DSS in LSS April 08, 2022 03:40PM
Lets say Collin Ross with Triple Bypass has 504 cubic inches and could get light enough to pull in the light super stock class. Do you think he would be a top runner? Or would the alcohol burners dominate? Im just using Triple Bypass as an example but my main question is could a top running DSS be competitive in the light super stock class like how we are seeing them being competitive in the unlimited super stock class?

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 12:18AM
JMO, when Esden ran light super with the 460 he was very competitive, that has been a few years back and technology has improved on several things since then, tires are better, diesel has made huge advancements, alcohol has made advancements, i think it can be done but i think diesels need more cubic inches, ive always thought it be very very interesting to put a pro stock motor in a light component chassis and with enough gear in it and see, i know everyone is going to start sayn to big on cubes, but as it is now and has been for several years its an all alcohol show and to change it up some the higher ups need to let someone try a pro stock motor and just see, it'd be fun to see !!!!

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 12:32AM
I believe Ross' are 540, they seem to be doing pretty darn good against the 650 alky tractors. I think if Ross built a 504 that was essentially a carbon copy they would have a huge torque advantage against the 504 alky tractors and they would be right with the top runners on horsepower (maybe more). I don't know what gear it would run but it would be TALL! I think weight is the biggest stumbling block for the diesel guys. The cost of the tractor would probably be insane since so much of it would need to be built out of carbon fiber and titanium. Every single nut and bolt would need to be scrutinized.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 04:44AM
Jake Morgan
I believe Ross' are 540, they seem to be doing pretty darn good against the 650 alky tractors. I think if Ross built a 504 that was essentially a carbon copy they would have a huge torque advantage against the 504 alky tractors and they would be right with the top runners on horsepower (maybe more). I don't know what gear it would run but it would be TALL! I think weight is the biggest stumbling block for the diesel guys. The cost of the tractor would probably be insane since so much of it would need to be built out of carbon fiber and titanium. Every single nut and bolt would need to be scrutinized.

Torque is the reason the diesels struggle against the alky’s. LSS compounds the problem…… It is beyond me why no one realizes this

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 07:49AM
Torque is the reason the diesels struggle against the alky’s.

Colin and Jody Ross don't struggle against the alcohol tractors. They've proven that they can run with them every single week... week after week on all different types of tracks and even on short indoor tracks. If your logic held true that more torque is bad then you seem to be implying that Colin and Jody Ross are making less torque than the other guys in the DSS class and that's why they can run with the alcohol tractors. I guess I'm confused by your logic.

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

This page is a free service. The cost is covered out of my pocket. It takes a great deal of time and a fair amount of money to keep this website going. Donations for: photos, classified ads, forum discussion, etc... are appreciated.

Side Note: We are no longer accepting PayPal donations. They have changed their terms of service and stated they would fine PayPal users for spreading "misinformation" and "hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory". PayPal did not provide definitions for some of these vague terms. Woke corporate policies regarding "misinformation" could result in an automatic fine of $2,500 which would have been removed directly from the customer’s PayPal account. PayPal did backdown from some of their policies but quietly implemented portions of them in later terms of service. A financial institute has no right to monitor social media accounts or speech. This is unacceptable and I'll no longer do business with PayPal.

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 11:54AM
You don’t seem confused

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 01:34PM
So you're saying that the other DSS make more torque than Ross (that's why Ross beats them?). But he beats the Alky tractors too (does that mean they make more torque than Ross too?). So torque is bad? Torque in the LSS is even worse in your opinion?

I'd guess that Triple Bypass makes WAY more torque than ALL the alky tractors and is in the very top tier of the DSS class (if not the top dog).

