through at the state and national level. Stories that could be told opportunities missed, vision lacked. NTPA is the proverbial brick wall. Last year our team joined PPL for the first time and not NTPA. We will not be joining NTPA this year or for any time in the forseable future. There are many others just like us. Bottom line, they pay lip service and no real change ever happens and guys are fed up with it. So as a previous poster stated, stop drinking the kool aide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 12:27AM by OH1979er.

Re: Mr. Riley March 23, 2022 04:33AM
Getting younger people involved in motorsports of any kind is getting harder and harder to do every year..They just aren't interested and you cant make them be interested...Their faces are glued in their phones...The kids aren't interested in high performance cars and they dont cruise the main drag anymore..I antique tractor pull and the average age is probably 60..The old tractor show closest to me has practically died...It once had 2000 people and in 2021 it had maybe 200 people because the younger people just aren't interested....I watch drag racing and tractor pulling on tv and the stands are often half empty or more...I was at state level pulls in 2021 that only had 250-500 people in attendance...There were plenty of pullers but just no spectators...Its going to get harder and harder to find sponsors and new venues when you have poor crowds..

You can get all new leadership,do all the rules changes that you want, try and make the sport more affordable-etc but you aren't going to get the crowds back that you once had like back in the 1980's-90's..I dont mean to be a prophet of doom but motorsports of all kinds are starting to die a slow death...Lots of young people now think that motorsports are polluting the planet and that the ICE should be banned..With inflation-high fuel prices I expect the crowds to be even poorer this year..

Re: Mr. Riley March 23, 2022 06:05AM
What I See
Getting younger people involved in motorsports of any kind is getting harder and harder to do every year..They just aren't interested and you cant make them be interested...Their faces are glued in their phones...The kids aren't interested in high performance cars and they dont cruise the main drag anymore..I antique tractor pull and the average age is probably 60..The old tractor show closest to me has practically died...It once had 2000 people and in 2021 it had maybe 200 people because the younger people just aren't interested....I watch drag racing and tractor pulling on tv and the stands are often half empty or more...I was at state level pulls in 2021 that only had 250-500 people in attendance...There were plenty of pullers but just no spectators...Its going to get harder and harder to find sponsors and new venues when you have poor crowds..

You can get all new leadership,do all the rules changes that you want, try and make the sport more affordable-etc but you aren't going to get the crowds back that you once had like back in the 1980's-90's..I dont mean to be a prophet of doom but motorsports of all kinds are starting to die a slow death...Lots of young people now think that motorsports are polluting the planet and that the ICE should be banned..With inflation-high fuel prices I expect the crowds to be even poorer this year..

I tend to agree that interest in the sport is probably dwindling, but I also think some function of the poor crowds is the current inundation of pulls/associations. In Missouri for example, I could attend 100-150 pulls over the course of a summer if i had the appetite for it. All within a few hours of my front door and ranging from brush/antiques all the way up to national level hooks. I could hook my profarm tractor 50 times over the summer without having to leave the state, but to be honest anymore than twenty or so hooks a year and even I get tired of going. For the casual fan, I'd imagine the novelty wears off pretty quickly also.

Ultimately, declining turnout is probably going to force some consolidation of associations and the loss of events over time. As much as I hate it, culling back some of these smaller associations and events may actually be beneficial to the health of the sport at large. Individual associations would benefit by having a larger group of committed pullers to attend events, and events would likely draw more interest from the already existing fanbase even if they have to drive a little further.

Jingle bell, jingle bill, jingle bell rock.... March 23, 2022 06:20AM
Elephant in the room

I tend to agree that interest in the sport is probably dwindling, but I also think some function of the poor crowds is the current inundation of pulls/associations. In Missouri for example, I could attend 100-150 pulls over the course of a summer if i had the appetite for it. All within a few hours of my front door and ranging from brush/antiques all the way up to national level hooks. I could hook my profarm tractor 50 times over the summer without having to leave the state, but to be honest anymore than twenty or so hooks a year and even I get tired of going. For the casual fan, I'd imagine the novelty wears off pretty quickly also.

Ultimately, declining turnout is probably going to force some consolidation of associations and the loss of events over time. As much as I hate it, culling back some of these smaller associations and events may actually be beneficial to the health of the sport at large. Individual associations would benefit by having a larger group of committed pullers to attend events, and events would likely draw more interest from the already existing fanbase even if they have to drive a little further.

This is a topic that could be approached from multiple angles, but to add to your point-

At the Outlaws/PPL/NTPA level, there is not much difference (to a casual fan) between a Super Farm, Light Pro, Limited Pro, Light Limited Pro, and we could even throw Hot Farm and Pro Farm into the mix. One could even add Pro Stock in there as well. All are (mostly) red or green, 24.5 tires (except for Hot/Pro Farm), single stack, blowing smoke.

