LLSS Alky distributors April 25, 2022 04:04AM
On a LLSS Alky tractor, what’s everyone running for a ignition and distributor or magneto or what works best? I assume someone makes a 6 cylinder setup? Would a magneto be better? I’m new to this and just looking for a little guidance. Thank you

Re: LLSS Alky distributors April 25, 2022 06:01AM
Most run at least a # 8 msd and on 6 cylinders usually run a Ford distributor like a late 70s 300 6 cylinder.Get a good coil to match the #8 also.

Re: LLSS Alky distributors April 28, 2022 12:15PM
My opinion on the subject (which is something else that everyone has one of) is that MSD's quality is not what it used to be. There was a time when every single alky tractor ran MSD exclusively, but not anymore. Some either know how to make it work or have legacy pieces that are still hanging in there. When you go to a magneto, the Pro Mag 44 has no equal. Due to the cost, I wish they were not legal, but there may be a scenario we can all run them someday.

My preference is coil near plug with a crank trigger and some kind of box firing the coils. It seems easy enough to plug in a laptop and adjust the timing by typing in what you want. With the crank trigger, it always fires exactly when its supposed to, to within a tenth of a degree no matter the rpm. The goal is reliability and there are several companies who can provide a good product, although the prices are very different between them.

Re: LLSS Alky distributors April 28, 2022 02:09PM
I ran a mag before I went with a MSD box, was carrying it across the yard to the shop after having it recharged an turned my ankle which in turn rotated the mag and " BAM" --- thought id been struck by lightning --- funny now but not at the time !!!!

Re: LLSS Alky distributors April 28, 2022 03:03PM
I really don't have must respect for MSD anymore or any company that "sells out" to another.

Re: LLSS Alky distributors April 30, 2022 01:49AM
The selling of these brands is just a part of the changing landscape we're seeing in the racing industry. Holley is buying up everything in sight. They had to so they didn't go the way of the carburetor. If you look at a couple names in fuel injection pumps, Stu Hilborn ran his company into his late 90's, Kent Enderle kept his company going into his late stages of life and Sid Waterman did the same. All 3 companies are owned by someone else with many of the products having been dropped. The new owners are just looking at profits over customer interests because they're trying to make money.

I really don't know what MSD's deal is, but they are not the only game in town. Thirty years ago when the Conner brothers, Blackbourn brothers and Brent Long were figuring this stuff out, they had no other options. Rich Miller never gets included in this conversation because he never had these ignition parts or the turbos these guys ran. He sold out to Forresters and is overlooked as the Super Stock innovator or revolutionary modified chassis builder that he was.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,579, Posts: 229,610, Members: 3,320.
This forum: Topics: 37,058, Posts: 225,859.

Our newest member Fechtner Racing