Kudos to them that they don't let that huge disadvantage of too much torque slow them down Eye Rolling

Jake Morgan
Owner, PULLOFF.COM
Independent Pulling News

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 02:46PM
You don’t really grasp how horsepower and torque work do you? If you did you’d know why a 370 llss dominated a 470 diesel with the same charger and horsepower. You’d understand what happens to the torque curve in a 470 when you put a bigger charger on it. You’d understand why the llss class continually wants lighter weight classes particularly the spark plug guys. You’d understand why the prostocks have updated tires every year the last few years. You’d know that dss’s have always made significantly more torque than the alky’s yet (until Ross’) have struggled to even get close to an alky. You’d understand that hooking an engine with monster torque and no weight is a 1 in 100 feat. You’d know that if you can’t hook your tires because you have to much torque changing your engine setup to reduce bottom end torque in favor of high end horsepower you can hook your tires easier and go farther down the track and maybe just maybe be more competitive with the alky’s. Funniest part is it can even work when competing against their diesel counterparts.

Re: DSS in LSS April 10, 2022 04:33AM
Would it be beneficial to stuff a higher gear in it to tame down the torque or would the extra wheel speed/ potential slip offset anything there is to gain ?

Re: DSS in LSS April 10, 2022 08:09AM
That depends on how much torque you have vs the ability of the tires to hook it. The struggles of the prostock class with tires is a good example of this

Re: DSS in LSS April 10, 2022 10:26AM
Say what you want but I think that’s what makes the prostock class great, there was a discussion about allowing them 30.5 tires a while back but I like to see who can drive and manage power although the new 24.5s are getting pretty wide!

Re: DSS in LSS April 10, 2022 10:36AM
I don’t disagree with you. And I don’t particularly care for the new tire dimensions but when you keep making more torque that you couldn’t hook before something had to change and tires it was lol

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 12:52AM
The new tractor of Kenneth Hale/Ryan Henley shows promise in the LSS, pretty good running machine !

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 07:18AM
If Rules would Let Kenneth tractor have 200lbs it would be a great show.

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 12:22AM
In uss the alkyd are allowed 110 more cubes than a dss.most probably are close to that ,wouldnt ya think ??

Re: DSS in LSS April 09, 2022 05:49AM
patches
In uss the alkyd are allowed 110 more cubes than a dss.most probably are close to that ,wouldnt ya think ??

Hi Patches.
Someone familiar with current rules can correct if wrong, but I believe in the Open/USS class, the diesels are allowed the same 650 cubes the alcohol tractors are.
The rules for the DSS class limit to 540, but if a guy wanted to build a 650 diesel specifically for the Open/USS class, I believe that would be allowed. They would just not be able to run the diesel only class.

For you rules gurus, is that correct?

Re: DSS in LSS April 10, 2022 01:43PM
There definitely needs to be more smoke in LSS. Nothing gets the crowd going like an alcohol vrs smoke rivalry. This will make the class easier to sell and promote. Probably sell more beer and get people coming back. In turn growing the sport. All greath things!

Diesel tractors are definitely at a disadvantage.

Ross's are the only tractor to run on kill all season and have no major issues. And they really have it figured out! Congratulations to them for sure. There are other smokers that run with Ross's from time to time but they don't live that long. The Ross team is not the average or normal smoker. To say every diesel out there runs as good as them and holds together as good as they do would be a lie.

Alcohol tractors do have breakage but not as much as a smoker making the same power.

Smokers definitely make much much more torque and slightly less horsepower than an alcohol. The driveability of an alcohol and tunability is a major advantage. The alcohol motor can be tuned with ignition, boost, and fuel to come off the line with limited power and not over power the tires. This helps them put their power to the ground and get things moving. Then when they are hooked up they can RPM out. Alcohol motor will turn much more RPMs than a smoker. A smoker needs to be lit to come off the line and stay running. You can run the throttle to try and modulate the power on a smoker. But it's not something you can tune into the motor. All in all the torque advantage hurts a diesel. Especially in LSS where putting the power to the ground is key along with keeping your front end down.