Aside from all the organizations sanctioning pulls, many have variations on the same basic tune. At Christmas time when the radio stations play Christmas music, how many different versions of White Christmas or Jingle Bell Rock do you hear? Each slightly different, but it's the same tune.

That's the way a casual fan may look at all the single charger classes.

We have so many different single charger 24.5 classes because.......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2022 08:00AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Jingle bell, jingle bill, jingle bell rock.... March 23, 2022 07:09AM
I was at,and left early ------- a WCI pull several summers ago just because of that very exact thing, boring to watch many tractors from different classes pull the same -with sled changes, sure the sound was slightly louder on some, the colors where good on all, but so much similar that I was completely bored.

Failure to capitalize on brand March 24, 2022 02:25AM
The failure of the NTPA over the long term has been its inability to set up a Professional or Championship level of pulling that is distinct and separate from the county fair level. The economics wouldn't allow it when they couldn't keep their sponsors. In the years since the loss of Copenhagen/Skoal et al they have been forced to survive on the charity of the participants and an ever increasing base of "members". Easiest way to keep adding to the pool (member fees) is to keep adding different types of classes and diluting the sport even further. TNT was close to getting Championship level pulling off the ground in the '90's and I think Lucas will/has made great headway in this regard now. The NTPA had a great opportunity here, in the '70's and 80's and just never were able to capitalize on their head start in brand building. Those days are gone. The NTPA's niche is volume now, lots of classes and lots of low level events, I don't see much of a way for that to change now. If you wish to see a professional level of pulling really get rolling root for PPL to takeover some of the NTPA's remaining large events.

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand March 24, 2022 05:40AM
OG
The failure of the NTPA over the long term has been its inability to set up a Professional or Championship level of pulling that is distinct and separate from the county fair level. The economics wouldn't allow it when they couldn't keep their sponsors. In the years since the loss of Copenhagen/Skoal et al they have been forced to survive on the charity of the participants and an ever increasing base of "members". Easiest way to keep adding to the pool (member fees) is to keep adding different types of classes and diluting the sport even further. TNT was close to getting Championship level pulling off the ground in the '90's and I think Lucas will/has made great headway in this regard now. The NTPA had a great opportunity here, in the '70's and 80's and just never were able to capitalize on their head start in brand building. Those days are gone. The NTPA's niche is volume now, lots of classes and lots of low level events, I don't see much of a way for that to change now. If you wish to see a professional level of pulling really get rolling root for PPL to takeover some of the NTPA's remaining large events.

BINGO! AMEN OVER AND OVER! NTPA has always believed the big dogs should be able to pull at the local level and many states have done the same thing. What they failed to realize is this killed the national brand and made it next to impossible for a guy to start out in this sport. As a fan what incentive is there to travel if I can go to my local county fair and see the biggest names in the game? Now, no it didn’t affect the Tomah and BG type events of the world. Those events would be successful regardless. It stopped new blood from entering the sport by and large. To even be able to compete in Ohio you better be bringing a national level caliber tractor to the SS class if everyone is healthy and running. Your post nailed it!

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand March 24, 2022 06:16AM
OH1979er

BINGO! AMEN OVER AND OVER! NTPA has always believed the big dogs should be able to pull at the local level and many states have done the same thing. What they failed to realize is this killed the national brand and made it next to impossible for a guy to start out in this sport. As a fan what incentive is there to travel if I can go to my local county fair and see the biggest names in the game? Now, no it didn’t affect the Tomah and BG type events of the world. Those events would be successful regardless. It stopped new blood from entering the sport by and large. To even be able to compete in Ohio you better be bringing a national level caliber tractor to the SS class if everyone is healthy and running. Your post nailed it!

Several things needed to disconnect at the various levels of NTPA sanctioning. The purse, the cost of admission, the competitors and most importantly the branding, they don't in any meaningful way. All levels are marketed as "NTPA" pulling, this has been a terrible mistake. The insiders/diehards know the difference between GN/Regional/State etc but when they are all marketed under the same umbrella of "NTPA Tractor Pulling" it doesn't allow for differentiation. The NTPA can be the promoter/sanctioning body for all the levels but Regionals/Pro Nationals etc needed to operate under a complete different moniker/brand than the NTPA GRAND NATIONALS did. Only the competitors and informed needed to know that the lower levels were really operated by the NTPA. Once you created the premium product, you could begin to grow the purse, level of performance, the event statures, etc etc. The NTPA were the first movers on national level pulling but they were terrible brand managers and way over their ski's. Putting a modestly successful fuel and farm equipment salesman in charge of the NTPA was the beginning of the end for its chance to be elite at the top.