The next absolute major advantage is weight. A smoker motor can make some jaw dropping numbers on the dyno. But then weigh each motor side by side. Smokers components need to weigh more due to their cylinder pressures. You can not use a stock block on a smoker. You need aftermarket re cast thicker blocks. Then tie the thicker blocks together. No aluminum rods in a smoker. No aluminum heads on a smoker. You need bridge iron for rods to handle the pressure. Also billet cranks. Solid wrist pins. Smokers build all of this cylinder pressure because they need to. The piston is still on its compression stroke with 300+ pounds of boost when it injects all of the fuel into the combustion chamber. That makes a huge pressure spike while the piston is still moving up. An alcohol motor does not run the advanced timing or boost levels that a diesel does. But it doesn't have to and it can not. A diesel does need to run this extreme boost and timing to make similar power as an alcohol. With the alcohol motor weighing so much less to make similar power you can not put all of that weight on the nose of the tractor on a diesel. Front end weight is key on a LSS. If you can not keep your front end down on a LSS you have to lower your hitch. And give up traction.

I do not think any DSS team other than Ross's could think of attempting this and be 100% even. And it would take a pile of very expensive parts to get the weight savings on the chassis to even up the playing field getting the front end to stay down. And once the chassis weight savings technology was there an alcohol tractor could literally do the same thing and the smoker would be at a disadvantage when they had it.

This is just my opinion. I do not claim to know everything. This is just what I have observed over the years. I do think we definitely need to get smoke mixed back into the top tier super stock classes. We need to get the rest of the smokers to be more reliable. And there should be a weight advantage in LSS. If smokers were dead even or had an advantage why have they all left OSS and LSS? Thanks for letting me voice my opinion!Beer

Re: DSS in LSS April 10, 2022 02:34PM
Diesels need 500lbs

Re: DSS in LSS April 10, 2022 02:57PM
!!!!!!!!
Diesels need 500lbs

Why?

Re: DSS in LSS April 11, 2022 06:07AM
If they give Kenneth Hale 500lbs, lookout !!! , Kenneth will be the diesel bada$$ in midsouth !!! It be very interesting !!!

Re: DSS in LSS April 11, 2022 02:58AM
!!!!!!!!
Diesels need 500lbs

No they don’t

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 07:41AM
I’d like to see how those Cummins would fare in a tractor with big tires and actually be loaded for more than a 100 foot of the pull. This isn’t meant to be derogatory either

Re: DSS in LSS April 13, 2022 08:12AM
MG1206
I’d like to see how those Cummins would fare in a tractor with big tires and actually be loaded for more than a 100 foot of the pull. This isn’t meant to be derogatory either

Likely bend a rod or break a crank but if you can keep the rpms up a little higher you reduce that chance.

The HP is likely possible with more CI, to compete in LSS.

Re: DSS in LSS April 11, 2022 01:59PM
Smoke Fan
There definitely needs to be more smoke in LSS. Nothing gets the crowd going like an alcohol vrs smoke rivalry. This will make the class easier to sell and promote. Probably sell more beer and get people coming back. In turn growing the sport. All greath things!

Diesel tractors are definitely at a disadvantage.

Ross's are the only tractor to run on kill all season and have no major issues. And they really have it figured out! Congratulations to them for sure. There are other smokers that run with Ross's from time to time but they don't live that long. The Ross team is not the average or normal smoker. To say every diesel out there runs as good as them and holds together as good as they do would be a lie.

Alcohol tractors do have breakage but not as much as a smoker making the same power.

Smokers definitely make much much more torque and slightly less horsepower than an alcohol. The driveability of an alcohol and tunability is a major advantage. The alcohol motor can be tuned with ignition, boost, and fuel to come off the line with limited power and not over power the tires. This helps them put their power to the ground and get things moving. Then when they are hooked up they can RPM out. Alcohol motor will turn much more RPMs than a smoker. A smoker needs to be lit to come off the line and stay running. You can run the throttle to try and modulate the power on a smoker. But it's not something you can tune into the motor. All in all the torque advantage hurts a diesel. Especially in LSS where putting the power to the ground is key along with keeping your front end down.