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand March 25, 2022 06:51AM
OG,
In defense of upper level pullers, there just aren't enough competitors to separate things to the level that is talked about. As an example there is one 2WD team that often gets a call to fill in at RN events...particularly during the week. That then creates hard feelings with some RN pullers as they feel they are being robbed as they support the whole RN circuit. The problem becomes that there might only be 3 RN vehicles supporting the entire circuit...not enough for a good show. This normally GN team gets put in the middle for trying to help fill the RN classes and taking their prise money. Then you might say don't have so many weekday shows, well most county fairs don't have the ability to have weekend shows.

Another aspect of this is that most county's that have a top level puller near them want those pullers at their event to help draw butts into the seats. My county had an HSTPA pull with a class we could have run put we had a GN event we had go to, they were very disappointed that we weren't there. Local top level pullers equal local spectators.

S'no Farmer

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand March 25, 2022 08:01AM
S'no Farmer
OG,
In defense of upper level pullers, there just aren't enough competitors to separate things to the level that is talked about. As an example there is one 2WD team that often gets a call to fill in at RN events...particularly during the week. That then creates hard feelings with some RN pullers as they feel they are being robbed as they support the whole RN circuit. The problem becomes that there might only be 3 RN vehicles supporting the entire circuit...not enough for a good show. This normally GN team gets put in the middle for trying to help fill the RN classes and taking their prise money. Then you might say don't have so many weekday shows, well most county fairs don't have the ability to have weekend shows.

Another aspect of this is that most county's that have a top level puller near them want those pullers at their event to help draw butts into the seats. My county had an HSTPA pull with a class we could have run put we had a GN event we had go to, they were very disappointed that we weren't there. Local top level pullers equal local spectators.

S'no Farmer

That's pretty much my point. You are canabalizing your elite class to try and sustain a lower level class that shouldn't exist (Especially under the same "name"). 3 pullers is not a viable class but to make it work they drag the top down. You and the NTPA are worried more about putting a show into every county fair that exists for sanctioning, membership, and entry fees. If you want an NTPA GN event to be a premium product its pullers shouldn't be at every fair in the country. Now if you have no desire, that's fine. Make the NTPA the high school show that Doc mentioned.

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand March 25, 2022 08:31AM
I think the Todd and other pullers that hook mostly at the national level are caught between a rock and a hard place. Local fair boards need tractors to fill classes, fans want to see good quality equipment at a show and local shows have to survive. It's so easy to say that no national pullers should ever go to a local event but that's going to kill the sport completely. I don't think a national puller should make every event but they need to support grassroots pulling. If local pulling dies National pulling will be not be far behind it.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree March 25, 2022 09:53AM
Dick Morgan
I think the Todd and other pullers that hook mostly at the national level are caught between a rock and a hard place. Local fair boards need tractors to fill classes, fans want to see good quality equipment at a show and local shows have to survive. It's so easy to say that no national pullers should ever go to a local event but that's going to kill the sport completely. I don't think a national puller should make every event but they need to support grassroots pulling. If local pulling dies National pulling will be not be far behind it.

What you are advocating for is exactly what has killed grass roots local level pulling. Todd mentioned that RN guys feel like prize money is being taken and that sentiment is very true. So what has happened is to compete locally, guys have spent at the GN level knowing the elite may show up. It has driven costs so sky high that there is very little new blood coming into the sport and local guys who were trying to do it on a budget have quit altogether. Look no further than the R2 LSS class. 10 years ago there were 13 hooks in R2 for those guys, now there are none. Take a look at the heavy SS class. Those are the classes I am personally most familiar with. For the sport to grow there has to be distinct levels. For far to long the great whites were allowed to play in the farm pond, it drove costs sky high for the local guy, because let’s face it, no true competitor wants to get embarrassed, so guys either spent beyond their means to try and keep up or quit. So because NTPA chose not to do anything and just let classes die they are now filling their schedule and paying the bills with single charger diesel only classes. You can still see good quality equipment, but if that means the biggest and the baddest, that has killed at least two classes at the local level.

Re: Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree March 25, 2022 10:49AM
OH1979er

What you are advocating for is exactly what has killed grass roots local level pulling. Todd mentioned that RN guys feel like prize money is being taken and that sentiment is very true. So what has happened is to compete locally, guys have spent at the GN level knowing the elite may show up. It has driven costs so sky high that there is very little new blood coming into the sport and local guys who were trying to do it on a budget have quit altogether. Look no further than the R2 LSS class. 10 years ago there were 13 hooks in R2 for those guys, now there are none. Take a look at the heavy SS class. Those are the classes I am personally most familiar with. For the sport to grow there has to be distinct levels. For far to long the great whites were allowed to play in the farm pond, it drove costs sky high for the local guy, because let’s face it, no true competitor wants to get embarrassed, so guys either spent beyond their means to try and keep up or quit. So because NTPA chose not to do anything and just let classes die they are now filling their schedule and paying the bills with single charger diesel only classes. You can still see good quality equipment, but if that means the biggest and the baddest, that has killed at least two classes at the local level.

While all this is true it is also true that all these single turbo diesel classes that have been created the last decade should have remained at lower level events. If you want to compete at the professional level upgrade to those classes. SF, LPS, LLSS, LLPS, etc etc should never been able to compete at GN/SN events. If the goal is to have a distinct top level, no event should mix lower level classes with GN for the same admission price. I say all this with the idea that an elite level should have been the goal, it's not wrong for it not to be the goal, just admit as much.

Re: Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree March 25, 2022 04:07PM
OG,
I can't really argue with that sentiment, I do think that there are a lot of classes that should be lower level classes and if pullers want more they need to step up their program.

As for the Mod classes I think it should be that the basic tractor chassis and rules are the same from one level to the next (that way pullers could step up to the next level as the budget allows) but the number of engines should increase as you go to higher levels. Having said that I think it should start at a lower level in regards the the engines than it does now. Example: one engine state, two engines RN, three engines GN Mod, four engines GN Unlimited.

S'no Farmer

Re: Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree March 25, 2022 05:04PM
So all the levels of Mods are 1,2,3,or 4 hemis? That doesn't appeal to me at all. I know you're speaking in general terms. Ralph Banter said, "the day they start counting motors, this class is going to get REAL expensive". Well it turned out he was right about that! 40 years ago or more the state mods in Ohio were more that 1 motor. Who wants to go watch 1 motor Mods?

Re: Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree March 26, 2022 02:55AM
Fan 2,
If you don't like a single engines class or a twin engine class then do what some have suggested pullers do and step up and go to a more expensive show to see what you like.

There are lots of events every summer that run single engine mods all the way from small blocks to blown Hemi's and they seem to survive. People complain constantly that tractors are to expensive to build this is a way to build your way up slowly over time. It's exactly what we did, we stepped up as we could afford it. One big difference in this scenario is you could do it within one organization as opposed to the four of five we went through.

Why is it a bad thing to have "NTPA" as the sanctioning body for all of these levels? This way the basic rules stay the same you just ad better components and more engines. The less the engines the less it would cost a promoter to have the event.

S'no Farmer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2022 04:40AM by S'no Farmer.

Re: Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree March 26, 2022 06:41AM
No issue with NTPA on all the levels. My only point is really tongue in cheek with you about 1 motor on state level. That is brush pull stuff. As far as attending those pulls, I quit after they kept backing you and Mr. Veney down all the time so the others could keep up. Lost interest! There are enough GN/SN events in Ohio so no big deal there. Also took your advice and have made the trip to Rockwell the last 2 years, intending to do the same this year again, Lord willing!

Re: Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree March 25, 2022 04:17PM
OG, i agree like Todd, thats why all this bull$i!! about LLSS needs to go Component needs to go by what you said --- if LLSS guys that are campaigning for component. -- UPGRADE AN GO LIGHT SUPER and Step up to the next level !!! Sry - i know this belongs in another thread but his comment applies to all the fuss in the other thread !!!!

Re: Mr. Morgan I have to kindly disagree April 06, 2022 06:13AM
OG

While all this is true it is also true that all these single turbo diesel classes that have been created the last decade should have remained at lower level events. If you want to compete at the professional level upgrade to those classes. SF, LPS, LLSS, LLPS, etc etc should never been able to compete at GN/SN events. If the goal is to have a distinct top level, no event should mix lower level classes with GN for the same admission price. I say all this with the idea that an elite level should have been the goal, it's not wrong for it not to be the goal, just admit as much.

So, you are saying super farm should never be a GN class? what about all the blown and naturally aspirated classes? All of us guys in those classes always get jumped that we shouldn't be a part of the level other guys are at, but what about us? what if we want our class there? Why is it always all about you? back to the naturally aspirated and blown classes. Who wants to see mod, twd, fwd, unlimited, light unlimited at each "professional event?" Remember this: Super farm at one point in 2009 or 2008 in Bowling green had 72 tractors. Usually when GN at Tomah, they can get at least 30. On the regional level, Region III gets at least 12 per pull. So don't say these classes don't draw a younger generation, or don't draw a crowd/event.