The next absolute major advantage is weight. A smoker motor can make some jaw dropping numbers on the dyno. But then weigh each motor side by side. Smokers components need to weigh more due to their cylinder pressures. You can not use a stock block on a smoker. You need aftermarket re cast thicker blocks. Then tie the thicker blocks together. No aluminum rods in a smoker. No aluminum heads on a smoker. You need bridge iron for rods to handle the pressure. Also billet cranks. Solid wrist pins. Smokers build all of this cylinder pressure because they need to. The piston is still on its compression stroke with 300+ pounds of boost when it injects all of the fuel into the combustion chamber. That makes a huge pressure spike while the piston is still moving up. An alcohol motor does not run the advanced timing or boost levels that a diesel does. But it doesn't have to and it can not. A diesel does need to run this extreme boost and timing to make similar power as an alcohol. With the alcohol motor weighing so much less to make similar power you can not put all of that weight on the nose of the tractor on a diesel. Front end weight is key on a LSS. If you can not keep your front end down on a LSS you have to lower your hitch. And give up traction.

I do not think any DSS team other than Ross's could think of attempting this and be 100% even. And it would take a pile of very expensive parts to get the weight savings on the chassis to even up the playing field getting the front end to stay down. And once the chassis weight savings technology was there an alcohol tractor could literally do the same thing and the smoker would be at a disadvantage when they had it.

This is just my opinion. I do not claim to know everything. This is just what I have observed over the years. I do think we definitely need to get smoke mixed back into the top tier super stock classes. We need to get the rest of the smokers to be more reliable. And there should be a weight advantage in LSS. If smokers were dead even or had an advantage why have they all left OSS and LSS? Thanks for letting me voice my opinion!Beer

Triple bypass has had some major failures just like the rest of the top DSS. They just get it fixed quickly. The top 8 or so DSS in the country can be shuffled together any day at any track. Only a few of them have the crazy impressive looking hook as they are going down the track. As much as it would be nice to see some smoke added back into a class, it’s not going to happen likely. Is it worth messing with a setup to compete in that class? And to build one for the class? The thought of it just cost me $10. Hell just run with the SSO and not change much and have a hell of a chance to win.

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 02:19AM
It is 100% possible for a really well built Diesel Engine to compete in LSS, the Challenges may make it not feasible to do. The Higher Torque Lower RPM power range and the need to hook the tire and pull the Engine down into its peek Torque range will require Huge front axle weight to control the tractor or make a good straight driveable run. The closer the tire speed matches the ground speed then the front end wants to go skyward! The costs of the engine upkeep would be definitely higher than a good well rounded alky program. The biggest challenge in my mind would be being competitive at any venue, the torque of the Diesels will struggle on mediocre to bad tracks, and lets face it all Pulling Leagues have bad tracks. I love the Diesels, would love to see this happen, but its a huge challenge, would take a Top Team with strong funding to do it, and Guys lets face it at the end of the day, all that's in it for them is Fans and Competitors on here bragging that I was right it could be done!

BB

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 03:01AM
Stormy would your thoughts be the same in the LLSS class?

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 04:34AM
Sort of David. For instance your 410 is a step in the right direction

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 05:12AM
This is interesting. Please explain your theory on why 410 is a step in the right direction.....I am genuinely interested to understand why.

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 07:44AM
The 410 with the intercooler ( from what ive seen ) just out perform the 470 with water injection, thats just what ive observed, i dont know why or the mechanics behind that thou.JMO

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 09:21AM
Interesting.

I would surmise it was known they were running the same turbo? It would be nice to know. It's a direction I'm considering, but have reservations about trying to make the weight accommodations for the cooler and associated plumbing and pumps and such. Seems to me it would be easier to dry block a 466 and run with no cooler. In my particular case the block weight and rotating mass would be the same (410 vs 466), save for sleeve & piston size.