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand March 25, 2022 02:34PM
I have been to many State pulls in Ohio over the years where current GN points champions showed up on a weeknight! Some were even class B pulls at the time. They are nothing but good for the show! If they are willing to run for state money, what is the problem? Fans are getting their money's worth and are likely to show up again next year! The promoter is happy!
The Sugarcreek pull is one where you drive by there any other time of year and you wouldn't ever think there was a pulling track there, yet some of the best Pro Stocks in the country show up every year there! How is that bad for the sport? I've seen some pretty happy state pullers over the years back in the pits when they happen to beat the "big boys"! The ones crying about the money are the same ones always wanting to back their fellow state (regional now) competitors down all the time so they can compete with them. That is NOT good for the show!!

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand April 06, 2022 05:46AM
OG

Not separate from county fair level? When will the good ole county fair have unlimiteds? when will they have mini rods and super semis? THEY WON'T! Also, tractor pulling and drag racing are two separate things. Why does the sport of truck and tractor pulling need to be "professional"? Maybe that is where the local guys can't afford "entry-level classes". Because everything needs to be "professional!"

Re: Failure to capitalize on brand April 06, 2022 01:48PM
We brought up this problem in the late 90s at Wolverine and they wouldn't even discuss it the phase was we've spent the money and we're not going backwards. All we wanted was a difference between grand national and region or state super stocks but instead they created super farm what a great fix that was

Re: Mr. Riley March 24, 2022 03:23AM
When ever the topic of attracting young people comes up, it always seems to neglect what middle aged or older people want or like. It’s the same discussion in many different avenues. It happens at work the same as this thread. They want to make all these changes to attract young people and give all these incentives but completely ignore or even make it worse for the existing group. As for pulling and drag racing, I personally don’t want to watch a bunch of rice burners race or pull with a diesel pickup. I completely respect the tech that goes into those machines, appreciate that many do like those and do believe they each have a place to help attract younger people, which agreed is very important to do. While working to attract more people, let’s just not “throw the baby out with the bathwater” if you will, meaning ignore or alienate the people that happen to like the classes we run today and how they are structured (for the most part anyway).

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership March 24, 2022 08:38AM
Doc,
All the comments below fail to give any concrete things NTPA should do. I like the NTPA and will see you at 4-5 GN events this summer!
Typical Americans, in that instead of being thankful they have an organization to pull with, they will complain about everything without any constructive criticism.
If I could change one thing on the GN circuit, I would like to see variety back in the MOD/UNL classes. Let the Turbines run both in the Light class and with higher limits in the MOD class. For instance, Barga's 3 would be very competitive in the MOD class.

Member states March 24, 2022 09:55AM
I had to look on the NTPA website and found "Member State Contacts" under the Contact section.

Hoosier State Tractor Pullers Association (Indiana)
Wisconsin Tractor Pullers Association
Wolverine Pullers, Inc. (Michigan)
United Pullers of the Carolinas (North & South Carolina)
United Pullers of Minnesota
United Pullers of Iowa
Ohio Truck & Tractor Pullers Association

Of these, Iowa's website shows 3 events for 2021, all RN events.
Ohio doesn't even have a website. Is it even a real Member State or one in name only?

Now, let's look at PPL:

Xcaliber Pulling Association
Badger State Tractor Pullers
Carolina Truck and Tractor Pullers
East Coast Pro Pulling
Empire State Pullers
Mid-South Puller Association
Nebraska Bush Pullers
New York Tractor Pullers Association
Ohio State Tractor Pullers Association
Power Pulling Productions
Shenandoah Valley Tractor Pullers Association
Southern Pullers Association

I count 12.

Even giving NTPA the most charitable benefit of the doubt, it's PPL 12, NTPA 7 for Member State associations.

These groups are obviously getting something out of their PPL affiliation or the wouldn't maintain their status with PPL.

Re: Member states March 24, 2022 11:19AM
During the 80s ntpa had 39 member states if I remember right

Re: Member states March 24, 2022 01:00PM
patches
During the 80s ntpa had 39 member states if I remember right

I think you remember correctly.

Re: Member states March 24, 2022 11:45AM
The Original Michael
I had to look on the NTPA website and found "Member State Contacts" under the Contact section.

Hoosier State Tractor Pullers Association (Indiana)
Wisconsin Tractor Pullers Association
Wolverine Pullers, Inc. (Michigan)
United Pullers of the Carolinas (North & South Carolina)
United Pullers of Minnesota
United Pullers of Iowa
Ohio Truck & Tractor Pullers Association

Of these, Iowa's website shows 3 events for 2021, all RN events.
Ohio doesn't even have a website. Is it even a real Member State or one in name only?

Now, let's look at PPL:

Xcaliber Pulling Association
Badger State Tractor Pullers
Carolina Truck and Tractor Pullers
East Coast Pro Pulling
Empire State Pullers
Mid-South Puller Association
Nebraska Bush Pullers
New York Tractor Pullers Association
Ohio State Tractor Pullers Association
Power Pulling Productions
Shenandoah Valley Tractor Pullers Association
Southern Pullers Association

I count 12.

Even giving NTPA the most charitable benefit of the doubt, it's PPL 12, NTPA 7 for Member State associations.

These groups are obviously getting something out of their PPL affiliation or the wouldn't maintain their status with PPL.

Ohio is a voting body only not a sanctioning body. After OSTPA left WPI would not grant a sanctioning body to state of Ohio but due to the amount of NTPA pullers in Ohio still wanted to grant them a seat at the table.

Re: Member states March 24, 2022 11:52AM
Pretty much the same for United Pullers of Iowa. Also, missing are the Mid Florida Tractor Pullers Association which is now a member state.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: Member states March 24, 2022 01:50PM
There are many NTPA pulls across Ohio. Region 2 was so big it had to split into east and west divisions of r2. Again why bash the organization that laid the ground work and blazed the trail for so many to follow? Instead of bashing them just go pull somewhere else. Apparently they have done something right! The naysayers have preached the eulogy for the NTPA for the past few years, and guess what? They are still standing! Are they perfect, or could they improve, or make some positive changes? Absolutely, but Doc asked for suggestions, but all people want to do is bash and criticize. The only suggestions anyone ever states, is give away the farm. Unless you have seen or know the details of the financials of the Organization, then you are talking out of school and are thinking only about the man in the mirror. I wish NTPA and all the other pulling organizations worldwide nothing but the best. I'm thankful for each and every one of them. "Thats all I'm going to say about that" Forest Gump

Re: Member states March 25, 2022 01:00AM
I’ve read several well thought out suggestions. Fact of the matter is treat the pullers with some respect. The region 2 WAS split. They’re dropping vehicles like flies. They run them all over the state and pay them scraps to it. It’s not sustainable. If funding isn’t there to pay them more then limit the hooks, it’s a watered down product, if I want to watch a concert, PBR, Monster Jam, etc at the highest level there are one maybe two options in the state of Ohio. If I want to watch region 2 I have 40 options. It’s completely unfair to the promoters/fair boards that spend $20-50k to have NTPA put on a pull. As a spectator if I miss my hometown pull I can drive 10 more minutes to watch the EXACT same show the next county over. Make it so Grand National is prestigious, you have to earn a spot to pull there. Big payouts is the key to that. HOW YOU ASK? Every big donor ntpa has ever had has the same complaints, give money to the pullers. How many millions has ntpa let slip away bc they’re so top heavy and need sponsorship money to pay salaries and line WPI’s pockets? Sure they do a lot right and no I don’t think PPL is perfect either, but for any of us as business owners to hang our hat on past accomplishments is asinine! We all strive to be better and grow our business’s, NTPA shouldn’t be the exception. There is no overnight fix but look at street outlaws, those guys use their tools (sponsors) to their advantage. Everyone wants on the “list” because when you do you’re on tv, you get sponsorships, bigger payouts, and everyone knows you earned that spot. It could be setup a similar way. Problem with it is NTPA & other like organizations have little risk. A promoter pays them and the pullers show up. If it was their butt on the line renting a facility, taking a leap of faith, hoping fans walk through the gate, they may work a little harder at it. The only event like that is Enderle and their nut is covered before it ever starts! It a squeaky machine that needs attention.

Re: Member states March 25, 2022 03:34AM
OH1979er original long post in this thread hits lots of nails square on the head, especially about certain 'key' NTPA people. And I could add some more names, too. And as a result, I have lost a tremendous amount of respect for the organization. Right along with some other people highly involved in pulling.

To all the naysayers about the NTPA structure - levels of competitions - while promoting PPL is 'the way', I certainly do not understand at all your vision.
PPL has the same kind of 'levels of competitions' as NTPA. PPL has been nothing more than a copy cat of NTPA.
NTPA has Super National, Grand National, Pro National, Region and State.
PPL has Champions Tour (Grand National equivalent). I have never really understood what their Midwest whatever or Silver Series really are (I assume it is a Region equivalent). And PPL on their website sure do a lousy job of even attempting to inform what those circuits really are. In fact, their website is not even attractive. And certainly PPL has member states. And guess what, I see CT 'hotdogs' pulling at the State events. No different than what I see at NTPA.

Both organizations have good sponsors, as seen with all the trackside banners. PPL has a means to help secure a good sponsor for a few of their 'select pullers' vehicles, which has not been done in NTPA since the Wrangler / Carhartt / Copenhagen days of the '80's. That is really the only advantage I see with PPL.
Some people claim PPL is a better purse. However, despite all the requests over the years here on pulloff.com, where are the figures to prove such? Some pullers have claimed on here, that when year end purse money is added, both organizations are about equivalent.