Looking for constructive input on related comparisons. I currently have a 410 and have not chosen a turbo as yet........was not thinking the cooler route due to weight but could be swayed........

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 10:41AM
Richard Taylor from Scottsville,Ky runs one ( Rex Kuhns old tractor from Indiana) and it is very strong !!! I can't remember if the turbo is different or not, a quick look at the TNT rules will tell you, what brand are you building ?

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 12:30PM
Very simple explanation. Basically (applying this to llss). As cubic inches increase the torque increases and the torque curve moves lower in the rpm range. 370 alcohol motors don’t win because of torque. They win because they are more efficient and they hook up good and go

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 11:28PM
In reply to "?":

SBJD.......is a 404 right now with no plan to change in the short term. The stroke is same if I go 466, so only bore size changes.

In reply to ".":

Your torque theory seems valid from what I have been exposed to. That being said, in the case I am describing (where we don't increase stroke), will that torque curve still gravitate to a lower rpm range?

Thanks for keeping the discussion clean and informative. This is refreshing!

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 11:44PM
Before I answer your question I have a couple of questions. Do you mean since stroke is the same as the 466 Deere will your torque curve be the same? What turbo are you allowed?

Re: DSS in LSS April 13, 2022 04:17AM
In reply to ".":

Answer to your first question - yes. Stroke for 404 is the same as 466 and as such, is bore alone a major factor for torque curve movement? Essentially asking would all ci increases create a linear up/down torque curve movement regardless of the bore stroke combo (within reason of course). It seems to me from limited experience that stroke plays a larger factor than bore, but there are other factors to consider for sure.

Turbo is a muddy water question as it depends on which org LLSS turbo rule you go with (and this is part of the issue), but for simplicity lets assume a 3" x 3" w/0.200"(ish) groove as I feel there are many of these out there on the market (used) at this time.

In reply to "?":

4010 foundation would be accurate. This isn't necessarily a factor on the torque curve but yes nose weight could be an issue if not approached properly.

Re: DSS in LSS April 13, 2022 05:24AM
It will not be linear. B&S combination will affect the curve, However that to can be offset by cam and head design. For the most part cubic inches dictates a range you can run in and b&s is a fine tuning within the range.

The turbo is the biggest consideration because it dictates everything. More lbs/min=more rpm potential regardless of engine size. What people I think fail to realize is a 370, 410, and 470 all using the exact same turbo have the same horsepower potential. Each cubic inch increase lowers the rpm it reaches peak horsepower and increases the bottom end torque production

Re: DSS in LSS April 13, 2022 07:14AM
I agree with the theory on same turbo size vs ci = less RPM as the ci grows (think: Superfarm). I would also handily agree a cam and head (as well as piston design to an extent) can affect the result.

This has been an enlightening discussion. Thanks for your input. I will take this info into consideration moving forward. Probably stay 404 and dream of cooler maybe.

Re: DSS in LSS April 13, 2022 08:38AM
If you add the cooler just remember your going to add about 100-125 in weight to the tractor . I don't know your clubs weight. The cooler will help alot on the end of the run .

Re: DSS in LSS April 13, 2022 12:06AM
You should be fine on weight, im guessing a 4010 Foundation, if weight is 6000 or 6200lbs, those can be gotten very light, should be no problem to get it to 5200lbs range bare, others have gotten them lighter than that.

Re: DSS in LSS April 12, 2022 02:58AM
How much HP/Torque does a competitive Alcohol LSS make?

There are 391 CI Cummins making over 3500hp and some closer to 4000hp with two chargers.

Re: DSS in LSS April 15, 2022 03:47AM
4500-5000 hp but dont know torque.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,666, Posts: 229,748, Members: 3,327.
This forum: Topics: 37,074, Posts: 225,926.

Our newest member JD_8520