All the 'crying' on this site about how NTPA is history and PPL is the now and only way, I believe is pure absurdity. I see pros & cons of each organization. But that is life. Life is not perfect. People have strengths and faults. And that is the same in any organization.
Choose which one you want to be a part of. Or perhaps each one. Become involved, with your personal 'strength' attribute(s) to help 'improve' the weakness of the organization.

Re: Member states March 25, 2022 05:21AM
Puller 7
There are many NTPA pulls across Ohio. Region 2 was so big it had to split into east and west divisions of r2. Again why bash the organization that laid the ground work and blazed the trail for so many to follow? Instead of bashing them just go pull somewhere else. Apparently they have done something right! The naysayers have preached the eulogy for the NTPA for the past few years, and guess what? They are still standing! Are they perfect, or could they improve, or make some positive changes? Absolutely, but Doc asked for suggestions, but all people want to do is bash and criticize. The only suggestions anyone ever states, is give away the farm. Unless you have seen or know the details of the financials of the Organization, then you are talking out of school and are thinking only about the man in the mirror. I wish NTPA and all the other pulling organizations worldwide nothing but the best. I'm thankful for each and every one of them. "Thats all I'm going to say about that" Forest Gump

Light Pros split around 2017. In subsequent years, TWD, 3.0 Diesel FWD, Mods, and last year, Minis split.
So, some classes split.
If you drive a Super Stock, Limited Pro, LLSS, Light Super, Super Farm, then no, the region is not close to splitting. A case could be made years ago that SF could have been split, but now it's mostly a Michigan class with the rest of the region running the light/limited PS.

I would submit that if one is not a Grand National puller living in R2, there is no purpose to buying an NTPA license for Light or Heavy SS, Pro Stock, SSD FWD (that used to have a Regional schedule).
If I want to run HSTPA, for example, there are 0 (that's ZERO) super stock hooks, either light or heavy. 20 years ago, HSTPA had a solid contingent of LSS pullers. In past years, at least Connersville had 2 pulls with the HSS class, but Connersville is not on the HSTPA schedule (as an aside- what happened? Are Chris Gettinger and Pfieffers getting out of the sport)?

One other aspect on the split classes- In past years there was a state schedule, with some state events in R2 co-sanctioned as RN. I see 3 pulls on the HSTPA schedule that aren't also co-sanctioned RN.
There used to be State Level with Select RN events within the state. You want to know why Light Pros, TWD and few other RN classes split? It's because pretty much all (or vast majority) of hooks are co-sanctioned as RN hooks. Whereas 20 years ago,a smaller % of most state classes are also RN co-sanctioned, now 90% or more are co-sanctioned. That's your answer as to why R2 was split up- there are few "state" pulls in a wide area and now they're all RN.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2022 05:48AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Member states March 26, 2022 03:52AM
I will address the splitting...because not all pullers in a class nowadays want to compete at 20 or so events. In the modern world of high performance motors (at least alky style, cannot comment on diesel), 20 runs put a lot of strain on the internals. Throw in a pulloff or two and with warmup times (heat cycles), you are looking at replacing rods ($1200-2000) just to complete the season. That isn't even including the travel time and wear and tear on trailer and tow. Not splitting and after a competitor has lost the opportunity for a championship, the drive to go to those later events diminishes. Who wins in that scenario....certainly not the fans or the promoter? Even split, at times some show don't have quality numbers. Sorry, folks, but pulling is evolving and not everything stays the same as the glory days. Baseball, football, circle track, drag racing, snowmobiling..they all had glory days, but today not so good. So, they all had "bad" business plans? One other question I have.......can someone please tell me where the NTPA or WPI is lining anyone in that organizations pockets? As a side note, the financial model of the two primary organizations is different i.e. how the managers of the two are compensated is entirely different is just one example.

Re: Member states March 26, 2022 06:22AM
bandit496
I will address the splitting...because not all pullers in a class nowadays want to compete at 20 or so events. In the modern world of high performance motors (at least alky style, cannot comment on diesel), 20 runs put a lot of strain on the internals. Throw in a pulloff or two and with warmup times (heat cycles), you are looking at replacing rods ($1200-2000) just to complete the season. That isn't even including the travel time and wear and tear on trailer and tow. Not splitting and after a competitor has lost the opportunity for a championship, the drive to go to those later events diminishes. Who wins in that scenario....certainly not the fans or the promoter? Even split, at times some show don't have quality numbers. Sorry, folks, but pulling is evolving and not everything stays the same as the glory days. Baseball, football, circle track, drag racing, snowmobiling..they all had glory days, but today not so good. So, they all had "bad" business plans? One other question I have.......can someone please tell me where the NTPA or WPI is lining anyone in that organizations pockets? As a side note, the financial model of the two primary organizations is different i.e. how the managers of the two are compensated is entirely different is just one example.

Baseball, football, Nascar, IndyCar, NHRA are not so good???? Maybe you ought to research their salary and purse growth over the last 30 years. Tractor pulling has seen its purses halved on an inflation adjusted basis. I am not sure anyone has accused anyone in management of lining their pockets. Ineptitude maybe, fraud no.

Re: Member states March 27, 2022 03:12AM
"How many millions has ntpa let slip away bc they’re so top heavy and need sponsorship money to pay salaries and line WPI’s pockets?" (from a post above). Pulling itself isn't a job or profession for just about all; it is a hobby. Look at the attendance or participation for those others--snowmobiling is a shell of what it has been; many high schools struggle to fill football, basketball, baseball teams; how many drag racing venues still operate; circle tracks?

Re: Member states March 27, 2022 04:11AM
I was referring to the sponsors lost by ntpa because proceeds were not going to the pullers. I know of a few big sponsors lost because their dollars were not properly accounted for.

Re: Member states March 27, 2022 04:59AM
bandit496
how many drag racing venues still operate; circle tracks?

Well, the NHRA race in Phoenix is going away after next year.

Joliet, Memphis, Etown, among other strips that are going away, though maybe Joliet can come back someday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 05:42AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Member states March 27, 2022 05:19AM
Joliet is back with a LODRS date this summer.

CP

Re: Member states April 06, 2022 11:20AM
The SVTPA is a Garden Pulling association. There is nothing wrong with garden pulling but, I don't think SVTPA needs to be a selling point for PPL in your list.

Also, Mid Florida needs to be added to your list. And I have heard from several pullers that the events have continued to run smoothly for them. I am biased toward those guys because I have gotten to know both Rodney Swift and Brian Capparelli real well just like I have all the promoters I help. Mid Florida has been with other associations over the years and they saw NTPA as a way to get some different iron in the mix. And they have.

So let's say 8 NTPA versus 11 PPL.

I know pullers in a lot of leagues. Some are die-hard toward that league. Some of them overlap. Some will pay membership dues for a year just to go whoop some butt from other pullers that are diehard for another league. Some only pull close to home and with gas prices who can blame them. Some save their stuff for Grand National events and very local events.

A couple of notes we are just a few rainouts away from NTPA pulling being really strong in Virginia. The Central Virginia Nationals both nights were rained out in 2019 and the promoter was so sick of it happening, that he moved out of state. It sucks that it didn't work out. Also, the Millers Tavern Spring Nationals in 2017 was rained out and forced to be a 1-day pull. I have had people tell me they want to see more NTPA pulling in Virginia and that it can't work. The budget is "too much". I said, "Nonsense. They have budgets to work with any fair or association." You don't need every single class. You can start with a regional event, then a Super National event down the road. You also don't need 100 different hooks to make a decent show. If you are putting on a pull, pulling, or helping out at a pull, you are making pulling great! And be social about it. Tell it from your perspective.

I promote PPL, Dragon, Mid Florida, Interstate, and Garden pulling. I don't have a problem getting people to show up. I offer advice only when asked. I see it from a wide array of experiences. You know in my 50-60 events what keeps people away? The "R" word rain. It isn't because of something else. If bad weather is in the forecast, people Netflix and chill I guess. I have ponchos, my cameras have ponchos, umbrellas, if you are going to a pull you need to be prepared. "It's raining at my house. Is the pull still on?" "No, we aren't pulling at your house. Come on out!"

I get tons of kids and new pullers talking about pulling cause they have seen something awesome on Tik Tok or Facebook or YouTube. We need to get kids off the couch period. This isn't a pulling thing. It is a living thing. I never had a dad. But my mom, my granddaddy, my mom's boyfriend, and my uncles all used to take me to pulls. Think about bringing young ones with you to pulls. Give them swag and give them a job to sell the swag!

Lastly, the article. Go read it. It was a great read. But do you know why Montgomery Wards and Sears never merged, a Montgomery Ward rep seasoned the potatoes before tasting them? That is the problem here. You can't change something if you don't taste or have the power to even suggest a change. A million-dollar deal died because people didn't take the time to simply try it out first. You might think that all leagues are doomed, but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Re: Thoughts for NTPA leadership April 07, 2022 06:14AM
Needs a reality show!!!!!! Someone needs to contact Discovery Channel!!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,669, Posts: 229,758, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,075, Posts: 225,934.

Our newest member JD_8520